Thoughts on 255/75r17? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2834620View attachment 2834621

255/75R17 Continental Terrain Contact-at load C 6ply

255/75R17 Continental Terrain Contact-at

Rear = 1.5 Cornfed Spacer in rear with new Blistein shocks
Front = 2.5 Bilstein Adjustable shocks on top setting
OEM shock

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels

Some thoughts on the 255 tires.
OEM 18 inch rims weighed 32Lbs
265/60R18 Michelin defender where 36.99
Total weight per wheel was 68.99

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels 17 inch wheel - 24.6 lbs
255/75R17 Continentals are - 40lbs.
Total os 64.6 Lbs

With the less rolling mass (10.4 inch wide v.s 10 inch) and weight difference... the truck has great pickup and handling.

The front has dropped a little after the Ironman bumper was added, and no trimming was needed.
Spacer in rear and new Blistein shocks
Bilstein Adjustable shocks on top setting 2.5 lift
OEM shock

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels

Total os 64.6 Lbs

With the less rolling mass (10.4 inch wide v.s 10 inch) and weight difference... the truck has great pickup and handling.

The front has dropped a little after the Ironman bumper was added, and no trimming was needed.
Bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one. And I know this has been beaten to death buttt… it’s so confusing I’m just trying to find the Goldilocks zone of lift , tire spare etc . People fit a 265/70-17 not quite 32 in the spare location but a 255/75-17 is 32” does it fit tread depending?
I plan on a 2-2.5 in lift I have a class3 hitch and would love a IV hitch to tow my car to the track (it’s a Miata so it’ll be under 5k )

I want to get it right first shot .
Buy once cry once

The spare tire space will fit a 31.6" tire with the factory large Class IV hitch, with some variation. My 265/70R17 Falkens are 31.7 according to Tire Rack. The spare did not fit. I put sway bar spacers on and now it fits. Another poster here with the same tires and wheel width had the spare fit without mods.

MAYBE a 255/75 will fit with sway bar spacers. It looks like there's an inch or so clearance between my sway bar and the tire at stock factory ride height. However I don't know exactly how the bar moves as the suspension cycles through its travel. Which is why I want some clearance between the tire and bar. Mine's not rubbed yet.

A lift will only affect the static ride height. Unless you put on extended bump stops (which will reduce travel and articulation), the suspension can compress just as far as when its at factory ride height.

Different tires of the same nominal size can have different actual sizes. Falken Wildpeaks and Rubitreks run large. KO2s run small.

The spare tire space will fit a 31.6" tire with the factory large Class IV hitch, with some variation. My 265/70R17 Falkens are 31.7 according to Tire Rack. The spare did not fit. I put sway bar spacers on and now it fits. Another poster here with the same tires and wheel width had the spare fit without mods.

MAYBE a 255/75 will fit with sway bar spacers. It looks like there's an inch or so clearance between my sway bar and the tire at stock factory ride height. However I don't know exactly how the bar moves as the suspension cycles through its travel. Which is why I want some clearance between the tire and bar. Mine's not rubbed yet.

A lift will only affect the static ride height. Unless you put on extended bump stops (which will reduce travel and articulation), the suspension can compress just as far as when its at factory ride height.

Different tires of the same nominal size can have different actual sizes. Falken Wildpeaks and Rubitreks run large. KO2s run small.
Thank you

the class IV hitch knowledge is understood but what about with the smaller class III ? i only need the 5K towing and have the smaller hitch

I don't know for sure but I think there's not not a huge difference between hitches. There's a frame member back there.

View attachment 2834620View attachment 2834621

255/75R17 Continental Terrain Contact-at load C 6ply

255/75R17 Continental Terrain Contact-at

Rear = 1.5 Cornfed Spacer in rear with new Blistein shocks
Front = 2.5 Bilstein Adjustable shocks on top setting
OEM shock

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels

Total os 64.6 Lbs

Spacer in rear and new Blistein shocks
Bilstein Adjustable shocks on top setting 2.5 lift
OEM shock

Venomrex VR-601 Wheels

Total os 64.6 Lbs

Two years later, are you still enjoying your Conti TerrainContact tires?

I don't know for sure but I think there's not not a huge difference between hitches. There's a frame member back there.
Understandable but it seems there is more space with the smaller hitch . Otherwise people wouldn’t differentiate the two .

even if it means you can fit 31.6 with the class IV , 31.7 with the KDSS spacer.
Than you can fit 3_.__ with the class III. and __.__ with the class III And the KDSS spacer.
I just want to figure out that buy once goldi locks zone . And would almost prefer pizza cutters

Understandable but it seems there is more space with the smaller hitch . Otherwise people wouldn’t differentiate the two .

even if it means you can fit 31.6 with the class IV , 31.7 with the KDSS spacer.
Than you can fit 3_.__ with the class III. and __.__ with the class III And the KDSS spacer.
I just want to figure out that buy once goldi locks zone . And would almost prefer pizza cutters
Do you have a favorite shop for tires, if so can they mount one on your spare and do a fitment?
You can make it easy on them and have the spare already dismounted and sitting in the back of your rig and when they do the tire swap, you can do the crawl-under and checl fitment.
A tire shop would be far more likely to accommodate if you can minimize their tech's time futzing with pulling and remounting the tire.

Do you have a favorite shop for tires, if so can they mount one on your spare and do a fitment?
You can make it easy on them and have the spare already dismounted and sitting in the back of your rig and when they do the tire swap, you can do the crawl-under and checl fitment.
A tire shop would be far more likely to accommodate if you can minimize their tech's time futzing with pulling and remounting the tire.

It’s usually a mad house a5 the tire shop . When I need tires I’m there an hour before they open and sometimes 3,4 th in line . Perks of living in a city I guess .

I’m probably gonna stick to tried and true 265/70-17 and my class 3 hitch . KISS is always best

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom