The Vegtable Garden Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I grow Italian Purple Hard neck. I doubt that will help, the climate difference between NV and FL couldn't be more bipolar.
Yep

image.jpeg

Anybody got experience with judging the ripeness of pomegranates?
My one tree gets more shade that what is out in the fields, going by redness, but the pulp/seeds are not as ripe as what is in the stores.
New crop to me. Harvested the ones that were splitting, but even with good color on the husk, seeds/pulp is not quite there.
Do they need a kiss of frost? Let harvested ones sit with/next to bananas and tomatoes to absorb the Ethylene gases, but???

I can't really say, squirrels get all of ours before they ripen. There's a place near chico where I buy a bunch for juicing and they're having a really bad year, kind of like you describe. They're just not ripening properly. I haven't talked to anyone more local (Sacto) yet about how they're doing...

A small local grower around here is already advertising fresh juice. Good stuff, but it will go bad quick if not used within a couple'a days of opening.

A small local grower around here is already advertising fresh juice. Good stuff, but it will go bad quick if not used within a couple'a days of opening.
You got a link?

Might be too late. Dude at the farmers market said folks in the north got hit by some weather that screwed them up. Points south or in the foothills might be better, he thought.

Last of the summer stuff. Might make some interesting salsa...

I even found some tomatillos in the alley.
image.jpeg

Surfpig, send me a PM. How close to my town are you? Dude is local and charges $15.00/gal and $10.00/ half gal.
Although when I spoke to him last, he was at the SLO Farmers Market.

I just finished a new raised bed, it is beauuutiful. Looks like a hawaiian temple. (Did it with retainer wall blocks.) Well, except for the ugly chicken wire fence around it to stymie the squirrels and bunnies :mad: . Planted it up already.

Some of the above and also mints, chives, peppers, eggplants, zukes, squashes, strawberries.

Have had good luck in the past with sweet corn, cantaloupes, and tomatillos also.

Let's see a picture of this garden, i'm darn near dyin to see it

I think I am screwed, earliest ever remembered leaf and full bloom on the stone fruit. Fingers crossed but based on a lifetime of spring weather, just waiting for that last hard freeze.

I think I am screwed, earliest ever remembered leaf and full bloom on the stone fruit. Fingers crossed but based on a lifetime of spring weather, just waiting for that last hard freeze.
good luck with that.

Anybody seen this?
1457202856575-773976049.jpg
Newly potted tomatoes, well fertilized and watered. No sign of pests. I appear to be losing two of four plants and the other don't look happy

Hey Split, the Bee's have been in the orchards for over a week now, esp the almonds.
Big Bro Rob, kind'a looks like (if I remember right) TMV or Tomato mosaic virus

In other news, if it's not to freaking cold and windy tomorrow I plant to transplant garlic starts.

Maybe, IIRC wilt starts from the new growth and moves down. It looks more like sunburn to me, did you transition the plants into direct sunlight slowly?

According to the article, it starts with old growth and moves up, which is what I'm seeing. At first I wrote it off to transplant stress but now not sure.

It does look like sunburn but it's only March and it's getting part shade.

Kind of odd to see wilt, resistant strains were developed over 30 years ago by hybridization. Are those heirloom varieties?

In other news, if it's not to freaking cold and windy tomorrow I plant to transplant garlic starts.
Bright sunny day, thought I'd get a lot done in spite of the torrential downpour last night. The laugh was on me, there was a bitter cold wind blowing. I managed to get a couple of chores done that just couldn't wait for warmer weather then called it a day.

Got some of my tomato plants sprouted. Not quite ready to go in the ground yet. Been harvesting some nice cauliflower the last week or two...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom