The Vegtable Garden Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@FLATU8ER

Looks like I have June bugs this year?. Checked the grass soil and grubs present. Last night when I let my chickens out for a bit, I noticed them flying around at sunset. When I put a flashlight to them to take a pic, they would fly to the garden and burrowed away quickly. Do you have any recommendations on dealing with this?
I’ve never done anything about them. I kind of like them. Do you have the giant green ones or the regular little brown guys? Or both?

I’ve never done anything about them. I kind of like them. Do you have the giant green ones or the regular little brown guys? Or both?
My color blind asz couldn't tell you. I thought they were honey bees at first. So, a little larger than that..

Ummm...
20A132A1-18B7-4277-A649-E611F2985875.jpeg

Find out their food source, and spray with the appropriate insecticide, or good old Sevin Dust.
They’re generally harmless. Why do that?

:meh:

Last edited:
Hey Surf, it depends on what results that you want. If you are OK with plant and fruit damage, then fine.
To each their own. But my experience has been in large production Ag. My smallest field was 180 Ac. Which is 1/2 of a Section.
I routinely took care of 35, 000 Ac of Tomatoes each year in addition to melons, cotton, and forage crops, in addition to
veggies grown for some major seed companies that I know you have heard of. Not to mention some of my crops went into baby food.
I did the record keeping for each of my growers, ie; how much product was used on each Ac.
It all depends on what you consider acceptable in your home garden.
Right now I am physically removing an insect known as a Leaf Footed Plant Bug from my Pomegranates so I can hold off of spraying.
But, now that I found a mating pair, and some juveniles in the 2nd instar stage, I am gonna have to consider some kind of application.
It all depends on what (you) the grower finds acceptable.

That’s awesome. Good for you.

Yeah. I have six little 4x8’ garden beds. In my backyard. We do fine, thanks.

Not an industrial production.

Sorry for ruffling your feathers.

:lol:

Last edited:
Nope no ruffles here.
I hope you have a great growing season.
I think you have posted pics before, nice set up.

PS, the pic you posted, it looks like your Romas have blossom end rot, which is a Calcium deficiency.
It is a tough one to correct.

I hope you have a great growing season.
I think you have posted pics before, nice set up.

PS, the pic you posted, it looks like your Romas have blossom end rot, which is a Calcium deficiency.
It is a tough one to correct.
That is a tough one. You’re right. Not as bad as usual though. No one really expected that giant heat wave late May/early June. I use oyster shell calcium as an amendment, but it’s also a water uptake thingie/calcium balance when it’s really hot. Vagaries of the seasons...

Last edited:
Anyway, I want to roast these things, maybe, then can them. I have a pressure canner. Looking at 10-12 pints processed.

Amazing for this time of year.

What pisses me off is that the chili peppers aren’t ready yet. That’s like august or something. No homemade salsa yet.

Timing.

EDD37F1A-C091-4859-82AB-E7B9ACF929BF.jpeg

Relentless...
49FF537C-0592-4152-A6D5-12F69FA6FA78.jpeg

Nice! What variety is that one?
I think there’s three. Costuloto(?), Grandma and a Brandywine cross.

I need to pick Romas today.

:doh:

They’re giving us a break for a while. LOL

C91FF563-2DC6-4279-8F3F-0529CC0CA425.jpeg

Man Surf them maters look great.
What do you make with them?
I canned like 20 pints in the last couple weeks. That’s a years supply for a lot of things... otherwise, salsa, salads, etc. And trades, giveaways.

Now peppers...

A0C5B6BB-7D03-4B97-B799-6DAA381A9A3C.jpeg
281E32FA-5038-47E4-A35F-2C95FFA6F634.jpeg

More good pickings today.

20210724_182101.jpg

But what is up with my bell peppers!? No issues last year with them. Everyone else is great??

20210724_182437.jpg
20210724_182506.jpg

Habaneros coming in good this year. Tons of blossoms. 🙂

20210724_182521.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom