Thoughts on BJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been casually in the market for a 60-series for a while. I'd love a fuel injected truck with a 5-speed but those are pricey.

I'm looking at a BJ60 with an added turbo that appears fairly well sorted. I'm sure it needs some work as all 35-year-old cars do, but seems like it might be a less expensive way for me to get a 5-speed (and no carb).

Any big downsides to a 3B with an added turbo that I should know about? What do you all think about one of these trucks for around $11k?

Screenshot_20210513-090806.png

Still love mine, running strong after all these years! Mind you, its still normally aspirated...

It's a good engine, though quite anemic in a big wagon. Parts availability could be a problem. The wire mess isn't impressive.
If the rest of truck is in good shape then it could be a deal at $11K.

It's a good engine, though quite anemic in a big wagon. Parts availability could be a problem. The wire mess isn't impressive.
If the rest of truck is in good shape then it could be a deal at $11K.
The wiring mess and the cheap cone air filter do give me pause. Why do you think the wiring would look like that?

I can't tell what the wiring is for. Shoddy work, for sure. George above is more observant and asks important questions. Some critical parts look to be missing.

Umm, where are the parts? Is it missing power steering lines, and reservoir? And a front driveshaft? This is a crappy picture, but the story it tells right now is to run away. Send pics of the rest of the truck.
I think it's a manual steering truck. Seller says the driveshaft was getting a seal replaced and has been reinstalled now.

Great callout though. I will pass.

I know a lot of guys that take out the 3Bs/turbo 3Bs from 40 series as they're so slow. You can do the math for a 60 that uses the same engine

The body of the truck looks really nice which is why it's tempting at $10k. But 4-speed, manual steering, and no A/C are all tough for city living.
Screenshot_20210513-123857.png

Screenshot_20210513-123820.png

Screenshot_20210513-123922.png

I have a turbo'd 3B in a 60, its not fast on the hills, but is pretty reasonable on flat ground. I have the boost turned up to 11, so I run out of engine cooling on hot days and hills. that truck looks like its in nice shape and would fetch more than $11k up here.

The 3B as a different input shaft on the transmission than the 2F, so you would need a B series H55F if you wanted to put in a 5 speed, as the 3B doesn't rev as high as a 2F. Its pretty happy cruising at 2500RPM.

DSC_1059.JPG

I’ve worked on that 60. Its is a absolute pile of s*** and worth $1k max, and that’s just because it has new springs on it (which I installed). The rest is 100% scrap.
looks like someone picked it up and slapped paint on it. Everything from the doors down is 100% bondo, the rest complete farmer hackjob.
Do not buy that 60

if you look closely you’ll see that the exhaust manifold is 2” square tube with holes torched in it, held to the cyl head with all-thread and conduit straps. I installed the boost gauge, and it makes zero boost. That turbo is there for looks. Ask the seller for a good pic of the turbo oil drain and see if he sends one, that oughta deter you enough.

WOW thank you. I'm so grateful for this forum. Appreciate the warning, Matt. I will run away.
I’ve worked on that 60. Its is a absolute pile of s*** and worth $1k max, and that’s just because it has new springs on it (which I installed). The rest is 100% scrap.
looks like someone picked it up and slapped paint on it. Everything from the doors down is 100% bondo, the rest complete farmer hackjob.
Do not buy that 60

Do not buy that 60

if you look closely you’ll see that the exhaust manifold is 2” square tube with holes torched in it, held to the cyl head with all-thread and conduit straps. I installed the boost gauge, and it makes zero boost. That turbo is there for looks. Ask the seller for a good pic of the turbo oil drain and see if he sends one, that oughta deter you enough.

NICE heads up.

and the clutch and brake reservoirs are low....and is that a brace for a pulley attached to the fender on the driver side?

It's this same truck with a repaint. I'm still stunned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom