Thoughts on Hitch Extender? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is a longer shank different from a hitch extender?

From a leverage stanpoint none. However, because there is one additional joint an extender will amplify any slop.

How is a longer shank different from a hitch extender?
Almost all the ones I’ve seen are not intended for use while towing, they are made to mount hitch boxes or bike racks on the back or a snow plow on the front. Look for a reputable name in hitches and check the specs, avoid anything Chinesium and ignore their specs.

As promised, removable trailer jack. It just pulls out. I got this at Tractor Supply.
7D86EC0D-FC42-4B52-A5B8-42916AB61138.jpeg

The longer you move the pivot point from your hitch the heavier your tongue weight, the opposite will happen on the trailer side so keep all that in mind and good luck.
I found a calculator online at one point and did the math, it results in about 10% TW increase per foot of length.

Good visual and calc tool:

Link
Bingo that's the calculator I used. OPs weights may vary but the (C) wheelbase and (D) receiver to rear axle should be the same. Finding (D) took me a while.

As you can see in my setup adding 7" of length moves 46# worth of weight to the rear axle. Given my 863# tongue weight that's about 5% difference for 7", which equates to ~9% per foot. (Note that hitch length is based on center of receiver to center of hitch head, which is why (E) is longer than the Curt diagrams which show 14" from hitch pin hole to hitch head mounting holes). You could play with the weights and extension lengths to fit your scenario but the loosely stated "1% per inch" rule of thumb I found online is reasonably accurate if not a tad conservative.

1666638490479.png

1666638476859.png

thanks…. I will get something like this to get me by until I figure out what to do.
Further…. Had a very helpful discussion this morning with Slee. Good outfit.

Anyway, the most helpful discussion ….perhaps…“new information” was related to the trailer itself and what my current experience is when pulling the trailer with my pickup. (One poster’s comment was that double axle trailers would have different tongue loading compared to same size single axle trailers.)

The trailer is only 7x12 …. double axle….and is a “camper conversion” type of unit. I’m kinda slow on the uptake, but realized that I have been trying to load gear up at the front of the trailer….to get a bit more tongue weight so as to reduce Wyoming wind sway. Clearly, the front axle of this trailer is carrying more load than the rear axle, but am pretty sure the axle is nowhere near overloaded.

To make it short, I will try just enough shank extension to clear the tire and see how that works. I already expect that I will not like the extra jostle and “looseness,” but we’ll see. I’ll wait on the trailer tongue extension.

Thanks for the help….

Tanglefoot

Further…. Had a very helpful discussion this morning with Slee. Good outfit.

Anyway, the most helpful discussion ….perhaps…“new information” was related to the trailer itself and what my current experience is when pulling the trailer with my pickup. (One poster’s comment was that double axle trailers would have different tongue loading compared to same size single axle trailers.)

The trailer is only 7x12 …. double axle….and is a “camper conversion” type of unit. I’m kinda slow on the uptake, but realized that I have been trying to load gear up at the front of the trailer….to get a bit more tongue weight so as to reduce Wyoming wind sway. Clearly, the front axle of this trailer is carrying more load than the rear axle, but am pretty sure the axle is nowhere near overloaded.

To make it short, I will try just enough shank extension to clear the tire and see how that works. I already expect that I will not like the extra jostle and “looseness,” but we’ll see. I’ll wait on the trailer tongue extension.

Thanks for the help….

Tanglefoot
How long is your existing ball mount? If it's fairly short why not try one of these instead? Curt makes one 12.25" (receiver pin hole to ball mount hole) and Hidden Hitch has one that's 15.75". You'll still deal with the extra leverage but you won't have the potential slop or strength issues which happen by simply using an extender?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom