The Vegtable Garden Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the earliest date for plugging next years garlic? Got some prime looking cloves right now that will be jerkey by September.

I haven't tried starting them in the summer. Plug them in, what do you have to lose? You're at a high enough elevation, they may be fine.

Every year I lose a few when the greens die off before I pull them. They usually sprout again in the fall.

What's the earliest date for plugging next years garlic? Got some prime looking cloves right now that will be jerkey by September.

I always plant mine around the Autumnal Equinox. I harvested this years crop over the last 3 weeks and have it chilling out in the spare bedroom. It smells garlicky in there.

raised beds, got an early start

The peas and corn are going nuts. We already had a meal of broccoli and a few batches of swiss chard!

look at that corn!.jpg

look at all those pods.jpg

peas.jpg

Damn, I hope you have a lot of people to help eat the snow peas.

:eek::eek::eek:

can gophers chew through 2 staggered layers of rubber coated chicken wire?

I must have done a great job with my veggies cuz I got gophers in my raised bed...

and of course poison there is not the greatest idea... I'm scr@@ed..... :frown:

Last edited:
That sucks. :frown:

Have you researched botanical solutions? I seem to recall that there are some plants that will repel gophers.

Damn, I hope you have a lot of people to help eat the snow peas.

They are actually regular peas, just haven't filled out yet. And they're bush peas not pole peas but it's like they're on steroids. We will freeze them and eat on them all year. :beer:

A quick little project for the garden. Two fence boards and some hardware. It makes a nice place to keep odds and ends handy .

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

ForumRunner_20130629_090837.jpg

ForumRunner_20130629_090913.jpg

Last edited:
Unjin season.:cool:

Onions.jpg

Did u say peas?

Well, we got the first harvest in the freezer. Thats a lotta peas!

whole lotta shuckin' to do.jpg

shucked.jpg

More power to you, that's way to much work for my tastes.:eek:

It's therapeutic for my :princess: and I love fresh peas and corn and.......

I gotta keep my eyes out for abandoned apple trees this year. We used to do it all the time. Good year for applesauce. Now it's time to pull the peas and plant something in its place. Any suggestions for mid/late summer crops?

So, my cukes are a little odd. They're just the normal starts from HD, but they're coming in yellowish/white and they taste kinda bitter. First ones we've done in the new house, I'm used to them starting out dark green and just getting bigger.

2013-07-31 06.53.34.jpg

cukes

We have our first cucumber harvest, got a late start.

cukes.jpg

So, my cukes are a little odd. They're just the normal starts from HD, but they're coming in yellowish/white and they taste kinda bitter. First ones we've done in the new house, I'm used to them starting out dark green and just getting bigger.

Plants look a little stressed, prolly a soil thing. A good layer of quality compost on top, more irrigation, and maybe even some gypsum for your area might do it.

Plants look a little stressed, prolly a soil thing. A good layer of quality compost on top, more irrigation, and maybe even some gypsum for your area might do it.

Agree, heat will do the same thing. Make sure they're well hydrated.

Agree, heat will do the same thing. Make sure they're well hydrated.
I'm guessing this is the problem, we went from fall to record breaking summer temps in a couple of days. The whole garden is stressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom