The Wiper Dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok my wipers on my fj60 do not do a very good job at clearing away the water from the windshield. And yes i did go out and get new blades. It seems that the motor is very jerky and the wiper arms do not apply enough pressure to the windshield to scrape away the water.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

I had a similiar problem on my '98 chev I bent the wiper arms to apply more pressure to the blade and then went with a shorter replacement. This worked like a dream for me.

might also check the linkages...the arms work inside plastic sockets, and those may be worn/cracked and part of the problem

Maybe a new spring. I think this would hold the blade to the windshield a little better but they may not move back and forth as fast.

I'd bend the wiper arms and apply some Rain-X. Couldn't hurt to try :D

I'd go with design on this one, cheeep and rain-X will get you ther if you have no wipers at all. It is probably the spring giving it up, but the bending thing will work. I'm a Rain-X believer, but it doesen't work all that great on a FLAT windshield. I've got a 3.0CS that has a WS that wraps about 10% of the way around the side glass and you don't even need wipers.
GL
Ed Long :)

rain-x that bia. that stuff is so awesome. degnol is right about the flat windshield, but the majority of the time it still works on my 40. you should have no problems with it on your 60. plus, it's only $3 and you can use it 15-20 times, easy. how can you go wrong?

pax,
jonathan

my 76 fj40 wipers work occasionally, ,they'll wipe once or twice, stop in the middle of the windshield and then start again a few seconds later. dangerous in the wet.,

any suggestions. it has intermittant wipers (could have been a dodgy aftermarket job by the previous owner, which i am ready to kill already :) )

could it be the intermittent wiring playing up with it (has the same problems whether or not it's on intermittent or on normal flat out)

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=4144;start=0#msg30821 date=1060263072]
my 76 fj40 wipers work occasionally, ,they'll wipe once or twice, stop in the middle of the windshield and then start again a few seconds later. dangerous in the wet.,

any suggestions. it has intermittant wipers (could have been a dodgy aftermarket job by the previous owner, which i am ready to kill already :) )

could it be the intermittent wiring playing up with it (has the same problems whether or not it's on intermittent or on normal flat out)

[/quote]
sounds like a loose connection to me
because the circuits are completely different for intermittent and steady operation
I had a dodge shadow that had the ground break off so it would only work occasionally.

ok where does the wiring hook up to the wiper motor? is it all in that box on the outside of the windshield.

there is a big round plastic casing with wires going into the top (looks like it could house a fan or something) on the passenger side, with a magor dogdy circuit spliced into it. that's what gave me the idea that the intermittent wipers were after market. my 1980 doesn't have intermittent wipers at all.

oh man you guys are great! Thanks for all the advice. ok couple of questions on the reply backs. I thought about bending the arms some but really didn't want to. There has to be a better way. RainX sounds like a good solution but will it work with mud? I think it is a combo of the springs not applying the correct amount of pressure (where could i get some of those btw), and the linkages maybe being crapped out (and how do I actually check those out).

I'm new to working on cars and especially land cruisers. But I'm having fun and you guys rock for helpin me out.

pappasurf... we are in the same boat... i just picked up a fj62... so far we have the same questions... suspension, my wipers do the same thing, etc...

funny really... i will keep paying attention. let me know if you find anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom