Tire blowout in Colorado Springs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys headed home today and blew a tire for some unknown reason about a dozen miles south of Colorado Springs. Curious if anybody has any ideas of possibly finding a used tire as I hate to buy a new set down here. Just something to get me home. I posted on their forum just in case anyone has a connection or knows of a good place to check out that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Sorry Darren that stinks! Red Line Cruisers is in COS, maybe they know someone local that sells used tires. Also, most tire shops will sell you the used take off's if they have some tread left.

Found one in CS at Ernestos this morning. Hitting the road again.

Interesting how the whole sidewall blows out. The hundy didn’t even flinch.
C21A4043-956D-4A4B-A6CD-9E49033D8AA1.jpeg

The blowout put a hole in the mudflap. Thought that was pretty interesting.
F2059330-D66B-4EBD-A541-045BDB521E6A.jpeg

Darren, I have a spare mud flap if the hole bothers you. I can bring it to the meeting Tuesday if you'd like.

This happened Friday between the Three Forks exits doing 70ish. It’s a Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alexa Plus. The AAA man jacked up the right side and the entire tire slide right off the rim in one piece. They were manufactured in fall of 18 but don’t have a lot of miles on them. Getting some KO2s tomorrow.

CDA9C88B-EB45-4074-B4C8-5883D4CF4A24.jpeg

40A8E0AE-5DB9-4379-A099-5D8D4885640D.jpeg

This happened Friday between the Three Forks exits doing 70ish. It’s a Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alexa Plus. The AAA man jacked up the right side and the entire tire slide right off the rim in one piece. They were manufactured in fall of 18 but don’t have a lot of miles on them. Getting some KO2s tomorrow.
That's so gnarly. Was the rim salvageable?

Yeah, curious too. My rim was barely nicked.

View attachment 2684333

View attachment 2684335

You could replace that one failed tire or now might be the time to install a 2 inch lift, Bud Built skid plates, Bud Built shock guards, drawers, RTT,...of yeah, and 4 new tires all the way around.

Are you all checking tire pressure on the regular? Full on sidewall blowouts shouldn't happen with good quality tires, but they absolutely can happen if you're driving around with underinflated tires. That's especially true at highway speeds.

Are you all checking tire pressure on the regular? Full on sidewall blowouts shouldn't happen with good quality tires, but they absolutely can happen if you're driving around with underinflated tires. That's especially true at highway speeds.
When I got up the following morning, I checked tire pressure on the remaining 3 Bridgestones. They were at 32 pounds cold. The door jam tag says 33 recommended. So I feel like I shouldn't have had a catastrophic failure. But perhaps after nearly 700 miles of driving that day (from SEA), then maybe I could have added a few pounds before I left to ensure my safety. Still... something doesn't seem quite right that if failed.

Yeah, curious too. My rim was barely nicked.
When I got the new tires last week, I made a specific request that the rim be inspected, and other than some melted tire rubber, they said it was fine/straight. And no real road rash that I noticed. Feeling a little lucky about that one since we were a touch sideways before I could get pulled over, and the least of my concern was the rim.

I read countless posts before settling on getting some LT275/55/20 KO2s, instead of the stock 285/50/20. And I found them in stock, which was a bonus.

However, since I had all 5 replaced, the tire shop did tell me that the rim my spare was mounted to was bent. Gotta love a little present from the previous owner.

Had I been at home, I think I would've splurged for some 18" LC takeoffs, especially now that I know I have bent rim, and then put some cash towards the toys that @4gotalot mentions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom