This is really odd - ATF where ATF has no business being; Poop it's coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Today while in the passenger footwell of my 62, I noticed an oily substance in the jute padding on the firewall. When I got a glove and squeezed some out (it was pretty soaked), I found out it was ATF. The entire bottom length of the padding was soaked in it about an inch up from the bottom edge, and it didn't smell old (though as can be seen in the pic, is quite dirty). Matter of fact, the typical ATF smell was so faint I could barely pick it up when I sniffed the padding.

Also there was none on the driver's side. It's been three years since I 86'd the A440F in favor of the H55F, and even when I had the auto, I see no way ATF from that could've gotten to any point where it could've gotten into the cab in that location. In the engine compartment, I could see no trace of any fluids anywhere that would indicate an intrusion. Matter of fact, the firewall was bone dry and dusty. So this has me completely stumped. Obviously my next step when I get the opportunity is to pull the entire passenger side section of this padding out and see if a soak in some Super Clean and gentle water rinse will clean it up enough to still be usable, and possibly indicate where this fluid is coming in from.

This is just bizarre.

ATF.jpg

Being pumped up and out the speedo cable. Check at the cluster.

Being pumped up and out the speedo cable. Check at the cluster.
Definitely not coming from the speedo cable. Before I realized this was ATF I looked up on the driver's side and there's nothing coming from the speedo. I actually DID have this issue a few years ago and fixed it with new seals on the speedo driven gear. Luckily it hasn't come back.

@2mbb very true. I just flushed my PS system a couple weeks ago actually and haven't modified the plumbing on it at all yet (if I even end up doing it), so all of that stays at the front of the engine.

Leave a qt of atf in the glove box?

Not to cast doubt your assessment of the identity of the fluid, but is it possible that it's coolant from the heater core? (you are running Toyota red, right?)

Not to cast doubt your assessment of the identity of the fluid, but is it possible that it's coolant from the heater core? (you are running Toyota red, right?)
I'm pretty confident it's ATF, but after considering that, now I'm having doubts. I certainly hope the heater core isn't the case, because that's a huge job that I REALLY don't want to tackle at this point, especially given the availability of FJ62 heater cores. I'm going to give it a close look tomorrow and make sure. It seems far too oily to be coolant though. But yes I do use Toyota red.

I'm pretty confident it's ATF, but after considering that, now I'm having doubts. I certainly hope the heater core isn't the case, because that's a huge job that I REALLY don't want to tackle at this point, especially given the availability of FJ62 heater cores. I'm going to give it a close look tomorrow and make sure. It seems far too oily to be coolant though. But yes I do use Toyota red.
They've both got a slightly sweet odor and are thin. I'd see if you can squeeze out or isolate enough of a quantity to see if it mixes with water or floats. Even rinsing out the padding, it should be apparent.

They've both got a slightly sweet odor and are thin. I'd see if you can squeeze out or isolate enough of a quantity to see if it mixes with water or floats. Even rinsing out the padding, it should be apparent.
OOOOOO good call on the water check. I'll have to give that a try.

Edit: BALLS. It's coolant. Heater core took a dump.

Last edited:
OOOOOO good call on the water check. I'll have to give that a try.

Edit: BALLS. It's coolant. Heater core took a dump.
Sorry man.... Sometimes we want to subconsciously push the answer we don't want to admit to the back of our minds...

Not cheap, but quality seems good. I bought one as a spare. Made in Mexico, like my favorite beer.

I'll keep that link saved just in case. I'm hoping I can get the GF's Mazda running soon so I can afford the downtime for the 62 and take the original heater core to a radiator shop to repair (if they deem it fixable once I get it out of my rig).

I guess I can consider myself lucky it took 35 years to happen. My old man's '98 Jeep took less than a year, on each of its first TWO heater cores :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom