The Ultimate Grilling thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does an TUG thread exist?

I have been on a Weber Silver C grill for 12 years. It is worn out due to over use. I am researching Wood fired Pellet grills right now. A good friend has the Trager Texas grill and has put out some kick ass ribs with it. But my research is suggesting that it is an entry level smoker more than a grill. So now I am looking at MAK and a Cookshack PG500.

Are there any wood pellet grillers on here? What can you do to educate me before I drop $1,500 on a grill?

If you are on Pelletheads.com pm me. I tried to register but the system thinks I am Spam. I need someone to message an admin to get me set up.

:cheers:

Seriously? I wouldn't trade my $70 inmate-built, adjustable-height charcoal grill for any of that business.

My first go after buying it a couple years ago:
240263_10150192890394107_3826873_o.jpg

It takes some practice, but I've pretty well got it nailed. The art of controlling the heat on an open grill is half the fun. :grinpimp:

Meat + fire + rock salt = South American perfection

Nothing the campfire cuisine section?

I've heard good things about the trager's. Haven't used them personally though. I brought a kamado joe and it was worth every penny if you ask me-or my wife for that matter. And she hates spending money.

I could never seem to get consistent results with normal charcoal and gas seemed to dry everything out quickly.

But whatever system your good at will get you excellent results.

I didn't know that grills could be pellet fired. I thought that was only smokers. Perhaps they can also use charcoal as a fuel for grill use? I've seen that more than a few Mudders have Tragers...

I'll preach the virtues of the Big Green Egg to anybody that will listen. I have the Large. It's by far the most versatile cooker I've had - even cake turns out well. Shop around for them, though, because prices can vary slightly but some retailers offer further discount by giving you free accessories instead of a lower grill price. Fuel consumption (the lack of) has been awesome. I've mostly used mine for low and slow. Smoked a duck for T'giving.

I'll echo gilamonster's comment about becoming good at whatever system you get.

And look around in Campfire Cuisine...there's a lot more than just camp cooking going on.

--john

I'm a Trager convert. Gave my barrell smoker and Vermont Castings propane unit away in favor for the Big Tex I bought at Costco. I do everything from frozen pizza, veggies, beer chicken, ribs and my favorite: the 20 lb Angus Prime Choice brisket which I have dialed into a 24 hour affair.

Temp is simple to control which is key in low slow, I can also get it to 450 for steaks. Once you raise the temp past 200 it's no longer a smoker but a wood fired grill. The pellets are 100% wood with no binders and you can get everything from Apple, Maple, Pecan to the more hearty woods like Mesquite and Hickory. Quality has suffered since they moved production from Oregon to China but it's still a great unit.

photo%252815%2529.JPG

I don't think it is possible to wear out a Weber...

replace burners, grilles, and hot plates once every 12 years, maybe, but even that...

admit it, you just want a new toy, right...?

:)

If you only grill, sure get a Weber.

If you want to BBQ then you gotta go deeper down the rabbit hole.

I don't think it is possible to wear out a Weber...

replace burners, grilles, and hot plates once every 12 years, maybe, but even that...

admit it, you just want a new toy, right...?

:)

I am going to rebuild the Weber. But I do want to get into wood fired smoking and grilling!

Interesting for the smokers. For grilling, I'll stick with the Portable Kitchen grill I bought in 1971 and continue to use frequently. Have replaced the grates a couple of times, but cast aluminum hasnt worn out yet.

After doing my research I decided to go with an American made grill. Better yet an Oregon made grill. Today I ordered a MAK 1 star general.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it down here from Eugene!

I can't wait to cook on this grill!

Update on the grill. I picked it up the Sunday before christmas. I am simply blown away by the build quality of this grill. It is very heavy, all hardware is SS and the fit and finish is as good as any home appliance I have seen. Boy does this thing cook and smoke! It has changed the way we eat.

So far I have cooked:

Bacon (smoke 1 hour then finish @ 350)
Breakfast skillet
Biscuits
Shrimp
Oysters
Salmon
Prime Rib
Ribs
Pizza
Chicken
Jerky
Burgers
Backstrap (tonight)

Everything has been fantastic. This is the first time I have cooked with temp probes. I will never go back!

A couple photos:

So this is the MAK 1?

So this is the MAK 1?

Yes it is the MAK 1 star. Almost all of my cooking is done on the second grate. It centers the food in the middle of the cook/smoke chamber.

This grill rocks! It is warming up now to cook some antelope burgers right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom