Ticking noise coming from CV? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that I know of, .. I have never seen that happen.
Maybe I have a suspension or steering issue then. I'm getting the what seems to be the classic CV ticking/creaking/popping noise when turning slowly but also when I'm in park and not moving.

@CruiserFan88 I wouldn't call my CV angle terrible, but they are definitely not ideal. I tried to avoid the DD when I installed my lift. There is lots of conflicting information on lift height, UCA selection, tire size, wheel offset, dd and KDSS relo use, and CV angle on here. I've learned that I can't base my setup and parts choices on another member, even if that person has the same year model, lift, tire and wheel as me. We just seem to get different results somehow. I am actually heading to a local shop tomorrow to drop the truck off. They are telling me my CV issues and rubbing is common with a 200 lifted over 2", they don't recommend a DD because it only drops the front of the diff, and it's not necessary when the truck is properly lifted. I honestly might have them pull the coilovers and lower them slightly, which should improve my current handling characteristics and CV angles. I bought the ironman kit pre assembled at 2", but got 4" which has settled to about 3.5". But even that is hand measured center of hub to fender lip, and my OEM suspension had 107k miles. I am hoping this shop that has a lot of experience dialing in lifted 200s can just help me sort this out properly.

Yes all true. If you go past a 2" lift with a LC you are going to have to start messing with the geometry somewhere. Drive train angles after 2.5". Recommendations on any forum are just that. Sounds like you are bringing to a decent shop. They brought up valid points that almost every shop misses unless they have a lot of experience with lifted rigs. Especially a LC. I can do the work myself but rather take it to a pro for a proper suspension lift. They are just more knowledgeable, know all the little tricks, know the major brands and sre more efficient. And they really dial in the alignment no excuses no matter the size of the lift. My basic lift of 2" on old emu's took 2.5 days. Sounds very high but they found a few minor things to be addressed while they where in there and really dialed it in. Rides like it's on a fixed rail now even with a lot of weight added all around. I can't complain after hearing soooo many issues of DIY lifts. It's been 3 years now and the alignment has not moved at all even as a DD in 4X4 and harsh use.

Really hope it turns out good for you.

That CV angle appears to be terrible, is that supposed to be an acceptable angle for an LC with a lift and no diff drop? I've had to replace CVs on my Tacoma due to the CV boot rubbing on itself due to the lift, similar to how your old CV is chaffing in your video above, eventually the rubber wears on itself until it rips and grease starts to leak out. And my CV angle is much more relaxed than yours appears to be. Based on my experience, I don't think its a coincidence your CV started to deteriorate so soon after your lift was installed. I wouldn't be surprised if you were doing this job again sooner than you would have hoped. Did you do the lift or a did a shop install? I'm not saying its not installed correctly, rather is that supposed to be "acceptable" for tolerance purposes.

There seems to be an influx of people reporting CVs breaking or needing replacement over the last 6 mos to a year and I don't think its due to the parts failing from normal wear and tear. Sure in some cases the scenarios were extreme situations but a number of other cases appear to be lift related. I've been on the fence about lifting my own but am holding off due to this exact reason. Its mostly a "been there done that" experience with the other truck, replacing CV boots every 4-5 years...At least its a pretty easy job if you line it up with the brakes being replaced.
The second video is with the front of the truck in the air and the suspension fully extended. With it on the ground I doubt it would look so extreme.

Maybe I have a suspension or steering issue then. I'm getting the what seems to be the classic CV ticking/creaking/popping noise when turning slowly but also when I'm in park and not moving.

Since it does it while not moving should be easy to get someone to listen while the wheel is being turned and locate it.

Likely something loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom