Timing belt schedule (years vs mileage) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s not the belt that breaks, it’s the water pump seizing up, idler pulley seizing up or the tensioner failing that takes out the belt.
20yrs or 200k as long as you’re changing your engine coolant every 5yrs.
Engine coolant has a water pump lubricant in it, the lubricant wears out, the water pump bearings seize and takes out your timing belt. Everyone thinks it’s the belt that breaks, they are nylon belted just like tires, they do not break on their own.

What he said. I did mine and the belt looked fine, but the water pump had weeped some indicating that it was nearing end of life. They had about 10 years/80k on them.

A colleague of mine has a 2000 LC with over 250K miles, still running on original T belt and water pump.

I've encouraged her to get it done but she continues to procrastinate.

My 2002 LX470 has just turned 50K miles.
17 years on the original belt.
Running great, always garaged.
Personally, I'm more concerned that something might get F*cked Up tearing the Engine down.
BUT, I said to myself that I would have the Timing Belt replaced around 50K miles.

I do tow my Travel Trailer occassionally - does that put more strain on the Timing Belt?????

It is a toyota dealership. But now we're squabbling over whether the labor includes the entire TB kit. They only want to do the timing belt and water pump. No tensioner.

Doing the labor to change the belt without changing the tensioner is just plain stupid. In most cases, it's not the belt that fails, it's other parts, like the tensioner or WP.

A colleague of mine has a 2000 LC with over 250K miles, still running on original T belt and water pump.

I've encouraged her to get it done but she continues to procrastinate.

May as well see how long she can go at this point for the hell of it. From what I've seen on this forum for the pre-06 trucks, doubtful it will cause catastrophic damage anyway. But it's definitely going to ruin her day being stranded at the worst time possible (it never happens at the best time possible of course).

Toyota recommends timing belt replacement every 90k or 10yrs, whichever is sooner.
Toyota also uses long life engine coolant which needs to be changed every 5yrs or every 150k, whichever is sooner.
They say to inspect the water pump, timing belt tensioner and idler pulley when replacing the timing belt. They do not say to replace those things, only to inspect them.
If they wanted you to change the water pump every time you did the timing belt then why use coolant that lasts for 150k because you’re just going to drain it out at 90k. Makes no sense.
Timing belts are critical to the engine running, they are not going to scrimp on the manufacture of a vital part of the engine like that.
If you actually know how timing belts are made you’d understand why they do not break on their own, high temp synthetic rubber molded over Kevlar cords.
Your water pump will fail before the timing belt does, even if you do change your coolant like you’re supposed to.

Serpentine belts are the same way, they last forever. They start to squeal before they break.
Will it hurt anything to change your timing belt every 100k? Nope. Will it hurt to change it every 200k instead? Probably not. The odds are in your favor that the money saved will be better spent.
Is anything guaranteed? Yes, death, it is 100% guaranteed that you will die.

Mines at almost 100k miles and it's a '99. I bought it seven years ago with 67k and there's no sticker in the engine bay and I got no records with the truck so I don't think it's ever been done. Now that it's made the trip back from France successfully (got it yesterday! Yay!) I plan to do everything soon.

I subscribe to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".
Within reason that is.
I change fluids regularly, use quality fluids, and keep lookout for leaks and any strange noises.

I subscribe to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".
Within reason that is.
I change fluids regularly, use quality fluids, and keep lookout for leaks and any strange noises.

I am the exact same way.
Quality fluids and filters, pay attention to noises and fluid levels and take care of problems promptly.

Manufactures know (most) owners are not going to follow the maintenance schedule and so they design and build accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom