Thirsty birfields?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all --

I completed my birfield re-pack a few weeks ago down in NJ with the Gotham City Land Cruisers group --

-- we used Amsoil NLGI #2 to re-pack the bearings and the birfs, and I drove 40 miles home --

-- we weren't sure if we filled them with enough grease, so yesterday, about 50 miles later, I got out the manual grease gun and filled both sides from the top fill-hole (next to the ABS sensor) --

-- both sides took betw. 1.5 and 2 cartridges before oozing out the top --

-- does this sound right?? They seemed a little more willing than I though they would to take the grease, though we used only about a tub per side when re-filling the birfs upon re-build.

THANKS!!

eric

"oozing out the top" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

&nbsp:Don't tell me you took the plug out and FILLED the knuckles. :eek: They should be a MAXIMUM of 75% of the cavity. :eek: :eek: You need to get that out of there before you push it into the axle housing.

Eric,
Um, good question. How about some clear vinyl hose from the home center? It may be easier to get it out thru the ABS sensor hole as it is larger in diameter. Stick the hose down inside and take say, a turkey baster sucker thing and try to draw some of it out. you may end up sticking the hose in and the withdrawing it several times removing some grease with each pass. You could also maybe un-bolt the wipers off of the back and turn the wheels back and forth several times(dunno how well that will work). Worst case, take it apart again :ugh: . After you get it out, I think I would go for a drive and get the axle hot. Then, drain and refill the center section with 80-90. That is if you drove it around with bloated knuckles.
 I'm outa ideas for now, maybe after a couple Keystones tonite I'll think of something else.

Good luck, Dan :beer:

Thanks for this, Dan -- I just spoke with the guy who helped (read, did) this re-pack with me (Todd).

Todd has done 3-4 repacks in the past and he said 1 lb. of additional grease in each side was easily within the 75% full range -- so, I think I'm okay. When we did the re-pack at his garage, we sort of ran out of grease, so he advised me to fill the birfs when I got home through the hole.

On a more disconcerting note, I called my lovely dealer and they said they fill the birfs till they're full with a pneumatic gun -- nothing close to what I did --

I'll keep an eye on 'em, and probably take out the ABS sensor in a bit to see what's going on down there --

-- the 80, where I know so much less than I have to learn -- :tear: :ugh: :tear: :ugh:

e

Eric,
Wish I knew you needed more grease than what I gave you. I had 3 more tubs of both moly and mp, plus 2 cartridges of both as well in the truck. Hope it's not too full!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Thanks for this, Mike -- I should've asked you -- though I consider myself really lucky to have hooked up with you all that Sunday anyway -- I learned a lot and had a great time! :D

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom