The Vegtable Garden Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What kinda bugs ?
This early, I'm thinking aphids and mite.
There is a variety of products out there for you to use, both organic and conventional.
slugs/snails, earwigs, pillbugs, etc...

slugs and snails can be controlled with bait, earwigs and pill bugs feed mostly on decaying plant material.
I have see earwigs in super great numbers that will damage living plants, but it is rare.

Mondo Serrano waiting a few more days to go outdoors.
1241552D-19BF-43BA-B2AF-EB3833225A0D.jpeg

Well it is now approx. one year since anything has been posted in this thread.
I just took a weed eater to the garden to cut down all the weeds, as I did not want to use a herbicide in the garden.
I'm gonna prep it, and plant all of my leftover seeds from the past several years.
Still not even sure of what I have.

Now the rest of you need to get going as soil and air temps are starting to increase.
Well, in most areas any ways.

Ok, 2nd year for the garden. Last year's hot peppers stayed in and sprang back very well. Strawberries are producing nicely on their second year. We pinched any blossoms or berries to help the plants establish last season.

Strawberries, Jalapeños, Fresno's:
20210408_174010.jpg

Habanero, Serrano, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and Spinach:
20210408_174033.jpg

Roma, German Queen Heirloom and mint in the container: (mistakenly had mint in the garden bed last year, never again)
20210408_174126.jpg

Early Girl, zucchini, a lone corn stalk and lavender:
20210408_174200.jpg

Red potatoes pictured and Russet in another pot:
20210408_174422.jpg

Lemon and Lime trees have blossoms galore:

20210408_173116.jpg

20210408_174331.jpg

Row of corn. But I thinking not enough Sun for the location:
20210410_155640.jpg

I also have Cilantro, cucumber and green beans I will plant.

Last year was the 1st year for the garden and fruit trees. Hopefully I have great success this year.

I haven't grown anything in my garden in a few years, well except my pomegranate tree.
So, I just flooded it for the third time, and when it's ready I will turn the soil.
Gonna start off with some carrots, 3 different type of radishes, and a whole lot of various sunflowers.

It’s been a while...

3C6A567C-10DB-4F59-A918-5CD4DF10EA29.jpeg

93B5F313-7C64-4C43-B152-21C3E1195A62.jpeg

C4B8FD98-3A09-4CB8-814F-A1AAB949A32C.jpeg

it’s chaos. As usual. LOL
A913F79A-B703-477D-A313-D521B438B97D.jpeg

In the last pic, the potatoes on the right had a short life. Bugs killed the plants very fast. This is my first time growing potatoes. The healthy looking plant on the left, I now spray with neem oil and seems to be working. Those are russet...

Here is the baby red harvest that had a very short life. Not much, but happy something happened and I have learned how to protect them better.

20210619_141358.jpg

What kind of "bugs" tore up your plants?
I cannot remember and never looked them up. I only remember watching a potato video and it was suggested to spray them every 10 days or so with neem oil. Since then, no issues now. It has also helped with pests in the main garden as well.

Open for other advice if you have any.

Nope, can't recommend anything unless I know what you are dealing with.
Glad the Neem oil is working for you, it would seem that that product is better suited for the home owner market.
That product was introduced 20+ years ago when I was an agronomist and never caught on in the large
production that we worked with.

@FLATU8ER

Looks like I have June bugs this year?. Checked the grass soil and grubs present. Last night when I let my chickens out for a bit, I noticed them flying around at sunset. When I put a flashlight to them to take a pic, they would fly to the garden and burrowed away quickly. Do you have any recommendations on dealing with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom