Thule rack on 4x6 trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do all think about a setup like this on a trailer,im really thinking about leaving trailer open because i would use it a bunch for trips to lowes etc but i also need to haul a few kayaks quite a bit.I know i could make some square tubes that slide into one another but this seems way cleaner,i found one for 375 and there normally 800.
A lid would be nice about 50% of the time.We prefer to ground camp.
Or do you think a lid with a thule or yakima rack with load bars mounted flat to lid.
Pic is example of how trailer will look.

245E8335-36EF-4792-B1FD-783EB2431FA9.png

30484512-BEE7-4BCB-A781-12345CE1A6A4.png

A buddy of mine used something similar on his trailer. Not Thule but a knock off of sorts.

2016-10-29 18.03.32-2.jpg

I know a lot of folks like the lids on these little trailers but being able to haul stuff without dealing with a lid is nice. I guess if the trailer is only an overlander then lids are good. But I would like to use mine for other things so bars that come off would be the way to go.

I plan on adding a rack of some kind to mine and use a tarp instead of a lid:

2016-08-03 08.40.12.jpg

I have some PVC tarp bows under the tarp to shed water. To haul things taller than the trailer I simply remove the bows and tarp. The trailer is a '46 Bantam civvy and has stake pockets inside it. I plan on using those to make some brackets that sort of waterfall over the sides of the trailer so that I can then add some sort of load bars to it while still allowing use of the tarp. HTH.

Last edited:
I just did something like this. I had an old 5x7 utility trailer that was sitting around doing nothing (I ended up buying a bigger trailer years ago). I also had an old ladder rack that I bought for my pickup on craigslist years ago that was sitting out in the woods rusting away. The thought occurred to me to combine the two useless pieces into a RTT trailer.
IMG_3225[1].JPG

IMG_3227[1].JPG

IMG_3229[1].JPG

IMG_3231[1].JPG

I did a quickie axle flip on the trailer, cut the rack down in length to fit the trailer, welded on some mounting tabs for the RTT and there you have it. It is definitely a light duty trailer and I would never take it on trails, but it will do fine to get me to most of my State and National Park camp spots. The RTT comes off easily so I can mount it to the top of my 80 in a matter of minutes for serious off-road camping. RTT lives inside my shop suspended by an electric hoist most of the time. I spent $30 on a tongue jack. The rest of this set-up was just junk I was not using. Another upside to this setup is that I can still use the trailer as is (with rack attached), or remove the ladder rack by loosening 8 clamps and lift it off. It won't win any overlanding awards, but it works for me for light family camping.

One reason i like the thule is it gos up and down 29 inches.I could also mount my arb awning even if not carrying kayaks and raise it when i get to camp.Down all the way,up 15 inches with canoe under it and 2 kayaks etc on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom