Thiess Toyota Australia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cheers JohnnyC. im having trouble with that link but will look at it further. this is a very interesting shipment. it means there should be 1957 model fj25s in aust; tho none have surfaced on mud yet.

there has been a bit of speculation about the earlies over here lately. landcrusher has mentioned a 'one off' or 'sample' model. tourboy made mention of 4 'prototypes' and a missing prototype.

personally i think there is too much uneccessary mystique placed on theiss and their initial snowy river fleet in the early years. thiess assumed queensland distribution rights in 59 and national distribution rights in 61. it is interesting that tourboys 58 (queensland; and prob sold in 59) has a theiss sticker but seems to me it was B&D motors who were the master of fj25 in aust.

Petr Davis says that by July 1959 B&D had sold 158 toyotas in aust, mostly landcruisers. it is very probable that the initial thiess snowy fleet was simply sourced through B&D. Petr Davis alludes to this also. it is a shame that Petr Davis did not reference his info sources a little more.

an earlier post by fwed, and the restored cars mag article are interesting too. they both say that B&D did not even make the bodies themselves in the early years at least.

there is no doubt that theiss took the reins and really got things moving from the early 60s on. but that they are remembered for the 'initial shipment' etc is simply good marketing on theiss' part.

we all know that the old theiss No 1 tojo is nothing of the sort; simply a 1960 that they had laying about and tarted up in the 70s as a promo vehicle. marketing again.

Speaking of #1 maybe not being #1..

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

She's currently at Tamworth for the festival. I felt bad when I told the bloke he gauge cluster was from a 40.

ahh marketing again. she does look nice with some fresh paint. shame about the black chassis. not so sure about the gauge cluster; 40s have a half round cutout on the bottom edge to allow for the column shifter. looks correct to me.

did you get to tamworth cult? i havent been in over a decade. i need to get out more!

I felt bad when I told the bloke he gauge cluster was from a 40.

not so sure about the gauge cluster; 40s have a half round cutout on the bottom edge to allow for the column shifter. looks correct to me.

I agree the FJ40s had a cut out for the column shifter but that bumper is from a 4X series. The 61 FJ40 still had the early FJ2X style bumper so the one on here did not come on any FJ2X series Land Cruiser much less the supposed first one.

Nice find treeroot. Love that Aussie outback stuff. LITP and west I thought the 25's had only two gauges in the bottom of the cluster, not four?

Didn't actually get to Tamworth, I 'told' the bloke on Facebook.

would love a peek under the bonnet. so i can geek out over the mast cyls, horns, air cleaner mounting bracket, harmonic, block date code etc etc. all in all its still a very nice resto and im glad theiss decided to save one when they did.

early cruisers up till mid 63 (i think) ran 2 gauges and 2 warning lights along the bottom. hard to tell from those pics. earlier fj25 cluster is different again and very nice. im going to get one of those one day ;)

Yeah you're all right of course. I neglected to notice the column shift rod delete in the cluster. And it is two gauges, but two lights too :D

April 1979 Overlander Magazine

"COVER
You're unlikely to be offered this Land Cruiser for purchase: it's an FJ25, first in Australia, and Theiss Toyota's pride-and-joy. Our story on buying more redily available Cruisers begins on page 72. Colour by Mike Simmons."

Save0161.jpg
Save0163b.jpg

just giving this thread a little bump to recommend some good old footage posted by dobster in post #39. starts a bit slow but there some great stuff in there. been a bit of other old footage surface recently on the 45 page.

I love the stats. 85mph and 7 seats. Maybe, but not both at the same time.

85 MPH in a long wheel base ute or wagon would be OK but a shorty at those speeds running bias RTM tyres would be a thrilling ride for the faint at hart. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom