Time for a water pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2013 LX570 with 135k miles on it. One owner truck with dealer service records. I'm currently getting familiar with the vehicle and performing baselining (all fluid changes). While changing the oil I noticed coolant residue near the crankshaft pulley. I've read the 5.7 is known for leaking water pumps. I do not have records of it being replaced. The coolant is all dry and flaking, no signs of an active leak. Additionally, I've driven the truck 700 miles without any signs of overheating (monitoring temp via an ultragauge) or coolant loss. No detectable bearing noise or other strange behaviors while idling.

What are the communities thoughts? Is this an early warning sign or possibly evidence of prior repairs?

I can take more detailed photos if it will help with the diagnosis.

20210926_093136.jpg

20210926_093141.jpg

20210926_093153.jpg

Last edited:
You need to get a look at the bottom of the pump housing. If it was changed that portion will be clean, while residue may remain on the front of the timing chain cover below the pump. If the pump has crust too, you need one.

Also you’ve probably read about this but have a look at the top of the radiator for the infamous crack. If you have one starting and need a pump, might as well do it all at once.

This link will tell you a lot -

This link will tell you a lot -

Thanks, I'm deep into this thread after your recommendation. Unfortunately, it seems my radiator is developing the dreaded hairline crack. Having seen the images of the inner wall and outer wall.... beyond frustrating that a supplier (and Toyota) would allow this past a design review. On a critical system nonetheless. Must have been designed by an intern.

20210926_103246.jpg

20210926_103303.jpg

You need to get a look at the bottom of the pump housing. If it was changed that portion will be clean, while residue may remain on the front of the timing chain cover below the pump. If the pump has crust too, you need one.

Also you’ve probably read about this but have a look at the top of the radiator for the infamous crack. If you have one starting and need a pump, might as well do it all at once.

See prior reply with radiator images. It was difficult to get any better views of the water pump housing without removing components. Given the condition of the radiator, with its developing hairline crack, I'll be replacing both at the same time.

At least there's no timing belt service to go along with it!

I wouldn't say the 5.7 eats water pumps. Not even close. Though it is a maintenance item into higher mileage and it's worth figuring out if it's just weeping and needing replacement at some point.

For the radiator, yes unfortunate common design issue. The stress fraction on yours is super mild and likely has much more life in it. The hard part is knowing how much longer. Replacement would be best and the new ones no longer have this failure mode. As an option, the current one can be reinforced, especially at this early stage, such that it also eliminates the issue completely. Use any of the readily available radiator repair/patch kits to add a structural filet at that corner, which will remove the stress riser geometry to repair the issue indefinitely.

I had it all done last week. I got my parts from ToyotaPartsDeal and had an independent do the work. There have been quite a few updates to parts. This list represents the newest iterations right now.

A5A62951-C2FC-4828-A93D-33453496AE3B.png

F8877A2B-A45A-42D4-84C2-038A76DADD31.jpeg

There is also a PCV in there for good measure. The parts have all been cross referenced to Lexus parts (they are the same numbers) and went into my 2011 LX.

Either way, going into colder months, the tendency for pumps to weep for a long time without a common catastrophic failure, and your very early hairline crack, I’d say you have plenty of time to sort this out. Sorry for the reality check on your otherwise great new (to you) vehicle though

I wouldn't say the 5.7 eats water pumps. Not even close. Though it is a maintenance item into higher mileage and it's worth figuring out if it's just weeping and needing replacement at some point.

For the radiator, yes unfortunate common design issue. The stress fraction on yours is super mild and likely has much more life in it. The hard part is knowing how much longer. Replacement would be best and the new ones no longer have this failure mode. As an option, the current one can be reinforced, especially at this early stage, such that it also eliminates the issue completely. Use any of the readily available radiator repair/patch kits to add a structural filet at that corner, which will remove the stress riser geometry to repair the issue indefinitely.
I took your advice from another thread and just used black JB Weld Plastic epoxy. Rated for 600F and appears to be holding quite well. My crack propagation was similar to OPs and I’m not too worried about it.

Either way, going into colder months, the tendency for pumps to weep for a long time without a common catastrophic failure, and your very early hairline crack, I’d say you have plenty of time to sort this out. Sorry for the reality check on your otherwise great new (to you) vehicle though

Appreciate the empathy but I'm in good spirits. My other vehicles (Discovery 1 and an e36 M3) have required far more extensive cooling system work. Although neither had a design flaw baked in like this!

I had it all done last week. I got my parts from ToyotaPartsDeal and had an independent do the work. There have been quite a few updates to parts. This list represents the newest iterations right now.

View attachment 2796340

View attachment 2796341

There is also a PCV in there for good measure. The parts have all been cross referenced to Lexus parts (they are the same numbers) and went into my 2011 LX.

Really appreciate this. I'll cross reference with my 2013 to verify fitment, this gives me a huge head start. Thank you.

Noticed there was a coolant splash, seems to be closer to thermostat, might be water pump. Any thoughts?

8F493AFF-0A68-45CF-A822-7CEC997F8DB4.jpeg

326AB7FD-FE79-4525-9EBC-76CE4F6C0DDD.jpeg

42532B0F-9A43-440D-B51D-20CFA63F308F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom