Thermostat questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello

I'm going to replace my T stat. What is the OEM temp rating of our T stats?

Should I get OEM?

I see it requires an O ring. Is any other gasket or sealant required?

Thanks in advance.

This is for my 2002 LX470.

I just replaced mine Saturday and I can tell you first hand the quality of these thermostats is top notch. I've never seen one made this well and I would highly recommend replacing with OEM. The "O-Ring" is not really an o-ring. It actually has a slit that fits around the plate of the thermostat so it seals on both sides. Mine looked literally like new after 170K miles. I only replaced it after I saw the temps going up as high as 198 on the scan gage while sitting in traffic (it's summer in Florida!). I got a little paranoid so I thought be better safe than sorry. It was by far the easiest stat I've ever replaced. Remove radiator cap, Drain coolant out of radiator until it stops, remove 3 nuts. That's it. One tip, though... I had to hold the stat in position with a thin blade from the top while I re-positioned the housing or else it would fall out of place.
Cover belts etc. below with aluminum foil to deflect the little bit of coolant that leaks out when you crack it open.
Don't know the temp rating but mine now runs around 190 to 193. The same as before I noted increases with the old stat.
No sealer required, just the gasket. Very clean and easy job.

Part numbers are:
Thermostat - 90916-03100
Gasket - 16346-50010

I'd say 1/3 Banana Job at most.

I just replaced mine Saturday and I can tell you first hand the quality of these thermostats is top notch. I've never seen one made this well and I would highly recommend replacing with OEM. The "O-Ring" is not really an o-ring. It actually has a slit that fits around the plate of the thermostat so it seals on both sides. Mine looked literally like new after 170K miles. I only replaced it after I saw the temps going up as high as 198 on the scan gage while sitting in traffic (it's summer in Florida!). I got a little paranoid so I thought be better safe than sorry. It was by far the easiest stat I've ever replaced. Remove radiator cap, Drain coolant out of radiator until it stops, remove 3 nuts. That's it. One tip, though... I had to hold the stat in position with a thin blade from the top while I re-positioned the housing or else it would fall out of place.
Cover belts etc. below with aluminum foil to deflect the little bit of coolant that leaks out when you crack it open.

Part numbers are:
Thermostat - 90916-03100
Gasket - 16346-50010

I'd say 1/3 Banana Job at most.

Do you know what the temp rating is? 180? 195?

Do I need FIPG or is the O ring the only seal?

ShaggyFJ, I edited after posting. No sealer required. Sorry, don't know temp rating.

Just looked in the FSM. It says opening temp is 176-183 Deg., if that helps....

The OEM temp is 180*F, I bought mine off of Amazon, it came with the rubber gasket.
Make sure the wiggley thing is on the top when you put the new t-stat in.
As long as you are doing that you might as well change your coolant and flush the cooling system too.
I drain the system, remove t-stat, stick garden hose into block, back flush, then fill radiator.
Once only clear water comes out put t-stat housing back as well as petcock on radiator, fill with water, start engine, turn heat to full hot.
Let run for 10min. Shut off and let cool for 15, drain, repeat until clean water comes out.
Then fill with your favorite aluminum safe coolant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom