Thoughts on LC Wheels for LX570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Cruiser wheels on my LX570 with 275/70R18 SL General Grabber ATX tires.
32 vs 33 on LX570.jpg
20211106 IMG_9849.jpg

20221008 IMG_0647.jpg

Whats a good tire size for the LC wheels on a 2016 +LX with no mods?

275/65/18?
285/65/18?
Either one. You can go up to a 33” with minor mods to the wheel well plastic.

The 275-65 will have no rubbing the 285-65 could have (or could not have$ very slightly rub at full lock.

I have an opportunity to buy 4 LC 18" wheels from a 2016 LC for $500 locally. I actually don't have a 200 Series as yet, but I plan to buy an LX570 in the next year or two, and I'd like to run 34's on it. I'm thinking the LC wheels will be a good option to run a 275/75 18 tire. I don't like the idea of running 20 or 21 inch rims on an off-road vehicle. I also prefer factory rims for the low attention factor, durability and quality. The wheels have a little rash on the outside face from transit, they are not in perfect condition. Lug nuts are included in the price.

I'm thinking that with more people buying the LX as a trail vehicle, LC wheels may go scarce and get more expensive. Similar to how other Toyota rims have increased in price (Tundra BBS and Tundra Rock Warrior come to mind). Thoughts?
I bought a set of 4 Tundra BBS wheels and had them in my basement for 6 months before I bought my LX

These wheels are in near-constant supply on Denver craigslist, so i wouldn't sweat buying the wheels before you get the truck unless you find a particularly sweet deal. I got TRD Off Road Tundra wheels with 285/75/18, which was the exact size I was hoping to run based on my online research (and a pretty rare tire size) for $700. They're a little over half worn, so not a screaming deal, but a relatively cheap way to try out the size. Now I'm convinced I'll go with full fat 12.5" or 315's the next time around and probably size down to a 17" wheel.

^Agreed. Don't skip leg day. These big bootied LXs are better balanced with full fat tires. There's no KDSS to deal with making 275s unnecessarily narrow.

Stockies are generally 285s. Don't have to give up width to gain height. IMO, 295s and up. Smaller diameter wheels are a strategy but so are going to larger diameter tires. Or both.

35x12.5R20 or 34.5"x12.5"
1678831265149.png

305/55R20 or 33.2"x12.5"
1678831390644.png

^Agreed. Don't skip leg day. These big bootied LXs are better balanced with full fat tires. There's no KDSS to deal with making 275s unnecessarily narrow.

Stockies are generally 285s. Don't have to give up width to gain height. IMO, 295s and up. Smaller diameter wheels are a strategy but so are going to larger diameter tires. Or both.

35x12.5R20 or 34.5"x12.5"
View attachment 3272413

305/55R20 or 33.2"x12.5"
View attachment 3272414
There is more sidewall and better impact angles on a 285/70-17 at <33” OD, than a 35x12.5 r20 at ~35” OD.

Im putting it on a diet going 34x10.5r17 next in hopefully a KO3 when that happens.

Trying to fix scrub much as possible, and limited in my 17x8.5 wheel width. I’m personally going to a more square profile. Im pretty attached to my wheels though. Otherwise im going to an 18”.

There is more sidewall and better impact angles on a 285/70-17 at <33” OD, than a 35x12.5 r20 at ~35” OD.

Sure it's a factor and there's many more good reasons to stay at a more reasonable 33" size with a 17" wheel. There's also good reasons to go up to 35" for more traction, real clearance under diff, floatation footprint with more supporting sidewall. Pair a 35" tire with a small wheel may be great for rock crawling where maximizing sidewall is a goal. I'd argue smaller wheels are not always win-win, and most don't rock crawl to that extreme. A more stable sidewall on a larger wheel will have more day to day balance, stability, and handling. With arguably more overall capability than any 33s independent of wheel size.

Last edited:
Sure it's a factor and there's many more good reasons to stay at a more reasonable 33" size with a 17" wheel. There's also good reasons to go up to 35" for more traction, real clearance under diff, floatation footprint with more supporting sidewall. Pair a 35" tire with a small wheel may be great for rock crawling where maximizing sidewall is a goal. I'd argue most don't rock crawl to that extreme and a more stable sidewall on a larger wheel will have more day to day balance, stability, and handling. With arguably more overall capability than any 33s independent of wheel size.

I agree, i may be at too much sidewall when i upgrade again on 17s. Its got its perks in stability and starts to tradeoff in comfort as you get thinner.Im sure there is some golden ratio for oems, at least before everyone went to 22s and skinnys somewhere in the early turn of the millennium… you can thank rap music for that one lol.

One more thing ive found as ive studied this is the higher the profile and sidewall, the harder it gets to properly balance and keep balanced. This gets even more true as your tire starts to weigh 2-3x what your more “static” machined wheel weighs.

The general rule for general off roading (not rock crawling) has always been tire OD should be ~double rim diameter.

The general rule for general off roading (not rock crawling) has always been tire OD should be ~double rim diameter.

I would also postulate that for each 1” in sidewall gained (or 2” in OD) a sidewall ply should be added (gain in load range).

When i go 34” they will be D loads, luckily that is the current BFG / Toyo carcass for that size.

Otherwise you will need to compensate with pressure, what rigidity is lost in the shell.

I don't disagree. It's why many factory Raptors, TRXs, Jeeps come with 17" wheel sizes while rocking 35s.

I got some newer (‘22 or ‘21) 18” LC rims as I could not stand the 20” rims that came with it. I paid $600 for the rims and tires but this was in anticipation of getting some meatier tires later. I think the rims look decent on the LX 🤓

A69F4B9E-6BC3-4A4A-A1FA-B72FD76D91A2.jpeg

I got some newer (‘22 or ‘21) 18” LC rims as I could not stand the 20” rims that came with it. I paid $600 for the rims and tires but this was in anticipation of getting some meatier tires later. I think the rims look decent on the LX 🤓

View attachment 3273445

Thats a great price.
For some reason the offerings around me in Austin are really rare. Ive been on offerup and fb 5x150 group and dont see deals like this.

Wish i had a second set to diagnose ride quirk stuff that goes sideway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom