The Traveling Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome home bud, it don't get any better than that. Well I guess it could if someone else was picking up the tab but then again you wouldn't be home already :lol:

Post trip report

Here is a post trip photo report:

Our path took us from Louisiana through Mississippi and then basically due north to Michigan. Our goal was to make it to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Our first night we camped in Southern Illinois at a campground called Ferne Clyffe. It was hot and humid there. Not exactly what we were expecting. I kept the rain fly off the tent to get air. We took a stroll in the woods looking for a waterfall that we couldn't find. That evening a deer walked out about 50 feet from our tent. It was also good to see fireflies again.

DSC01872.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

I blew a fuse the next morning trying to plug in too many electrical devices. So, I finally learned where the fuses go.

DSC01886.jpg

The next day we pushed hard through Illinois and Chicago's traffic was a drag and their toll booths bring the suck big time. Wisconsin was nice and their farm country is amazing!

DSC01894.jpg

Finally we made it to the UP. Totally incredible place. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a unique vacation spot.

DSC01907.jpg

The first falls we found:

DSC01935.jpg

The water was COLD:

DSC01939.jpg

Then we found these by Pictured Rocks:

DSC01955.jpg

The Hiawatha National Park/Pictured Rocks National Seashore had a lot of info for visitors. There were demos going on at all the locations. Here is a Chippewa guy showing how his ancestors made birch bark canoes:

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

And finally Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior. Water temps: Frigid.

DSC01971.jpg

The UP

I could live in the UP during summer. Night temps dipped into the upper 50s and daytime temps were in the 70s. The weather was phenomenal for our two days there.

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

Then we hit the dirt roads looking for moose and a campground for the night.

DSC02004.jpg

Then my 3 year old got a hold of the camera:

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02018.jpg

DSC02024.jpg

DSC02022.jpg

M,

Thanks much. Was awesome to see the trip. Wonderful pic of you and the family there all together for your trek. Brings lots of wishes to my mind.

Did you buy that canoe? So I can keep the red one?? :D

me

Continued

Sorry for the delay - computer issues, and then had to cook dinner.

After Pictured Rocks, we rolled west along that dirt road above looking for Grand Marais and a camping spot for the night. In Grand Marais, I picked up a pack of whitefish (the only seafood in town), some fixins and ducked into the Lake Superior Brewing Company. I assumed that maybe they'd have six packs of their beer for the sale. A not so nice bartender said all they sold to go was these big ass 64 ounce bottles fresh from the tap. I thought I died and went to heaven. I ordered up a bottle of Blueberry Wheat (sounds weird, but it's great, and really fresh). Then we found a camping spot that was out of this world. Right on the beach, totally quiet and peaceful. Only $15. I left my axe in a tree there. :mad:

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02036.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

Sunset on Lake Superior. You can't tell, but a stiff north wind was blowing in. Felt amazing. This was quite possibly the best camping spot that I've ever been to.

DSC02070.jpg

The next day we drove on to the northeast most point of the UP to see the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. Just off this point is a number of wrecks, great sea disasters that are just amazing. The most famous is the Edmund Fitzgerald, a coal tanker that went down in 1975 that Gordon Lightfoot made famous with his song. Look it up. I had it on the iPHone and Cameron made me play it over and over so he could learn the story.

DSC02095.jpg

DSC02091.jpg

Original bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald

DSC02075.jpg

It was also here that we met the night watchman on the ship tailing the Edmund Fitzgerald the night she went down. I got chill when he told me about standing on deck watching the EF's lights in the storm, hearing the captain's distress calls and then seeing a clear horizon, no sight of the EF. When they had the ceremony ringing the EF's bell, he was the ringer of the 30th bell sound to honor all the sailors that have lost their lives in the Great Lakes. What a story.

Taquamanen Falls

Later that day we went to Taquamanen Falls in the UP. Another amazing place where two sets of falls are in one outstanding state park. Freakin' loved it.

DSC02119.jpg

The only moose we saw

DSC02116.jpg

DSC02118.jpg

DSC02110.jpg

And found another brewery:

DSC02114.jpg

Paddling to see the falls (wasn't my idea)

DSC02103.jpg

And then we moved on to St. Ignace to rest for a big drive to Niagara Falls.

DSC02136.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

We were all getting edgy by the time we settled in for dinner in St. Ignace

DSC02123.jpg

And the next morning we crossed into Lower Michi

Niagara Falls

This was cool. Long, but cool. Glad I saw it and got it over with.

As close as I've been to a Catholic Church in a while

RoadTrip037.jpg

RoadTrip041.jpg

RoadTrip045.jpg

Then I went to the top of Hurricane Hill or something like that. Supposedly hurricane type winds and spray. Got freakin' soaked.

DSC02235.jpg

And of course Hard Rock Niagara

DSC02207.jpg

And after a long day, we drove east into New York, looking for the Adirondack Mountains. Again, toll roads suck. Highway Robbery got its nickname in NY.

I'm tired after a long day

DSC02238.jpg

And late in the day I found a gas station and the lady sold me a whole cheese pizza for $5. Wade liked it.

DSC02236.jpg

And finally we found another great campsite off the beaten path in the Adirondacks. Just amazing. Primitive, leave with what you brought and that was okay. It was called Pt. Comfort Campground.

RoadTrip058.jpg

RoadTrip063.jpg

Vermont

And finally we pushed into Vermont on day 5 or 6. We were all dog tired, but it was good to be with family again and let the Cruiser chill for a few days.

The Cruiser on the Essex ferry, crossing Lake Champlain

DSC02275.jpg

Then, we got our food from a working organic farm up the road from the Vermont Hebert's.

DSC02285.jpg

And saw where our bacon came from

DSC02289.jpg

Then sampled some Ben and Jerry's ice cream

DSC02312.jpg

DSC02306.jpg

DSC02308.jpg

The ECHO center in Burlington. An awesome science center

DSC02318.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

Cider mill in Stowe

DSC02348.jpg

Then rode to the top of Mt. Mansfield as a storm blew in over it from Lake Champlain

DSC02367.jpg

RoadTrip089.jpg

All in all, this was a great trip. Vermont has a ton of Toyota 4x4s. I found one 40 but it had CHEVOTA written across the front so I guess it's delegated to snow plow duty. 4Runners dominated with Tacomas. Every one was a 4x4. There were also a lot of FJ's up there. Maybe they were tourist, but they were everywhere. Vermonters take the cake with roof racks too. I wish I had one. It could have handled more of my cargo better so I'm going to get one. I kick myself for getting rid of the one I had on the 62.

Lessons learned for long road trips:

Get an Engle or Norcold fridge.
Set up a dual batter system
Get a trailer like Adventure Trailers or a home built one. Something to spread stuff out to like ice chests, canoes, fishing gear, tents, tool box. It was a bitch unloading camping gear and then luggage cuz they were all stacked on top of each other.

Last edited:
Nice!

Marty it looks like your kids had a fun time. Thats what its all about.

I was having an adventure just looking at the pics you posted. WOW is all I can say.

Looks like an AWESOME trip Marty. I wish I had the gumption to try something like that with my crew. They would kill each other after one day in the vehicle. Did you check your mileage and fuel economy on the trip? What a special outing! I am terribly jealous of you.

I met this nice couple from France last Thursday. They were sitting on the side of the road close to my house and you know, I just had to stop and get the story. They have been traveling for like a year and a half around the world, and this is not their first journey around the globe, but first time in this particular Land Cruiser. They said they would be driving north up Central America and be in our area in around 8 months. Being they are French they obviously love Louisiana and will stop by to say hello to our club if anyone is interested in meeting them.

In these pictures you can see a map that is glued to their side window............

frenchtravel2.jpg

frenchtravel3.jpg

frenchtravel5.jpg

frenchtravel6.jpg

frenchtravle.jpg

They also have a website of their travels...............RECITS de VOYAGES dans le MONDE - VOYAGE 4X4 PHOTOS BOURLINGUEURS

I met this nice couple from France last Thursday. They were sitting on the side of the road close to my house and you know, I just had to stop and get the story. They have been traveling for like a year and a half around the world, and this is not their first journey around the globe, but first time in this particular Land Cruiser. They said they would be driving north up Central America and be in our area in around 8 months. Being they are French they obviously love Louisiana and will stop by to say hello to our club if anyone is interested in meeting them.

In these pictures you can see a map that is glued to their side window............

They also have a website of their travels...............RECITS de VOYAGES dans le MONDE - VOYAGE 4X4 PHOTOS BOURLINGUEURS

Awesome stuff Isaac thanks for the story and pics. I'll move this to the traveling thread so it don't get lost in translation :clap:

Awesome stuff Isaac thanks for the story and pics. I'll move this to the traveling thread so it don't get lost in translation :clap:

I was like " I know I posted these pics, am I going crazy?" I guess they do belong here. It is the most extreme travel in the thread.:D These people are pretty serious about traveling. I usually just grab an ice chest and some coldies, they had all kinds of cool gear.

Just to put more things where they don't belong........Happy birthday and Marty, you too.:flipoff2:

I was like " I know I posted these pics, am I going crazy?" I guess they do belong here. It is the most extreme travel in the thread.:D These people are pretty serious about traveling. I usually just grab an ice chest and some coldies, they had all kinds of cool gear.

Just to put more things where they don't belong........Happy birthday and Marty, you too.:flipoff2:

Thanks bud :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom