Time to Build a Crawler! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40's are a GREAT PLATFORM to build on.
However... 4 runner would be what I'd do if I had to do it over!!

40's are a GREAT PLATFORM to build on.
However... 4 runner would be what I'd do if I had to do it over!!

In spite of posting the FJ40 link I agree with this.

You can get a whole lot more bang for the buck with a Runner or mini truck/Taco.

WOW... I guess it's a sign that the wheeling season is close, but I just did a search for "crawler" on CL.... Holy crap!!!!! People are trying to GUT prospective buyers.
Prices are way higher than a few mos ago when o was helping my buddy Chris look!!!

Sorry Matt but me and pics and this comp just dont get along i can take them with my phone and text them to you maybe other than that let me know when your headin this way and ill give u directions so you can come look at it

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

Ok once again nice rigs but lots of money and no room to play your lookin at 3 and 4 thousand dollar rigs to build your gonna spend that and plus just to build a good trail rig so my question to you is why spend 3 to 4 grand to buy and then spend another 3 to 4 grand to build it it makes no sense bud buy cheap and build what you want dont spend all your money to buy it unless its already built how you want it. Unless money is no object then by all means spend away but if your like us you dont have butt loads of cash laying around to just blow on projects THINK ABOUT IT before you jump and regret it

Dan :steer::bounce::bounce2::beer:

Ok let me ask you a question Matt are you looking to build a SHOW RIG or are you lookin to build a TRAIL RIG if its a trail rig then you dont wanna spend 3 to 4 grand just to buy it its gonna get dents dings and rock rash sure you will put armor on it but it will get damage so why spend that much on somethin you plan to take out and beat in the hills and rocks think about this im not tryin to be an a****** but your not makin anysense here at all your lookin at clean nice rigs that you plan on beating on the trail they will get damage one way or the other and your plannin on heavy mods so why buy a 3 to 4 grand rig that your gonna change, mod and so on. thats all im gonna say about it

Dan :cheers::beer::bounce::bounce2:

I see what your saying Dan, but I dont want to buy a beat up truck that looks like crap before I even hit the trails. I want a decent looking truck that I can build into a nice trail rig. I wont be rolling the thing on its top every trip, so I do want it to look decent when I buy it. I dont know much if anything about older toyotas, so to me 3-4k could be a normal price. It seems that every other person on craigslist is posting their trucks for that or more, so I figured that was the normal price range.

I see 2000-2004 SALVAGE title tacomas being sold for 7500! Its crazy what people are asking for old toyotas period.

A HUGE part of what Im looking for is a truck that is running condition. I dont want to do a ton of engine or other work just to get the vehicle ready to go. Some PM work and I can start focusing on mods and not tearing the engine apart.

Matt,

Both of the rigs you posted, the 91 and the 4Runner would be great rigs to start with. I'd rather buy a good running rig and build it the way I wanted to, than pick up someone else's abandoned hack job.

I've always liked the idea of secure storage for my stuff, so that 4Runner is where I would start. They look killer when the top has been bobbed to match a shortened bed too.

I have a co-worker that has mentioned selling his 40 to me. He's owned it for 18-19 years and with the exception of white Jackman wheels with BFG. AT's it's all stock. I think it's a '78. I know it's one of the last years with the round bezel.

I've got pictures on the home computer, I think...

Ok i can understand that that Matt an yes people ask way to much for what they have everyone thinks they have gold. anyway like i said if your patient you will find what you want for a good price i know your excited about gettin goin on a crwler project but beleive me you will find what you want for a good price but it will take some time. the truck i have like i said its not beat and doesnt look to bad but it does have some body damage and im workin to get it driving again after a new/used trans install if your headin to Reno on your days off and wanna check it out first hand your welcome to stop by.............. Also if you check the Fallon news paper there is a rig thats been in there for a long while its partly built trail rig and the guys askin 5 grand but i think as long as its been up you could talk him down

Dan :cheers::beer::steer::bounce::bounce2:

I like that 4 runner!!!
Beautiful lil rig!!! I think it's a fair price provided it runs and drives well.
There's a lot to be said for doing your OWN BUILD!!! you know what and how was done! I dont blame you for taking that route!!
Only down side is you'll be paying a LOT more than you would buying something that has all the goodies on it.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

No solid front axle, but a CLEAN looking truck!

88 toyota 4 runner

no longer for sale. It looked clean!

I still dont have a definitive idea on what I want to build, but the older (1st gen.) 4 runners are looking better each time I see one built up. :hmm:

I like that 4 runner!!!
Beautiful lil rig!!! I think it's a fair price provided it runs and drives well.
There's a lot to be said for doing your OWN BUILD!!! you know what and how was done! I dont blame you for taking that route!!
Only down side is you'll be paying a LOT more than you would buying something that has all the goodies on it.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Exactly! I would love to find a rig with some extras, but a huge part of this is my dad and I putting our own work into it. Its also a risk picking up someone elses build cause you may find the work is done half assed. Ive seen many post on Reno4x4 where guys had to re-do all the bad work.

Matt i understand that you should be wary of someone elses build cause they might not have done the job right or the way you would I guess what im gettin at is you have a very capable trail rig in your 80 series cruiser. now that bein said what are you lookin to do with this rig are you lookin to go more hardcore or lookin to to do more medium type trails. if your lookin at more hardcore stuff then i would suggest that you find somethin decent shape good drive train and go from there. I use my fj40 and dont really care if it gets dents dings or rock rash but thats what its built for a play toy i take it to the trails and home if break ok np im not out my daily driver but it is a play toy and damage happens even when your not tryin to you can ask Rusty, Jack and the Rest of our club it happens. So i guess its really up to you what you want but i am tryin to help out and let you know that i play rough with my 40 and expect the damage that comes with it i push myself and my rig all the time. Im not tryin to discourage you at all just tryin to help out and lend some advice is all and i think Jack and several of the club members would agree with me on my statements i wish you well in your search and hope that you find what your lookin for Matt and if you need im here to help and bounce idea's off of if you want

Dan :cheers::beer::bounce::bounce2:

DiscoveredLC said:
Exactly! I would love to find a rig with some extras, but a huge part of this is my dad and I putting our own work into it. Its also a risk picking up someone elses build cause you may find the work is done half assed. Ive seen many post on Reno4x4 where guys had to re-do all the bad work.

Lol... That's like... 90% of the chevy swapped 40's out there !! Any motor swap Done by someone else I'd be leery of! EXCEPT MINE of course!! :)
My buddy chris just picked up a SEEMINGLY built mini truck. Then scratching the surface, the spiders were welded, and it had stock gears and just some weird stuff done. The upside to it was it did have TG low gear box.
Some people just HACK stuff together to get a rig running and it's a MESS for the next owner.
I MAY BE the cursed PO someday though, so I can't say too much at this point. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom