Time to Build a Crawler! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided its time to start a new project. I was talking to my dad the other day about how Ive been wanting to build a trail dedicated rig, but I dont have the space at my house. He said that sounds like a fun project and something that he would like to get involved in. So the two of us are going to make room in his garage.

I was thinking of an older toyota pickup with a solid front axle. Basically something that the two of us can buy for pretty cheap. Other than a lift and tires, we're going to be building all the rest. Cage, tube bumpers, sliders, etc... Maybe dovetail the rear and some other stuff.

Any ideas on what year pickup to look for? I know a lot of guys on here have done the same. Jack, what year was your last truck you just sold? What type of price range are we looking at?

Thanks!

85 was the last year of the solid axle and I think the only year that the motor was an EFI. After that, you get into the IFS, but... You can do a SAS pretty easily it seems.
Prices are all over the board w/ those. Folks who are selling them seem to know they are sought after and the prices reflect that.
That being said, there are pretty built rigs w/ lots of good mods done already for pretty cheap. (3-4 k).

Thats what I was thinking. If we find something with tires and maybe a lift that would help. As long as its not all cut up (thats half the fun!) Im fine with that.

Probably be better off posting a wanted add on the 4x4 sites then looking around on CL.

Don't forget to look for lockers, dual cases and re gears!!!
These things are selling pretty reasonably right now.

Don't over look 4runners, they make nice trail rigs and use most of the same stuff as the mini trucks. Probably easier to find an IFS version and do the SAS.

If it were me I'd do a Sammy.

If you decide on a Toyota Mini truck/4runner, forget worrying about finding an '85, unless you find a smoking deal. The ONLY thing they have going for them is the straight front axle. An '86+ IFS rig has much more going for it. You already will have the right steering box, the wider rear axle with the bigger axle tubes and bigger rear brakes and much more likely to have fuel injection. Besides, the '84-85's bring a premium (not sure why). Of course you can also look for a '79-'83 mini as well. There is all kinds of details on what year has what and why each is better. "Drippy" (the toy mini I had, now owned by FallonDan) was a '79, the first year for the factory Toyota mini 4x4.

There are more than enough kits to swap a SAS into an IFS rig, you can decide on whether to go leaf or even coil springs. As Keith mentioned, finding the t-cases, axles, etc. can be found used pretty easily/cheaply. You can even get a new front axle housings that are the right width for the rear axle without having to use spacers. And they are already made of better/thicker material than the factory front axles.

The biggest problem with either a Mini or a Jeep for that matter is the "buy in" price. Everyone seems to think they are worth a fortune.

Good luck on the hunt and build, should be fun (especially for us, we get to help you spend your money). :hillbilly:

Jack

If you decide on a Toyota Mini truck/4runner, forget worrying about finding an '85, unless you find a smoking deal. The ONLY thing they have going for them is the straight front axle. An '86+ IFS rig has much more going for it. You already will have the right steering box, the wider rear axle with the bigger axle tubes and bigger rear brakes and much more likely to have fuel injection. Besides, the '84-85's bring a premium (not sure why). Of course you can also look for a '79-'83 mini as well. There is all kinds of details on what year has what and why each is better. "Drippy" (the toy mini I had, now owned by FallonDan) was a '79, the first year for the factory Toyota mini 4x4.

There are more than enough kits to swap a SAS into an IFS rig, you can decide on whether to go leaf or even coil springs. As Keith mentioned, finding the t-cases, axles, etc. can be found used pretty easily/cheaply. You can even get a new front axle housings that are the right width for the rear axle without having to use spacers. And they are already made of better/thicker material than the factory front axles.

The biggest problem with either a Mini or a Jeep for that matter is the "buy in" price. Everyone seems to think they are worth a fortune.

Good luck on the hunt and build, should be fun (especially for us, we get to help you spend your money). :hillbilly:

Jack

Cool, thanks Jack!

I honestly dont know where to start looking... I havent found a thing on CL. Who makes the SAS kits for the 86+ trucks? I thought about pulling axles from an 80 and going from there. I'd have to do a lot of research on suspension setups and link geometry. I see all these fancy post of suspension geometry calulators on the net and it makes it look pretty complicated.

I dont think I would have a problem fabbing up mounts and links, just making sure the geometry is correct.

All pro, trail-gear and marlin all make SAS kits.
Are you looking outside reno on CL???

Search "crawler" on CL.

Cool, thanks Jack!

I honestly dont know where to start looking... I havent found a thing on CL. Who makes the SAS kits for the 86+ trucks? I thought about pulling axles from an 80 and going from there. I'd have to do a lot of research on suspension setups and link geometry. I see all these fancy post of suspension geometry calulators on the net and it makes it look pretty complicated.

I dont think I would have a problem fabbing up mounts and links, just making sure the geometry is correct.
IMHO 80 axles would be a bit wide.

Well if your lookin for a cheap truck i just seen this in Austin this weekend guy wants 500 for it dont know much about the truck except it is ifs prolly about an 86 maybe 87 extended cab body is kinda rough but inside looks ok mostly dents on the outside from what i seen PH# is 775-217-8420 Good luck with the hunt

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

Cool, thanks Jack!

I thought about pulling axles from an 80 and going from there. I'd have to do a lot of research on suspension setups and link geometry. I see all these fancy post of suspension geometry calulators on the net and it makes it look pretty complicated.

I don't think you will have a problem with designing/building a link system.

80 axles...width won't be a problem, they are only 5" wider than IFS axles.
Straight mini axles/40, 55 series axles are 55" wide WMS to WMS
IFS axles are at 58"
Tacoma are at 60"
80's are at 63"
The problem with 80 series axles are the offset rear axle, mini t-cases are centered rear output. The front axle problem is "hi-steer" options, they are getting easier/cheaper, but no where near what the mini/40/60 series steering options are.

If you decide to do a mini truck, just spend the money on a new fabricated housing. That way it can be built as wide as you want/need, plus it is a lot stronger than the factory front housings. I bent my first '83 housing on my 4runner. I located a '85 housing and used the bottom truss from the '83 and welded that on top of the '85 to keep it straight. Most people still bend the housings, which is extremely easy to do even with minor welding.

You should turn your dad's TJ (it's a rubicon isn't it?) into a Brute from AEV.
Money and time ahead
Brute Gallery

I really, really want one.

Jack

I don't think you will have a problem with designing/building a link system.

80 axles...width won't be a problem, they are only 5" wider than IFS axles.
Straight mini axles/40, 55 series axles are 55" wide WMS to WMS
IFS axles are at 58"
Tacoma are at 60"
80's are at 63"
The problem with 80 series axles are the offset rear axle, mini t-cases are centered rear output. The front axle problem is "hi-steer" options, they are getting easier/cheaper, but no where near what the mini/40/60 series steering options are.

If you decide to do a mini truck, just spend the money on a new fabricated housing. That way it can be built as wide as you want/need, plus it is a lot stronger than the factory front housings. I bent my first '83 housing on my 4runner. I located a '85 housing and used the bottom truss from the '83 and welded that on top of the '85 to keep it straight. Most people still bend the housings, which is extremely easy to do even with minor welding.

You should turn your dad's TJ (it's a rubicon isn't it?) into a Brute from AEV.
Money and time ahead
Brute Gallery

I really, really want one.

Jack

I ran 80 axles in my 85 runner with Slee Hysteer. It ends up being a cheaper axle to run then Minis due to the birfs being stronger, the housing is already guesseted, wider, elockers aready in place if you have locked housings, etc..

Here is the idea on the Width with 3" BS H1s and 39.5x13.5 IROKS
Width-tire.jpg

Last edited:
another option I have seen is 80 series axles in a taco... shortbed regular cab tacos are cheep enough..3rz motors and r151 trans..good combo.. then find someone parting an 80.. for the front end

Thanks for all the reply's fellas! I would really like to use 80 axles for the simple fact that I already have one and parts would be easier. I know how to tear them apart, and they are strong (and I'm no lead foot by any means anyways.). I just need to figure out what all trucks have an offset t case so I can use the 80 axles. I really want to build my own suspension anyways, so this should be fun. All of this is a learning experience so excuse my ignorance!

What about a 95+ taco? People want a ton of money for them though....

Thanks for all the reply's fellas! I would really like to use 80 axles for the simple fact that I already have one and parts would be easier. I know how to tear them apart, and they are strong (and I'm no lead foot by any means anyways.). I just need to figure out what all trucks have an offset t case so I can use the 80 axles. I really want to build my own suspension anyways, so this should be fun. All of this is a learning experience so excuse my ignorance!

What about a 95+ taco? People want a ton of money for them though....

the motors had HG issues! Plus, they are DOGS!!!
If youre gonna spend some cash go with the later model motor (3.4L) More poop to it and a better design.
That 3.0 is like a BLACK MARK on the toyota name!!! Yes!!! I am SERIOUS!!! I donno WHAT they were thinking when they designed that motor!!

Could always do a Vortec V6 swap!!!!:hmm::idea::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom