Throttle Body Replacement Question (relearn?) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2004 LX470 with about 210K miles and I am about to replace the throttle body. Is there a procedure to reset/relearn the electronic throttle body (mine is drive by wire, not drive cable). I did some searching but came up with some mixed procedures. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee
2004 LX
2000 LC

I believe all it needs is to build the profile in the ecu again so as the @CooCooCaChoo said just reset the battery and the ecu should learn the new settings.

Btw it will likely run on higher rpms initially on start up for a trip or 2 but will come back down to normal rpms after it does its learning.

@CooCooCaChoo and @BnvS THANKS! Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of just disconnecting the battery.

Before I saw your post, I found a couple of YouTube videos with a procedure to relearn throttle body for Toyotas (not necessarily LandCruiser/LX470). Anyway, here is what I did per those videos:
1. Turn key to On (don't start) and make sure everything is off (AC, radio, etc.), then key turn off.
2. Turn key to On for about 2 seconds, without starting, and then turn off.
3. Turn key to On again, and then start the engine.
4. Put the e-brake on, and put my foot on the brake.
5. Put the car in Drive and sit there with the engine running in Drive, foot on brake, and e brake on, (not touching the gas pedal) for about 5 minutes.
6. Then shut off and take e brake off.

While the engine was running in step 5, the RPM started out at about 1,000, but over time it would drop a little at at time and eventually settled in at about 600 (maybe 650). I'm not exactly sure what idle RPMs should be in Drive with foot on the brake, but this seemed about right.

I drove around the block and everything seemed fine.

If I notice any strange idle or throttle, I'll do the smart thing and disconnect the battery...

THANKS

Lee

I replaced the throttle body with a brand New OEM unit.

Disconnect the battery (I always do when I pull wire plugs connected to ECU). Then wait few minutes. Unbolt the old throttle body and install the new unit. Refill coolant, plug wires back again and connect the battery wire, then start the engine. Mine stayed at about 1000 or so RPM as it normally do on cold start and dropped it to 550 or so after warming up.

Also, install the small coolant tube that connects the throttle body to the coolant bridge on the front coolant outlet and a new gasket between the intake manifold and throttle body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom