Timing Belt and Water Pump advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New Owner- 2009 Lexus GX470 one owner with 39,000 original miles (documented dealer service completed every 5,000 miles - car lived in Newport California) . I took the car to Lexus and had it thoroughly checked out. They gave me a list of items to do and some to watch and wait. The to do list includes new CV boots (EARLY leaks on both sides) and rack and pinion unit (small leak on both sides). Both of these considerations we disclosed before I purchased and I am good to have them done. The surprise was that they did NOT recommend the TB/WP. They appreciated my research highlighting that TIME and peace of mind was the trigger for me (and not the 39,0000 original miles). They will do it if I ask them to, but they think I am a bit over zealous and it would be a waste (quoting that car and other components just look too new including drive belt as a surrogate marker) - recommendation was to wait till at least 60,000 mile or a couple of more years. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would concur.

Unless the belts were exposed to extreme heat and the sun/UV for some odd reason and are dry-rotting from age, or cracking ect., I would consider them good. 39k is VERY low miles.

Put that money into sliders and tires!

...piece of mind...

Unless you blew your brains out in their service bay, I believe you meant peace of mind...

n1nji.jpg

I bought my '08 30 months ago with 118k. I read GXOR and this forum to see what recurring issues came up for owners. As a result, I immediately did brakes and fluids. A few months later, I did the radiator, WP/TB, thermostat, plugs, fan clutch, and hoses. I used PransLED clamps on my leaking CVs. I just had to have them redone, as one tore.

Despite the low miles, your truck is 10+ years old. I would ask yourself, how bad would you regret if the belt/water pump going out while you were driving? And how much would it cost?

Nice problem to have on a low mileage vehicle! I would wait. I’m surprised the dealer was honest! They typically like to fix everything per manufacturers recommendations to avoid future liability.

It sounds like your GX470 has lived the pampered life in SoCal. Lexus dealer maintained, garaged, regular car washes and waxing, maybe even complete detailing! Lol.

Nice find and with that pampered life and low mileage, I would definitely wait on the TB/WP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom