Tips/suggestions for rebuild of roof/sunroof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all

I have a 93 cruiser, lifted. Let my friend borrow it and he drove it into a parking garage. Sunroof is completely busted (see photos) but amazingly still watertight. Roof is dented down and sunroof no longer opens. I gotta figure out what to do with this thing. Body work was quoted at $6k for the damage so looks like I'm on my own.

Anybody have any suggestions for how I might rebuild this in a way that the sunroof can still open? I've been thinking about trying to turn it into a pop open sunroof or something since the roof is so dented I won't be able to get it to slide again. Was also thinking about maybe using clear plastic in place of the glass with a zipper of sorts. If it can't open again, I'll just bite the bullet and have the glass piece replaced so at least it's not messed up but I figure this could be an opportunity to do something cool with it. Also, since the roof is messed up, I'm not opposed to doing some kind of custom roof rebuild, maybe with a built in pop up or something of that nature.

Would love to hear any ideas you have or if anyone has ever been in a similar situation/done anything similar with their cruiser. Not in a huge rush because it's still watertight but the cruiser kind of looks like junk right now so I want to get this taken care of.

Thanks in advance
9D64D359-70F7-498C-A802-CD68EB648486.jpeg
C7B6B1D7-3374-4F22-9D79-A5074A769901.jpeg
80CD5AAB-F995-469B-902A-21BEBDF01E56.jpeg
9747F42D-8FB0-4E6F-9045-587FA3ECE682.jpeg

Remove the glass and weld a panel in its place.

^^ probably best or easiest option

if we could get the search function fixed id post a link to the Avacado. A build by dan kunz ..... that now goes by Vlad.

Or there was another PNW mudder that made his own pop top but also hard to find without functioning Search.

CriscoKid was making another run of campteqs not too long back or theres a a member here with an custom roof replacement tent by alucab i believe.

Last edited:
Agree with the above - either weld it shut and get the sheetmetal straightened out while you are there or do a roof top tent/pop top coversion. I suppose you could source another moon roof and replace it and have the roof dents repaired but what is the fun in that? :)

The sunroof parts are getting old and they're not going to be making any new parts.

I have several used sunroofs but it might be hard to ever get another to fit right. I would weld it up. Have fun with the headliner, the old style suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom