Throttle cable play? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm kind of nervous to post this here today, but here it goes..

Another newb to the LC world and am trying to locate some help with the throttle cable in my 94 FZJ. I have searched the forums and have been reading through the FSM and Haynes manual that I acquired and cannot seem to find anything to do with the throttle cable or linkage. My truck seems to have a little bit of play on the accelerator pedal where I thought the throttle cable may need to be tightened? A bit spongy at first press but it gets up to speed just fine. However, when you put your foot to the floor I feel like there should be more there. This is the first 80 series I've owned and driven so I don't know if this pedal feel is "normal" or not. Drove a few 100 series before deciding on the 80 and it both trucks we drove didn't feel this way. (obviously different engine, trans, timing belt ;), etc)

I'm just trying to locate a thread or section in the FSM so I can check it out to see if that is, in fact, the issue. Thanks in advance everyone!

The throttle cable should be adjusted at WOT. The pedal and throttle linkage should both hit their limit stops at the same time. Confirm that there is no obstruction at the pedal, floor mat, gummy bears, etc, it moves to full range. Fully loosen the nuts on the throttle body end, have a helper hold the pedal to the floor, pull on the cable sheath until the throttle is at WOT, turn the sheath side nut till it touches the bracket, then tighten the other nut. Operate the pedal several times to confirm that it just touches the WOT stop.

The amount of play at Idle is irrelevant.

The throttle cable should be adjusted at WOT. The pedal and throttle linkage should both hit their limit stops at the same time. Confirm that there is no obstruction at the pedal, floor mat, gummy bears, etc, it moves to full range. Fully loosen the nuts on the throttle body end, have a helper hold the pedal to the floor, pull on the cable sheath until the throttle is at WOT, turn the sheath side nut till it touches the bracket, then tighten the other nut. Operate the pedal several times to confirm that it just touches the WOT stop.

Really nice answer. I've wondered about this but never followed it through well enough. I'll be checking mine.

Bro. Thank you for the detailed response. 🤙

Once the old lady gets home from work I'll be checking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom