The Vegtable Garden Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your level is broked.:hillbilly:

:lol:

Or Bob needs some Plumbing..:hillbilly:

Level? Whats that! Lol will work on it a little more before I fill it in with soil and plants. Not that worried about it. The plants will auto level them selves out.

It snowed here today, not enough to stick but I saw flurries off and on all morning.

The hills were all powder sugar coated. :deepsigh: waiting for spring in the Sierra.

There was just a sliver of white atop Peavine yesterday...as you surely saw Rusty! I knew it was too good to be true :D

Better than what my sis has been getting in Denver the past several weeks...8 more inches of white today/tomorrow she said.

The apple is in full bloom, and the peaches are the size of peas. Just waiting for the annual dinger

snow...? dang... it's already warm down here by the beach... peppers coming out already :)

Interestingly, I have left all my veggies in the ground over winter and most of them are coming back out naturally. I will let several go to seed this year and see what happens. It did kind of feel bad to have to step on lettuce sprouting in the walkway around the bed, though...

snow...? dang... it's already warm down here by the beach... peppers coming out already :)

Interestingly, I have left all my veggies in the ground over winter and most of them are coming back out naturally. I will let several go to seed this year and see what happens. It did kind of feel bad to have to step on lettuce sprouting in the walkway around the bed, though...

Get used to it. I get basil popping up all over the yard, unless they are near a water source, they don't last long. By mid summer, I usually have several 2-3' plants, so losing a few doesn't matter.

We found a source for fava bean seed, it's to late for a spring crop but we will have seed on hand for a fall planting.
Spresso turned us on to these tasty but expensive treats, can't wait to get some growing.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

Dan,

Previously unknown to me...but IIRC September-ish Whole Foods got another round of fresh fava beans in; lasted about 3-weeks (not nearly as long as the usual spring crop of fava beans). I was surprised to see them post-late spring and asked the produce guy about it. He told me they do have a second season in CA. Take it for what its worth but maybe you can get an October-ish crop if planted mid to late summer!

I've prepared fresh fava beans a multitude of ways including mashed dip/spread, ravioli filling, adding to the end of risotto, etc., over the years. And although we enjoy them prepared different ways our favorite is still a quick saute in brown butter (after the typical blanching in salted water and popping the bean from the 2nd husk) with just a little parmesan snowstorm from the microplane.

The brown butter prep sound delicious, but at $4 a pound we have only had them as an ingredient in other dishes. As you know a pound of beans in the pod yields less than a cup of edible beans. But they taste fantastic, like artichoke, green bean and butter beans mixed together. Which is why we are so hot to grow them.

The batch we picked up at Whole Foods was used in a variation of the kale/pasta recipe we got from you. They were great in place of the pine nuts.

I read about the fall planting which is why I went ahead and ordered seed. Whatever seed I don't use will still be fine for next spring, we store vegetable seed in the fridge so it keeps for a couple of years with no impact on germination rates.

Last year as the crop progressed they got down to $1.99/lb; still not cheap but mobetta. Who knows about this year but keep an eye on them as we move through spring. If you happen to head over the hill they're, as you can imagine since they come from central valley/wine country, more plentiful...

And the farmer's market at the Summit had them too...but you have to get there early as they went fast.

Anybody have pictures to share? Not much happening yet in my plot, the temps have dropped again so everything stopped growing.

Here are a few of my garden this year. In this first raised bed I have bush and pole beans in the foreground. The cilantro plant that is bolting is now gone, along with the Thai basil that already bolted. Garlic down the left, onions in the back. Lettuce row down the right side. Squash and zucchini in the center. Radishes in various spots.

In the second raised bed are four varieties of tomatoes and four pepper varieties. A row of carrots on either end.

Two varieties of corn in this third bed, along with various herbs in the containers.

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

Starting to look like a garden again.

ForumRunner_20130614_101341.jpg

ForumRunner_20130614_101416.jpg

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

ForumRunner_20130614_101341.jpg

ForumRunner_20130614_101416.jpg

Tomatoes starting to turn. Peppers lagging behind. Squash looking good though.

ForumRunner_20130614_134757.jpg

ForumRunner_20130614_134812.jpg

ForumRunner_20130614_134826.jpg

My garden so awesome it grows upside down.

What's the earliest date for plugging next years garlic? Got some prime looking cloves right now that will be jerkey by September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom