Tips on finding TDC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
Can someone please define and explain some easy steps to locate Top Dead Center (TDC). I have yet to successfully adjust the valves on my stock 2F, and know that TDC is important with this procedure.

This is one of those questions that I am embarrased to ask, but have never figured out on my own....despite buying the FSM.

Humbled....

Last edited:
One tip for finding TDC on any engine is use the distributor:
Pop the cap, mark the edge of the distributor where the #1 plug tower is located.
Rotate the crank until the rotor is getting near the #1 tower.
Now watch carefully (in the timing window on a Cruiser) for the actual timing marks or TDC mark to line up.

Note: this only works for an engine & distributor that was running. doesn't apply to a new build.

a remote starter is king when doing this to bump the motor over in little tiny increments....also indispensable when adjusting the valves

-db-

Just did this on my FJ60. I thought it was pretty easy to turn the motor with all the spark plugs out and trans in neutral. I just pulled the A/C belt to turn the motor while watching for the timing marks in the window on the bell housing. I've tried the remote starter dealio but never liked how it worked for me.

Nick

You don't need to find TDC to set your timing. It's indicated by a hash mark on the flywheel, where timing is set 7 BTDC.
Am I understanding your question?

7 BTDC is marked by the hole with the bb. TDC is marked with a straight line. Jwest is correct that to set your timing, you need the 7 BTDC mark, and if the engine is running, just use a timing light and twist the distributer (vacuum advance hoses removed and plugged) until the bb lines up with the pointer.

Last time I adjusted my valves (which requires finding TDC and TDC+360), I got under the truck and removed the flywheel inspection plate. This gives you a much larger view area than the timing window. I used a remote starter (with the transmission in neutral!) to bump the engine until I saw the timing marks. I used a marker to make the TDC mark more visible.

I think 2Mbb comments are quite helpful. I have yet to spot the bb marks on the flywheel and I think removing the cover would help me tremendously.

Does anyone have a photo they can post showing the correct marks on the flywheel? Aligned...etc.

just a bit of a bump.....so the call for pictures doesn't get lost.

Thanks.

This should give you a rough idea.

You line up the window indicator on the bell housing with either TDC which is marked by a hash mark " --- " through the window.
Or, 7 BTDC which is indicated by a circle " O ", or some say BB, if you're setting your timing.

If you're adjusting your valves, you want to roughly line the TDC mark. You can then start adjusting either the first or second set of valves depending on where piston 1 is relative to TDC.

timingmarkloc.gif

It's occured to me that maybe I should back up.

Here's how you can find the marks. If you're alone, put the trans in 4th gear and release the parking brake. Get a flashlight and shine it directly into the flywheel indicator window. Go to the front passenger side corner of the rig and note from your location whether you can see the window. Now, slowly push the rig backwards, keeping an eye in the window. Remember, since you're in 4th gear, you'll see that small movements in travel equate to large flywheel movements. Keep slowly pushing until the indicator marks on the flywheel begin to show. BTW, make sure you're on fairly smooth and level ground. An incline might make pushing the rig backwards too easy and you'll pass the mark.

Once you find the marks, take a white marking pen or white out and highlight both timing marks. Makes them more visible for next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom