tig arc welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy fellas been a long time reader for over a year now just never had to post. You guys seem to have this fj60 deal rapped up tight and every question I needed an answer to I've been able to find in a seach. Thanks for all the info.But I hab question that I was hoping someone on here could answer.
Don't know if this sounds stupid or not, but here goes. Looking at buying a tig welder and most all that I see will also stick weld as well. Well I've already got a 180a stick welder, can I convert this thing to tig by adding a tig torch and gas? Man this would be a lot cheaper than buying one of those setups. Also being just a beginning welder don't really want to spend momas nest egg.

Thanks Gents,

Dan

Go to your nearest Lincoln (or whatever brand your old welder is) & ask them. It's often cheaper to get a new rig instead of converting. Why not just get a Mig?

phourwheel'in said:
Well I've already got a 180a stick welder, can I convert this thing to tig by adding a tig torch and gas? Man this would be a lot cheaper than buying one of those setups. Also being just a beginning welder don't really want to spend momas nest egg.

Thanks Gents,

Dan

yeap, assuming you have a DC capable machine.
stick runs on DCreverse(electrode +)
tig runs(alum is AC) on DCstraight(electrode -)
it's just a matter of switching the ground and the stinger around.
they have dealies where you just clamp the tig torch lead in the stick rod stinger. then run the hose to the flow meter.
just need to get a torch that has a gas control on the torch.

really you should tract down a local weld supply shop, there's alot to say and i'm not a fast typer. they'll be able to hook you up.

you might want to look at a new TIG machine, with HF and AC. sell off the old one to help fund the new one.

you can get some real slick units for not too much nowdays.

sounds like what you have been looking at will have a stick option as well, so no loss... just gain :)

if you plan on doing lots of alu. thicker than sheet, go 300A min and water cooled.

you'll be happier with a HF machine, the old scratch start gets tired fast!

TIG is the shizzle :grinpimp:

and ya... what "brian" said too.

crusty

brian said:
yeap, assuming you have a DC capable machine.
stick runs on DCreverse(electrode +)
tig runs(alum is AC) on DCstraight(electrode -)
it's just a matter of switching the ground and the stinger around.
they have dealies where you just clamp the tig torch lead in the stick rod stinger. then run the hose to the flow meter.
just need to get a torch that has a gas control on the torch.

really you should tract down a local weld supply shop, there's alot to say and i'm not a fast typer. they'll be able to hook you up.

SMAW (stick) can be ran either DCEP, DCEN or AC. Just depends the rod you are using and what you're after. More/less penetration, deposition rates, and thickness of material. All 3 types of current have their advantages and disadvantages.

GTAW (TIG) can run on all 3 too. Other than that, I don't know much about TIG.

If you have a AC only machine (cheaper or some older machines) then you cannot turn it into a scratch start tig setup. If you do, then SS Tig is an easy way to go. You will need a Air cooled torch though. they really are not all that expansive at all.

Additionally, if you have a AC/DC machine that will do Tig you can get a ready welder and plug it right in ;)

Yes it is an AC only machine. Sounds like selling the thing and funding a real macine is going to be the way to really get satisfaction.
Thanks for all the replies.

Later

Overlord said:
GTAW (TIG) can run on all 3 too. Other than that, I don't know much about TIG.

try running tig on dc reverse, and tell me what happens ;) :doh:

brian said:
try running tig on dc reverse, and tell me what happens ;) :doh:

:D gungone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom