Tips on installing rear quarter window weather seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did your weatherstrip come with any sealant preinstalled? I took off my old weatherstrip, spent a long time cleaning it, test fit the new weatherstrip and when I went to take it off, it was already nearly stuck again with sealant that had been preinstalled. It was a little unexpected.

Did your weatherstrip come with any sealant preinstalled? I took off my old weatherstrip, spent a long time cleaning it, test fit the new weatherstrip and when I went to take it off, it was already nearly stuck again with sealant that had been preinstalled. It was a little unexpected.
Neither of mine had any sealant, that's interesting. Maybe that's why I had to dink with mine so much?

I replaced this seal on my truck for both sides. There was no sealant that I remember, neither on the original I removed or the new original I installed.

Did you install new sealant on your own? I was quite surprise when I started peeling off the strip after the test fit. At first I thought I'd done a poor job cleaning, but it was everywhere again.

When I installed mine it appeared to have a bead of sealant within the groove. It took some pressure to fully seat the gasket.
Yep, I’m with Awesomesquid on this. I’m just installing quarter glass seals in mine for the first time. The seals have pre installed gooey stuff. The groove is actually pressed shut due to the pre installed gooey stuff. You can gently pull open the groove and you’ll see that the groove is deeper and has gooey stuff inside. I had to tap mine gently with a rubber mallet to get it to seat fully on the pinch weld window frame. In the corners I used the round end of the mallet to push it tightly into the corners.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom