Thinking about buying a truck site unseen... pics included (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am up in Detroit and trying to find a clean southern ride. I have been in talks with a few dealers and have gotten some pics sent back. What do you guys think of this 2003? There seems to be some surface rust along bits of the frame, but nothing that has me freaking out. This vehicle is in Georgia.

IMG_26921_zpshcp5idxm.jpg

IMG_26931_zps9xipqfbg.jpg
IMG_26901_zpsg0clgll8.jpg

IMG_26791_zpsdsnexcfz.jpg

IMG_26881_zps6lusmnlh.jpg

IMG_26851_zpswpqdim37.jpg
IMG_26811_zpssrf9b9nl.jpg
IMG_26831_zpsolz6b15c.jpg
IMG_26871_zps0jewumuf.jpg

So yeah there is a bit of rust but nothing like what I am used to seeing in Michigan. I am waiting on pics from another truck in TX before I make my decision.

Not too bad, really. Pretty normal in terms of surface rust, but you'd probably want to get it undercoated before winter.

Make sure to get photos of the tailgate. That's a spot prone to rust as well.

Where in GA is it? You may be able to get a fellow 'mudder to take a look. It does look clean though.

It is actually in Charlston, SC but according to the Carfax it is a two owner Georgia car.

The rust looks to be mostly on the exhaust, which is pretty normal. Id say the other discolorations are from clay based dirt.
The mismatched tires would worry me more, but only as they're symbolic of a non OCD owner or dealer

I had mine delivered this past weekend from GA. Similar situation, rust on exhaust is normal.

I was going to buy one and noticed rust bubble on tail gate...passed.

Get them to do a video walk thru and if you have a local look it over even better. Include engine start up to.

"Surface rust" means different things to different folks. Those pictures look ok to me, but I would have a local expereinced mudder take a look.

I am up in Detroit and trying to find a clean southern ride. I have been in talks with a few dealers and have gotten some pics sent back. What do you guys think of this 2003? There seems to be some surface rust along bits of the frame, but nothing that has me freaking out. This vehicle is in Georgia.

IMG_26921_zpshcp5idxm.jpg

IMG_26931_zps9xipqfbg.jpg
IMG_26901_zpsg0clgll8.jpg

IMG_26791_zpsdsnexcfz.jpg

IMG_26881_zps6lusmnlh.jpg

IMG_26851_zpswpqdim37.jpg
IMG_26811_zpssrf9b9nl.jpg
IMG_26831_zpsolz6b15c.jpg
IMG_26871_zps0jewumuf.jpg

So yeah there is a bit of rust but nothing like what I am used to seeing in Michigan. I am waiting on pics from another truck in TX before I make my decision.
Where in Texas. Maybe I can look at it for you.

McKinney. That would be quite a haul from Austin, unless you are up that way on the regular. I did get the pictures of that one and it is mint. It is a 2006 model with 140k on it. They want a little more than the 2003 (duh) but I think I am leaning towards the 2006 in TX. VVTI and just a few years newer. One down side to both of them is they have the NAV units, but seems almost unavoidable.

Ironically I have in laws that live in Dallas, but the only one I trust to check out the truck is here in Michigan for the week...

I was just in McKinney this AM. I won't be out that way until next week, but let me know...I might be able to swing it.

If it's here in Texas for it's life, I wouldn't be worried. While it has rained quite a bit this year, the past five have been bone dry drought conditions.

Compared to what we typically see here in the northeast, my first reaction is "what rust?"....the gas tank shield is metal, rust prone, and looks pristine based on the photos....If you like the truck and everything else checks out, I don't see a rust issue here....

That Land Cruiser looks very clean. I would not hesitate to jump on that truck if the price is right. Good luck on the hunt....

My son lives in Charleston and is a Toyota Tech. Shoot me a PM if you decide to pursue that one. If he's not scheduled to work Saturday he would probably be able to check it out for you.

What scares me are mix matched tires. I hope the same size but if not willing to spend the money to put same tire or a new set on what else was skimped on?

wow! tons of great support here. I appreciate all the offers, I think I am going to go with the one in Texas, it is a couple grand more but 3 years newer and 10k less miles. My brother in law will be back in Dallas on Monday and he is going to check it out for me. Unless something crazy turns up that is going to be the truck for me.

Again, overwhelmed by the offers of help!

oh one more thing, the white truck posted has a great carfax for 90% of it's life, service every 5k or so, then the last 20k miles are undocumented. Same owner, just no service records. Kind of makes me think someone bought it, drove it for 130k miles while maintaining it regularly then gave it to their kid and things just kind of fell off. Obvious that is speculation, but feels about right.

The truck in Dallas is a one owner with an incredible carfax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom