Thinking about buying a Tundra have some ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at a 2000 Tundra with 430k miles. Head gasket and timing belt replaced 5k miles ago. What should I be concerned about with that many miles?

A lot but maybe not.
You could have one that just keeps running. Not a Toyota but I know a guy with a Chevy with 650k and it runs fine. If the rest of the truck is good and you can get a deal, go for it.

I’m looking at a 2000 Tundra with 430k miles. Head gasket and timing belt replaced 5k miles ago. What should I be concerned about with that many miles?
21 year old vehicle with a lot of wear and tear. anything rubber will need to be inspected carefully or replaced, suspension components, hoses etc. Unless you are getting an unbelievable deal.. ie, free. I wouldn't buy it.

I have a 2005 with 313k on it I keep at the deer lease. We drive it hard and it keeps on ticking. I don’t drive on the pavement anymore because of no tag.

I’d want a lot of new parts in the cooling system - prob a good $700-$1K with hoses, radiator (it’s still org plastic tank, yes?), t-stat, all hoses that carry coolant, water pump, prob a heater valve too.

Is it rust free (frame)?
How cheap can you buy & just drive into the ground?
If the miles were mainly hwy, then I see some life left, but if it’s had 6+ owners & it’s city miles/little maint - not sure I’d want to toss the time & $$$ at the cooling system.

How are the FR driveshfts & RR axle? Play in the CV’s? RR axle has to need pinion preload check/adj, maybe wheel bearings too either just FR or all 4 corners.

I’d def let the trans pump out old fluid & replace ~2-3qts per cycle (IIRC all Tundra are sealed trans & realistically the fluid needs a swap by 100K). I peeked in my trans fluid & it’s so-so at only 70K, so I did a pan drop & hand pumped 3qts fresh in last yr.

Really, 430K if tou want this to last, you’ll eventually have a full baseline of labor/parts in a 430K truck.

——————

Or get it on the cheap & run it like a rented tractor, fix what breaks & don’t invest much time or labor in it........buy cheap oil & used tires when they bald, let whatever major failure be the last time you look at it.

:meh:

I think creating a good baseline after purchasing a used vehicle is key. Get everything within reason to "new" condition I. E. Hoses, bushings, cooling system, oils / fluids.

There's always gamble in purchasing used as they have wear and tear from life. That could be from use or lack of maintenance. Keep expectations moderate, but the parts cannon can definitely help keep hopes up for a long lasting vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom