Thoughts on 255/75r17? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've searched the forum and the Google for both pictures of either GX's or 4runners to try to find a definitive picture of a 460 on 255/75r17's mounted to 7" wheels. I haven't found what I'm looking for I guess?

Typically I'm pretty confident in tire and wheel choices, but since having purchased some Toyo Open Country AT2's in a 265/75r16 on 8" wide wheels for our Tacoma and not being happy with the look (tread width too narrow so tire looks slightly stretched) I'm super hesitant.

What my current "plan" for the wifes GX is 255/75r17's on TRD Pros with a 2"-2.5" lift. Since tires are expensive I dont want to do it twice.

My reason for not doing 275-285/70/17's on it are that I dont want the rubbing, extra rolling weight plus I believe the 255 will do better in snow and ice. Also, 275's arent available in the Yokohama G015's we plan on getting.

So, what are everyones thoughts or experiences? Does anyone have this wheel/tire combo currently?

Thanks in advance!

Laurence

That's the exact same size tire I ran on my GX prior to lifting it (and even after for a few months) except that I was running the 18" flavor (255/70/18) on the stock GX460 wheels which are 7.5" wide like the Trail wheels. I didn't have any issue with this setup both when stock or when lifted. See pics below for reference.

Stock height

zIgtIjT.jpg

Y5AnOWm.jpg

Lifted

QHd7XTX.jpg

Ok2h7LK.jpg

Gkb5506.jpg

255/70/18 on 7.5" wide stock GX wheel vs. 275/70/17 on 8.5" wide SCS wheel. Not a whole hell of a lot of difference in height, mostly width.

AYYHBq3.jpg

Thank you for the great info! That's pretty much what I was looking for.

I'm a bit surprised there's as as much perceptible difference between the two sizes. Did you have spacers installed when you had the stock 18's on in that picture?

I feel pretty confident the 255 size will look just the way she wants. Thank you again for taking the time to post that. 👍

That's the exact same size tire I ran on my GX prior to lifting it (and even after for a few months) except that I was running the 18" flavor (255/70/18) on the stock GX460 wheels which are 7.5" wide like the Trail wheels. I didn't have any issue with this setup both when stock or when lifted. See pics below for reference.

Glad to help. No spacers on this truck at any time, I try to avoid them at all costs. I can't say whether or not you'll need them with the narrower TRD Pro wheels since I am not aware of the difference in offset between those and that of the stock GX wheels.

I think it's a good size if you want a slightly taller/wider tire that gives a more beefy appearance without running into rubbing issues or dinging your fuel economy all that much.

Glad to help. No spacers on this truck at any time, I try to avoid them at all costs. I can't say whether or not you'll need them with the narrower TRD Pro wheels since I am not aware of the difference in offset between those and that of the stock GX wheels.

I think it's a good size if you want a slightly taller/wider tire that gives a more beefy appearance without running into rubbing issues or dinging your fuel economy all that much.

If I can trust the number I found online for the factory wheels offset (who knows) it appears the TRD wheels will stick out about 1.14" further than stock.

I'll ask her again what she thinks. I'm not sure I like the look of 285/70's squeezed on to a 7" wide wheel, but it's her car, sooooo...

1603400463895.png

It looks like the stock GX wheels are a +52mm offset and the TRD Pro wheels are a +15mm offset (I had these on my TRD Pro 4Runner). That's a 1.45" difference.

That 52mm offset number for stock wheels is floating around all over the interwebs, but they are actually 25mm.

You won’t have any issues with rubbing on the UCA with the TRD Pros and 255s, but you may have to trim some liner.

Ok so you're looking at 4/10" difference between the wheels.

I think that’s a fine idea. That’s the perfect light duty off road tire size. Bigger is good to get over bigger rocks.

Stock height

zIgtIjT.jpg

Y5AnOWm.jpg

Lifted

QHd7XTX.jpg

Ok2h7LK.jpg

Gkb5506.jpg

255/70/18 on 7.5" wide stock GX wheel vs. 275/70/17 on 8.5" wide SCS wheel. Not a whole hell of a lot of difference in height, mostly width.

AYYHBq3.jpg
@Tex68w, it looks like you were able to fit the 255/70/18 in your spare tire location as well. Can you confirm. Thank you

@Tex68w, it looks like you were able to fit the 255/70/18 in your spare tire location as well. Can you confirm. Thank you

Yes, I did, one caveat, though, I didn't have the full wrap Class IV hitch which I almost certain will interfere.

So, I've searched the forum and the Google for both pictures of either GX's or 4runners to try to find a definitive picture of a 460 on 255/75r17's mounted to 7" wheels. I haven't found what I'm looking for I guess?

Typically I'm pretty confident in tire and wheel choices, but since having purchased some Toyo Open Country AT2's in a 265/75r16 on 8" wide wheels for our Tacoma and not being happy with the look (tread width too narrow so tire looks slightly stretched) I'm super hesitant.

What my current "plan" for the wifes GX is 255/75r17's on TRD Pros with a 2"-2.5" lift. Since tires are expensive I dont want to do it twice.

My reason for not doing 275-285/70/17's on it are that I dont want the rubbing, extra rolling weight plus I believe the 255 will do better in snow and ice. Also, 275's arent available in the Yokohama G015's we plan on getting.

So, what are everyones thoughts or experiences? Does anyone have this wheel/tire combo currently?

Thanks in advance!

Laurence
Did you end up running this? I am trying to figure out what size I can run in the wildpeaks with stock suspension and fit a spare with a hitch

Did you end up running this? I am trying to figure out what size I can run in the wildpeaks with stock suspension and fit a spare with a hitch

We did put this size on in a p-metric Yokohama G015 AT tire, which isn't a particularly aggressive tire. It definitely does not fit in the spare location.

Our GX does have a factory tow hitch and, if I remember correctly, this is what is causing the bind.

I would not recommend this size with factory suspension.

Got any photos of your rig? I'm considering 255/80R17s on TRD Pro wheels for my GX. Mahalo!

i ran this size in a duratrac on my stock 2012. it looked good and filled in the wheel gap nicely. i upgraded to 255/80r17 when i got my lift on for the additional 1" in tire height and also to go from a P tire (duratrac) to an E rated for more durability offroad.

i like the 255 width though. looks great and to your point, better for snowy and icy street driving.

The problem I see with that tire size is that it's hard to get a good load rating for a GX sized vehicle. 255-75 is made for dually trucks and they usually carry a super heavy load rating, meaning they don't flex for s*** off-road even when aired down.

285/70 17 can be had in load range C which is ideal IMO.

IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_3648.jpeg

255/75R17 Continental Terrain Contact-at load C 6ply

255/75R17 Continental Terrain Contact-at

Rear = 1.5 Cornfed Spacer in rear with new Blistein shocks
Front = 2.5 Bilstein Adjustable shocks on top setting
OEM shock

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels

Some thoughts on the 255 tires.
OEM 18 inch rims weighed 32Lbs
265/60R18 Michelin defender where 36.99
Total weight per wheel was 68.99

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels 17 inch wheel - 24.6 lbs
255/75R17 Continentals are - 40lbs.
Total os 64.6 Lbs

With the less rolling mass (10.4 inch wide v.s 10 inch) and weight difference... the truck has great pickup and handling.

The front has dropped a little after the Ironman bumper was added, and no trimming was needed.
Spacer in rear and new Blistein shocks
Bilstein Adjustable shocks on top setting 2.5 lift
OEM shock

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels

Some thoughts on the 255 tires.
OEM 18 inch rims weighed 32Lbs
265/60R18 Michelin defender where 36.99
Total weight per wheel was 68.99

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels 17 inch wheel - 24.6 lbs
255/75R17 Continentals are - 40lbs.
Total os 64.6 Lbs

With the less rolling mass (10.4 inch wide v.s 10 inch) and weight difference... the truck has great pickup and handling.

The front has dropped a little after the Ironman bumper was added, and no trimming was needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom