Thinking of trading my 80 for 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all-

I've got an FZJ80 that I recently have gotten close to how I want, however the lady isn't as enthusiastic about the truck as I am. Debating leaving the legendary 80 series for the more comfortable 100. I looked at the Slee guide to the 100 model updates over the years.

Are there any years/options to stay away from? In the early fzj80 the transmissions tended to have a few more issues than the later ones. Were there similar issues with the 100?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
2000 tranny's supposedly have some issues. 98-99 have rear lockers but 2 pinion front diffs. Some slight differences worth reading up on.

I have a '99 and am VERY happy; this coming from owning four 80's previously.

The two pinion diffs? I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I have heard of these early diffs having issue. In fact theres' a thread atop the 100 series right now about a guy whose diff exploded while pulling a tractor out of a ditch. This isn't really something I'm concerned about with the 80, and am looking for other things that are more fragile on the 100 or known failure points.

I really debated what year 100 I wanted and since I have a small trailer I tow and wanted to take this all around the country, I personally decided on a 2003-2005. Everyone has their years, some guys on here will tell you it pre 2003 is the way to go. Others like myself prefer the newest model with the lowest miles you can afford with the 5spd. Either way you can't go wrong!

I came to my 2005 LX470 from 11 years with an 80. I will tell you that it was a painful goodbye and there are some things that I still miss about my 80 sometimes when I'm wheeling on some trails. However, there are things about my Hundy that I love much more every day I drive it and most of the time I'm wheeling on most trails.

My LX is nicer, more comfortable, quieter, faster, and newer.

I say get the newest, most well cared-for LX/Cruiser you can afford. Given that, the 5 speed A750F transmission is very nice (2003 or newer).

I just read several of the transmission threads and it's clearly not a problem limited to the 2000 model year. It clearly spills over into 2001 and didn't seem to start until sometime during the 2000 model year. 2000 calendar year build may be a better description but it's hard to establish the precise timeframe as so many people don't post their build date. And it is obviously a very limited problem compared to most makes, especially European luxury cars of that era.

I came to my 2005 LX470 from 11 years with an 80. I will tell you that it was a painful goodbye and there are some things that I still miss about my 80 sometimes when I'm wheeling on some trails. However, there are things about my Hundy that I love much more every day I drive it and most of the time I'm wheeling on most trails.

My LX is nicer, more comfortable, quieter, faster, and newer.

I say get the newest, most well cared-for LX/Cruiser you can afford. Given that, the 5 speed A750F transmission is very nice (2003 or newer).

▲This▲

Think safe, 2003 was the first year for side airbags

i have them both a really nice 80 and a couple pretty nice 100's and you really can't compare the 2... the 80 (and I have the last lx450 1997) so it's as good as it gets for ride..in an 80... in my opinion there is Nothing the 100 doesn't do better than the 80 and that will include making your wife happy, My wife has been in her lx470 longer than any car we have ever owned and she will not let me get her a new car... and she has always had BMW's she LOVES her truck and she's not but 5' tall.... I have never seen or heard a regret for buying a 100

I went with a 2000 lx that has a build date of 99. I wanted to stay away from factory Nav of later models. Time will tell with the transmission but it seems strong now.

Yeah, seems the lack of Navigation is important to folks. Is this just b/c we all have it on ipad/iphone and Toyota/Lexus' version is clunky and dated or does it preclude other functionality in someway?

Yeah, seems the lack of Navigation is important to folks. Is this just b/c we all have it on ipad/iphone and Toyota/Lexus' version is clunky and dated or does it preclude other functionality in someway?

Yes.
The nav on your phone is far better. I have never used the navigation function in my LX because it sucks. In general, the digital interface is very dated and a dead-end--but with some options to shoe-horn in bluetooth or usb music. However, 5-speed tranny trumps classic controls. Don't sweat the nav, in my opinion.

in later models the navigation system also controls HVAC system so if it goes you have to fix and when I was looking there was no cheap way around it. that may be changed now.

I would rather spend money on rebuilding a transmission rather than Nav system. When I was looking the Nav replacement was not a cheap deal.

I would rather spend money on rebuilding a transmission rather than Nav system. When I was looking the Nav replacement was not a cheap deal.

Yeah, but what's the actual failure rate on the nav system? I think it's one of those outliers that gets undue attention because we read about it here on the forum.

NAV now can be replace/repaired for max of $600 according to my Toyota dealership sources. Given the amount of them going bad its no longer an issue IMO
gotcha when I was looking they were quoting 2K to fix nav systems so that is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom