Thinking of selling, but don't know what he's worth. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eicca

Professional Noob
Threads
We have a purebred yellow lab, less than a year old, and we're contemplating getting rid of him. He's just too much to handle. We want to sell him in hopes of breaking even on all the crap we've bought for him (we got him for free) but we don't know what he'd be worth. He's been neutered, so that clearly takes a dent out of the price but he's gotta still be worth something...

Good friend just went through this. They got a dog (yella lab also) and didn't have the time to devote to training it, so the puppy got big and did what dogs do when they're bored - chewed on things, dug holes, etc. Ultimately rather than trying to recoup/make money they just wanted her to go to someone that would give her the time and a good home.

We went through it with our yellow lab too, but my wife and I committed to it and she's a great dog, turns 2 next week.

Money isn't the most important thing in this situation but it would be nice to make up for all we've spent on the invisible fence and the food and stuff......

I would worry more about getting him a good home before anything else. If you can find a great new owner to take him, let him go and think about all of the future money you won't have to spend as your reward. Try to stick it out though, dogs are like kids, the first few years are rough.

I would worry more about getting him a good home before anything else. If you can find a great new owner to take him, let him go and think about all of the future money you won't have to spend as your reward. Try to stick it out though, dogs are like kids, the first few years are rough.

Agree, pet ownership is a commitment. If you can't stick it out, you owe it to him to make sure he has a good home. Money is secondary, at most.

If you contact the breeder you got him from, I'm sure they'd be very happy and able to find it a good home. As a breeder, finding
a good home is the most important thing. I wouldn't expect to get anything monetarily back.

After some consideration we're going to finish installing the invisible fence and keep him around. The kids love him to death so we figure if we can at least train him not to run off that'll solve a lot of our stress issues

One of the best things I learned with this dog (our first experience with a puppy) is that dogs will do what dogs do if you let them. Leave them outside with nothing to play with? They're gonna dig holes. Leave things you don't want chewed on down at their level? They're gonna chew on them. Initially I got really mad at the dog, but she didn't know any better then, it was on me for creating that situation.

Less fences, more attention and training or give to someone who will. Can't/shouldn't sell a one year old dog, especially one that's a handful.

First thing in the morning and no coffee so please excuse the harshness.

Two of my dogs I got from people just like you. They thought it was gonna be so perfect with a beautiful working dog puppy and just couldn't handle the energy and destruction that followed. I find it really sad. I promise you if you man up you'll reap the rewards! Or maybe you should just get a cat..... Or a painting for the wall so it'll just hang there while you admire it.

Spend time with your dog. Run the snot outa it. Be the boss. It's time for some personal growth and the rewards that come with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

First thing in the morning and no coffee so please excuse the harshness.

Two of my dogs I got from people just like you. They thought it was gonna be so perfect with a beautiful working dog puppy and just couldn't handle the energy and destruction that followed. I find it really sad. I promise you if you man up you'll reap the rewards! Or maybe you should just get a cat..... Or a painting for the wall so it'll just hang there while you admire it.

Spend time with your dog. Run the snot outa it. Be the boss. It's time for some personal growth and the rewards that come with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cat guy here, but I agree. Both of my cats were surrendered to a shelter at 6 months old. They're two of the most pleasant, best behaved animals I've ever owned. I'm grateful to whoever gave them up, but I have to wonder WTF is wrong with the POs. You make a commitment to own a pet and give up after a few weeks? I just don't get it.:confused:

Pets aren't decorations, they're living creatures. If you make them part of your family, you need to rear them like young children, and enjoy the rewards.:cheers:

A little time invested in training goes a long way to enjoying your animal. Dogs are awesome companions and family protectors. Don't give up on him too quickly.
Best of luck.

Some sound advise has been posted here. I'm about to lose my best four legged friend in a couple days (my avatar). Sure , I had to buy a new pair of shoes for my wife. I also had to fill in a dug hole or two. Sure wasn't his fault . Boredom for , him when my wife and I would go out. I wouldn't trade anything for the love and companionship he has brought. Spend time with them. That is very important .If money is first and foremost , get a goldfish , they're disposable ( I Think). If you're gonna have a dog , or cat that's a whole different ball game. You shouldn't be miserable nor should your dog. The amount of devotion you put into your pets Absolutely equals the love you get in return for the Too short lives that they live.

Always tough to hear:(, years of devotion makes up for few weeks of heartache. Sadly, there are more good pets out there than good homes. When you're ready, don't be afraid to take the plunge. It'll never be the same but it'll be just as sweet.:cheers:

get a goldfish , they're disposable ( I Think).

Jeez - not in my house. Got the kids, when they were young, two $.25 'disposable' goldfish. One lived about 7-8 years before dying! Kids, wife and some of wife's clients asked when 'Fatso' was no longer there what had happened. Sh!t, had to go buy two more $.25 goldfish. Both are still alive and huge in a little 5 gallon tank! They certainly aren't Man's Best Friend, but they do bang on the tank every morning when I go down to get my coffee expecting to be fed! Morning coffee just wouldn't be the same w/o that, now would it? Damn fish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom