three alternatos in three years! Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this a coincidence..? I'm starting to think not

On a ride out last weekend i vaguely noted that my voltmeter read higher than it would normally do. Not by very much - maybe a needle width or two, nonetheless it is higher than it would normally go and I hawk-eye the gauges when out on a trail so I know ;)

Anyhow, all was fine, no troubles; but yesterday on a short run the dashboard lights go on and voltmeter reading no charge :(

I remember thinking when i saw the gauge go up, 'ahhh, might have trouble with alternator' but nothing happened over the next couple of days. Now i am wondering if there is a possible problem with a voltage regulator or something? What are you thoughts? Three alternators in three years, is some going!!!

Thanks ~PHIL

Do you do any mudding where the motor is getting splashed? If so you killing them like i use to. Stay out of deep mudy stuff if its the case.

Until I went with a Mean Green (now on year 4) I went through an alternator every 1-2 years. It didn't matter if it was a Toyota remanufactured unit or a local rebuild. It appears that the VR is the weak link - at least for me. Since new units are unavailable you may want to try MG or live with the 1 year (or so) life.

Well, i did an unusual thing for me and dropped teh car off at an autoelectrician. he has diagnosed a faulty voltage regulator, so it seems i was right - at least i hope that is the end of it). Says it is all steady now, so i will pick it up in about an hour and see what happens. Will post an update, if warranted.

Thanks for the replies. Incidently, does anyone know if the splashguards are available to buy new? The ones that fit in the front wheelarches - mine have long gone, leaving the alternator exposed to mud, etc;that was probably a factor in the demise of alternator 2, but i don't think the whole story.

Well, i did an unusual thing for me and dropped teh car off at an autoelectrician. he has diagnosed a faulty voltage regulator, so it seems i was right - at least i hope that is the end of it). Says it is all steady now, so i will pick it up in about an hour and see what happens. Will post an update, if warranted.

Thanks for the replies. Incidently, does anyone know if the splashguards are available to buy new? The ones that fit in the front wheelarches - mine have long gone, leaving the alternator exposed to mud, etc;that was probably a factor in the demise of alternator 2, but i don't think the whole story.

I'm pretty sure the shields are available with CDan at American Toyota. I was able to find the little black retaining clips that hold them to the body.

Incidently, does anyone know if the splashguards are available to buy new? The ones that fit in the front wheelarches - mine have long gone, leaving the alternator exposed to mud, etc;that was probably a factor in the demise of alternator 2, but i don't think the whole story.

I saw some on sor.com recently as well, but couldn't find the link this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom