Thoughts on Bring A Trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never used BAT and have no experience with them...
Even though I didn’t expect my Prado to go quickly, I am wondering if BAT makes sense. Any words of wisdom on selling here?

I haven't bought or sold anything on BAT yet, but I've spent some time there. For anyone who hasn't checked it out, you can find it here.

Sometimes stuff sells for grossly inflated prices, but I've also seen some screaming deals. I think it's like any auction, real or online: success depends on the right person seeing it at the right time.

Land Cruisers in general are popular on the site. I see a ton of 40s and 60s cross the block. There have only been a handful of 70-series' in the last couple of years. I recall being a little disappointed in the sale prices. I think the sellers probably could have gotten a little more in a private sale with some good promotion and some patience. You can search past sales and maybe find something similar to yours for comparison.

Good luck. I would suggest submitting a TON of photos and being very active in the comments area.

I haven't bought or sold anything on BAT yet, but I've spent some time there. For anyone who hasn't checked it out, you can find it here.

Sometimes stuff sells for grossly inflated prices, but I've also seen some screaming deals. I think it's like any auction, real or online: success depends on the right person seeing it at the right time.

Land Cruisers in general are popular on the site. I see a ton of 40s and 60s cross the block. There have only been a handful of 70-series' in the last couple of years. I recall being a little disappointed in the sale prices. I think the sellers probably could have gotten a little more in a private sale with some good promotion and some patience. You can search past sales and maybe find something similar to yours for comparison.

Good luck. I would suggest submitting a TON of photos and being very active in the comments area.

thanks so much for the feedback! I have been looking at the site and may go there eventually. I might try the patience thing for a bit longer... 😁

Vehicles in really good shape, low miles, manual transmission, detailed photos/disclosure and very active sellers in the comments tend to do the best on BAT. I've seen some RHD examples met with skepticism, probably because the SUV/Truck crowd can be less familiar with imports than the car crowd, but not a limiting factor. Ultimately you have the option of a reserve, and the option to negotiate if the reserve is not met, so I wouldn't be concerned about the selling price if you've already spent quite a bit of time trying to do a private sale through normal channels.

As others have mentioned, YMMV with BaT, but from my time watching the 70 market there you might have a hard time getting what you want. A comparable example to your rig seems to be this one: 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. It only got to $15K, but the seller has it on their site for almost $27K. It looks in great shape, so would need the right seller to come along.

I'm sure you've seen other folks on this forum also mention that there are some challenges for sellers on BaT. They get to influence starting price, reserve prices, etc. which could limit the return. Worth exploring, but patience may rule the day if you want top return. For what it's worth, acquaintances have good success simple things like Craigslist or eBay (non-auction), or getting regular sellers of the style to post on commission. Return to the original seller to see if they can flip?

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback!
I have looked at past sales and 70s don’t seem to do well on BAT (as you guys mentioned). Doesn’t seem like the best fit for my rig I guess.

Pictures. Pictures. Pictures! People impulse buy like crazy on there and things sell for way over price and it’s usually killer pictures In those cases.
the 70 series tend to sell for less unless it’s a desirable troopy or very clean LHD manual.

60 and 62 series are going crazy right now.
Prados, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom