Builds Tink's preservation - 1964 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took Tink out for couple of long runs today. Experiencing a brief, slight hesitation after shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd. The carb sight glass has lots of fuel. The glass fuel filter bowl has fuel in the bottom third of the bowl. Could the fuel slosh aft in the bowl during the acceleration after shifting and cause this hesitation? Any other ideas?

- pop your Dizzy Cap , all that frame pressure washing could have found it's way under the CAP and in the POINTS for sure !

- also , dump in a FULL QT. metal can of SEA-FOAM , i swear by the stuff , if and H2O / moisture creeped inside the tank , that will ZAP IT !

- NAPA is the best place to grab the metal can ......

- also , lastly the patina on the ABOVE OEM Gas Cap tells me the rubber gasket on the flip side could not be sealing well , and may have let stray moisture in ?

- i am totally digging the JDM factory yellow stencil work ! :)

what does LR2 refer to ?

img_3605-jpg.3075052

Thanks Matt! @ToyotaMatt
Tried your quick fixes. Popped the rotor cap and didn't see any moisture but left it off for a night. Added a can of SEA-FOAM to the gas. I checked the gas cap and found the seal still in good shape. Yesterday's proving run had less hesitation between 2nd and third gear. If the rain holds off I will go out for another and hopefully with good results.

Not sure on the meaning of LR2, maybe someone can chime in with an answer. I have seen it on other 3-speeds so definitely not a one off factory stencil.

Last edited:
Proving runs have gotten up to 40 miles.
1st issue is the temperatures have been consistently around 200 degrees when pushing it to 55-60 mph. Temp is around 175 when going 40-50 mph on the backroads. Also a whine from the rebuilt water pump is audible from the cab above 40 mph. I bought a NOS pump if this one fails. May need another flush of the cooling system with its original radiator.

2nd issue is warm starts are not as easy as a cold start. Is there a gas pedal technique that I should be using? Something else I should try?

Last edited:
Proving run of 52 miles. Warm day with the temp gage reading hot. Ran well though. Reading other threads I'm thinking I might try to find an original temp sensor to install and see if that changes the indications on the gage.
Had Tim TIG weld up 51 holes that POs put in the body. May try and color match some paint but try for some patina to match the rest of the 40.

Purchased an original green starter from @65swb45 a few months ago. Dropped it off at Auto Electric Service for a thorough check and refurbishment. The plan is to put it in to replace the newer starter that is in there currently.

Care package on its way to you tomorrow Matt
IMG_8178.jpeg

Thank you for your continued support. It means a lot right now, as business has been ‘thin.’

Last edited:
Matt, those castle nuts look different. Did you chuck them already? They may be OE, which was 1.5 coarse pitch in ‘64.

They have other uses on the’64.

Nice to see the starter in a good home. 😊

Matt, those castle nuts look different. Did you chuck them already? They may be OE, which was 1.5 coarse pitch in ‘64.

They have other uses on the’64.

Nice to see the starter in a good home. 😊
I think I threw most of them in the tub of parts for the next trip to the plater. :hmm:

Still a month away from bringing Tinker home from storage. Bought a few little items over the winter to install when she is back home. Busy spring and summer building a new detached garage. Shooting for completion over the summer.

IMG_4890.jpeg

Found an original tie rod end clamp bolt and put a Cruiser Cult/City Racer coolant overflow tank on over the winter. The bottle is a later version but keeps the coolant contained and is easily reversible.

IMG_4855.jpeg

IMG_4851.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom