Ticked off at the TT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

I've been reading the TT since it was in black and white and have never had a problem untill I got my March/April issue. I know the TLCA needs money to keep the new generation TT as nice as it is, but the big ARB add on the back cover is too much. At least ARB could show a little respect by using Cruisers in the add photos and not j#*ps, and maybe the TT should be more carefull publishing such a generic add. The TT should be Toyotas from front to back.
Thanks for the vine, Devo #2380

Wow,
Bob, it is just an ad. I had not even noticed it.
(Actually I was saving this months TT to read while my wife was in labor (no I am not kidding ;) )
The Mag has gotten better with every submission lately. Well, except for the large Texan contingency that appears to write for it now ;)
ARB has made products for LC for a very long time now. Would you not buy a winch because it was advertised by a Land Rover?

It's ads like this that allow TT to be in color, now if you were selling this ad would you make a stink and take a chance on losing the ad????
Mace if you don't like the Texas articles write one and send it in, how about showgirls in Cruisers from Vegas :D :D :D
That would for sure piss off the women readers :eek:
Butch

your view point is appreciated Devo and probably shared by others in the association.

and more importantly, thanks for your continued support over the years! Please do not let the one ad you're uncomfortable with change your opinion about TLCA.

Many thanks!

Mace if you don't like the Texas articles write one and send it in, how about showgirls in Cruisers from Vegas :D :D :D
That would for sure piss off the women readers :eek:
Butch

And My wife :D
Actually I have a bunch of stuff. Just have to actually make sure it works first ;)
Doe't worry, I have LOTS of pics and ideas of what I have recently done to the cruiser. Then everyone can laugh at me ;)

Tony, don't worry I'll continue to support the TLCA for a long time into the future. One bogus add won't effect my loyalty.
And yes I have done plenty of business with ARB/OME. Lockers,bumpers, suspentions, coolers. But when the back cover looks like a generic 4x4 mag. I get concerned. We are not a generic association. This club was raised and is held together by LandCruiser and Toyota owners and I feel that the persons selling the adds and TLCA should always respect
that.
And I think the TT is an awsome publication that is getting better all the time.
Devo

I'm sorry the ad upsets you to this degree. That said, ARB has a series of ads that they use in a multitude of publications, only one of which is Toyota Trails. If Trails was to ask them for Land Cruiser only specific ads, we'd immediately lose their business, and quite frankly, we can't afford that. I did mention to the BOD prior to running the ad that it featured a Jeep, and the response was 100% -- who cares? I believe the ad they're running in the May/June shows a Jeep as well, so you might want to tear off the back cover and recycle it before you read it. Again, I am sorry that it upsets you, and in a perfect world, there would be no Jeeps in Trails. My world is far from perfect though.

TJK

Uhh, I didn't notice the non cruiser content of their ad, guess I'm dense. I did however take the time to call their 800 number, ask for their marketing person, and thank them for supporting tlca and advertising in our mag, and told them that thier support does make a difference in what I shop for. Just my .02, Alan in tornadoalley

I disagree Todd,

I looked over this issue of Trails very critically to try to see the differences a new Editor brings to the publication. I noticed a few things, (the paper most notably) and the only thing that bothered me was that ARB ad. Personally I shrugged my shoulders and let it slide. I'm very happy overall with the issue. There have been ads from ARB previously in every issue I can remember since it went color, NONE that I can remember had anything other than a Toyota. Previously the ARB ads were 'home made' with TLCA members rigs, Of hand I can remember Henry Cubilan's, Chad Keon's, Henry Brimmer's, Jim Brantley,s, and Steve Morris's to mention a few.

I don't find it a huge issue and I love the magazine and its future, but historically ARB has been flexible and I believe would continue to be.

Cheers,
Bruce

Yo TJK, Great issue by the way
aktion035.gif

As far as the ARB add, it could have been worse ... it could have sported a pig
aktion052.gif
(that was meant to be a joke everyone).

One comment on the paper though - the cover that is - for the first time, some of the ink was coming off onto my fingers.  Never had that happen unless I was reading the NY Times - so just a comment - of course maybe my hands were sticky from reading it so much  
grinning-smiley-008.gif

See ya next weekend.

My Two Cents:

If your biggest complaint is that you didn't like a small picture on the back cover add, my feeling is that Toyota Trails is doing great! Many things could be wrong with the mag, ranging from (1) no magazine at all (2) no color (3) only 5 pages of content (4) poor layout (5) poor editing etc etc etc! That your bigest complaint is a tiny pic most people don't notice indicates that TJK managed to bring the Trails through an editor transition seamlessly, and maintain, if not increase the quality! Kudos to Todd and Trails. My biased opinion!

I agree with wngrog I have owned, do own, will own most of the models he's listed.

And If we don't unite with the other makes on a different level. then We will all be buying all season radials for the highway 'cause that is the only place that will be available to ride

The new series of ARB ads actually began under Henry's direction, but quite frankly had little to do with either one of us. ARB bought the ad space from Chris, and supplied us the ads to place in the magazine. Yes, this is a change from the past, but it wasn't the Trails staff (past or present) who made the decision -- it was ARB. The first new ad they placed was in the Jan/Feb, and it ran in the interior to accommodate Henry's front and back cover concept. Red 70 series featured, and I don't recall whether there is a non-Toyota seen in that ad or not. I guess Chris could have said to ARB, sorry, we're Toyotas only, but I can promise you we would have immediately lost their business (or at least their business would have reverted to the less lucrative, 1/2 page interior ad). And I suppose I could have told Chris to tell them we wouldn't run the ad, but with the same results. Trails is an extremely small magazine in most respects, and as such we're not always calling the shots, within reason. If Chris comes to me and has an ad that defiles Toyota, or is simply not Toyota related in any way, sure I'll say no. But ARB is a long time supporter of Trails, and had just become even more committed to us by buying the higher dollar ad. I just don't have enough of an issue with those tiny Jeep images to think it warrants pulling the ad.

One more thing. I don't expect I can make everybody happy all the time. But I will listen to what everybody says all the time. It's your magazine, if you don't like it, let me know and I'll do everything I can to remedy the situation. But bear in mind that there are often multiple factors at play, so one opinion doesn't always entirely influence the decision.

I'll talk to American Web about the ink on the cover. &nbsp:Didn't happen to me, maybe the ink density is varying a bit, but that can be resolved.

Onward.

TJK

Those who whine here should be prepared to publish a magazine en toto if they do not like what they see.
To rip off Abe Lincoln somewhat, "You can satisify some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time.........."

If you can be all things to all people, I want a piece of that action............ :beer:

Please don't bitch unless you have a fix.......

I would sugest a polite way of asking if they have any adds with Toyota's in them. and how it may help with there target audiance. But by no means should we not run the add, or make them feal unwanted.

I didn't notice, and still havn't looked close enough. I can't afford ARB, but when I get the $ together first thing I plan to get from them is a fridge.

Dudes, back off of ARB. They are a quality company that produces quality products. The ad is a generic ad. let it go.

FWIW, ARB has genreously donated gift certificates to every TLCA sanctioned event this year. 8 events, 8 Gift certificates good for 40% off anything they make or sell. That includes IPF, ARB, OME, and Safari.

They are also trying to attend at least 1 if not 2 events this year, just to show their support.

Just so oyu know...
Rob

If only Toyota sent us the late model SWB & others that are marketed elsewhere in the world, I'd own my first new vehicle. I used to look at J**ps and think "I own a real wheeling machine!" now I wonder why Jeep continues to sell solid axle suv's, has barely changed their body style, has a good hold on the market and yet Toyota deserted the US SUV (emphasize UTILITY) market. I don't blame ARB for using a Jeep. Maybe they see that eventually po' folks like me won't be able to afford wheelin' their cruisers and what is the next best thing? Kief.

i live in ARB land up here in Seattle , and they are some great people not to mention they buy there boxes from the company i work for so i get to go there about once a week , I have wheeled with the crew from arb , in canada for about 4 years now and they all drive something diffrent , A toyota tacoma , lots of jeeps , a suziki summer salt , there some great people to wheel with and like the person said earlier its not what you drive its all about , we should not be worried about the jeep guys we should be worried about the tree huggers , because if they getthere way we wont have a place to wheel , just my two cents besides if it werent for heep's we would never get a chance to use our straps or winches

:slap:i cant believe that some peoples lives are so small that they would be offended by something like that.its a truck!get over it! :tear:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom