thoughts or opinons on this BJ74... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Behemoth60 on this forum drive an automatic HZJ74 and he said it was horrifying for it's lack of power and pickup.

That's me.

I drove an automatic equipped HZJ74 for a day. It was the first time in my life I had ever had suicidal thoughts. As a recovering auto-survivor, I now draw strength from that experience.

That machine is waaaaaaaaay overpriced! Even though I am a suffering automatic lover!

You were considering spending over 20 grand on a 1986 vehicle? You have to ask yourself , Am I gonna keep this vehicle for a very long time or are you gonna turn around and sell it when your wife says she is pregnant again, this time somebody else is the father.

Oh yes, and that "rollbar" is made of sheet metal for the seatbelts and dome light to attach to, and the BJ74 (to my knowledge) didn't ever have suspension seats.

Craig.

Optional on all 7* series(and 60)

No ones answered Killyridols question yet,how much is it worth in Canada?
Not being there Ill take a guess and say its worth $14K ,IF the mileage is genuine.

I saw that thing up for sale this time last year if I remember correctly. Mine is for sale; Check your PM's (Personal Messages)

Last edited:
thanks all, again, NOT looking to or intending on spending 20 grand on this particular rig (realize thats silly). the impression i get from the owner is that he's fairly convinced this is what its worth (would explain why its been for sale for more than a year now)

the more i think about it the more im leaning towards dumping the HDJ81 and building my beloved FJ62 up proper, which would mean diesel conversion first and foremost i think...

This is what I'd expect to pay for a really good BJ74 (or HZJ)
1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Convertible - British Columbia Cars For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.

Toyota Landcruiser 1992 RHD HJZ 73 ZX - British Columbia Cars For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.

I bought mine for $8k, and I know of at least 2-3 others which went for <$10k.

I converted mine to a LHD and sold it for $12k, and for upwards of that I would expect breasts against the windshield when I looked out of it. I see there is one or two in Alberta for ~$15k which are good but still overpriced I think:

1989 Toyota Land Cruiser - British Columbia Cars For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ 73 Wagon - Alberta Cars For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.

There was one on here that was $27k last week, and if some oil tycoon bought it for that price, more power to the seller.

I LOVE the BJ74 and the 13B-T, and if I was to buy one again I would not pay more than $10k.

Craig.
While I to would love to pay < 10K, I find it somewhat unrealistic. I bought mine out of Calagary with a known blown engine, but at 4 K that looked OK, 2 years later I have a great truck, engine completely rebuilt with new pistons bearings etc. But its still a 1989 BJ 74, with ~ 240 K on the clock. today with $ 900 transport to get it to Ottawa, new windshield and frame, other minor body work, paint job, new tires, suspension lift kit, rocker protectors, ARB Rear Locker, custom rear bumper +++, I am well over 16K into this toy. So... I could have paid 15K for a well equiped vehicle and saved a lot of blood and tears ! ( of course we now have an intemate relation that perhaps I would not have had if I purchased the truck all done up. And as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, these trucks turn heads, rarely do 3 days go by that someone does not strike up a converation about the truck. Last guy I spoke to worked at some diamnod mines in affrica and drove one of these ! he could not stop the praises of these vehicles LOL ) All this to say, the BJ 74 is a beautifull truck, some people are dumping them at less than 10K but you need to look closely at whats included, a locker is at least 1K per axel, plus installation, so right off the bat the 21 K vehicle has > 3k right there !

If I had the chance to do it all again, id buy a newer model with the 4,2 L likle my HDJ 81, the 13BT is a work hourse but the 4.2 L is a power house, especialy when intercooled!.

it is worth what you are willing to pay and not a penny more. simple.
as an importer since 2001 and after bringing in and selling more than 200 vehicles i can tell you, you WILL NOT find a nice condition BJ74 out of Japan that isn't a roll back for under $14K delivered to Alberta.
you MIGHT find a decent enough BJ74 already "Canadian enjoyed" on the market for under $14K. we did go through a depression of Land Cruiser prices for a couple years where you could pick one up for cheap.
i don't mind the auto if the engine is turbo'd, if it is NA then the auto can be a slug. Peter (behemouth) can't drive an auto, i bought an auto van off him that had been "Peterized" and, well, to be nice, Peter really should never even sit in another auto ... of any sort. His take on an auto can be dismissed as predudice.
the 13BT manual is NOT a nice off road vehicle, throttle is way too sensitive and the auto absorbs much of that issue.
of course there are those that don't agree, those are also the same ones that will chop off their foot to prove a point.

IF i was shopping for a 73/74 series, i would buy the HZJ73 in a heart beat and turbo and call it a day. same or better fuel mileage as the 13BT, better power, no sensitive throttle issue, no parts supply issues, all round much better rig.

<shrug> each to their own.

the "roll over panel", as it is called by Toyota, would definately not be classified as a "roll bar" in the normal consideration of the term. it would be as strong as the old FJ40 "front roll bar", as called by Toyota.

!

it is worth what you are willing to pay and not a penny more. simple.
as an importer since 2001 and after bringing in and selling more than 200 vehicles i can tell you, you WILL NOT find a nice condition BJ74 out of Japan that isn't a roll back for under $14K delivered to Alberta.
you MIGHT find a decent enough BJ74 already "Canadian enjoyed" on the market for under $14K. we did go through a depression of Land Cruiser prices for a couple years where you could pick one up for cheap.
i don't mind the auto if the engine is turbo'd, if it is NA then the auto can be a slug. Peter (behemouth) can't drive an auto, i bought an auto van off him that had been "Peterized" and, well, to be nice, Peter really should never even sit in another auto ... of any sort. His take on an auto can be dismissed as predudice.
the 13BT manual is NOT a nice off road vehicle, throttle is way too sensitive and the auto absorbs much of that issue.
of course there are those that don't agree, those are also the same ones that will chop off their foot to prove a point.

IF i was shopping for a 73/74 series, i would buy the HZJ73 in a heart beat and turbo and call it a day. same or better fuel mileage as the 13BT, better power, no sensitive throttle issue, no parts supply issues, all round much better rig.

<shrug> each to their own.

the "roll over panel", as it is called by Toyota, would definately not be classified as a "roll bar" in the normal consideration of the term. it would be as strong as the old FJ40 "front roll bar", as called by Toyota.

A standard BJ 74 is not a nice vehicle to drive off road ! W>T>F R U saying!

Some of us have come up with a cure for the sensitive throttle issue. Its called a screen door spring, since I am arrogant , I will call it an "Aaron" spring!

I took the bait LOL !

Peter (behemouth) can't drive an auto, i bought an auto van off him that had been "Peterized" and, well, to be nice, Peter really should never even sit in another auto ... of any sort. His take on an auto can be dismissed as predudice.

In fact, that van was the source of the suicide agreement that my wife and I now share. My take on auto's should be a warning to you all... not dismissed.

bah... the 13B-T throttle IS sensitive, agreed. It CAN be terrible off-road... agreed. You have to learn to drive with that much power. I chopped off my foot and use the bloody stump of my leg as a linear actuator to control the throttle. :hillbilly: Or perhaps I wedge my foot against the roll bar, and that prevents undulations of the trail from moving my foot up and down and stabbing the throttle uncontrollably so I can enjoy the enormous bottom end power potential of the 13B-T off-road instead of fear it as Wayne does. Seems that maybe Wayne is the one who can't drive Manual transmissions behind powerful DI diesels. :hmm:

:lol:
if i remember correctly, you and i recieved our BJ74 manuals at the same time and even had a race to see who could get the top off first.
i "learned" to drive a manual 13BT vehicle in short order, jamb your foot against the kick panel and ROTATE your foot on the throttle. it can be done but i have known owners to actually sell the BJ74 manual due to that condition.
me, i drive what is under the hood. auto, manual, IDI or DI, makes no difference to me.

but, you and an auto?? <shiver>
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom