The thread of The Frank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the top of the world trail on the spring break trip, I noticed that my brakes were very soft on steep uphills, but felt ok when the nose was pointing down. I've never adjusted my LSPV either. I'm thinking on the uphills, the weight is shifted back enough that the LSPV is shifting pressure to the rear, and I have some issue in my rear brakes. But when I'm level, or pointing down hill, the unadjusted LSPV is keeping most of the pressure up front, so you don't notice the rear brake problem as much.

So may be following your lead soon on the brake system overhaul. Have slightly warped rotors up front as well - wasn't careful enough coming down Imogene last summer.

Any brake bleeding tips to share - two quarts of fluid sounds like alot of pedal pumping!

It was a lot of pumping! Others have used vacuum bleeder with good results, but I am skeptical that pressurized devices are good ideas since they also pressurize our aging reservoirs, which were not designed for any pressure.

80 series trucks are notoriously difficult to bleed.

I've used pressure, vacuum, and pedal methods.

For a large volume bleed/system flush I would use the pressure system. You are welcome to look it over and borrow it if you want. Never thought much about what Andrew mentioned, but we are not talking about high pressures.

I may take you up on that - not at the top of the list just yet though

Last weekend, I finished up my lingering exhaust project by running the exhaust from the muffler out to behind the rear wheel. I wanted to maintain as much ground clearance as possible, so I did not go all the way to the rear bumper. Also, I had noticed some leaks from 2 of the exhaust clamps in the system, so I sealed all of the clamped connections with high temperature RTV sealant. The result: much less noise in the cab. FYI, I never noticed any fumes/smell inside the truck when driving with the exhaust turned down after the muffler.

exhaust.jpg

I also filled my 3FE up with some fresh 15W40 in preparation for the trip I took this weekend go wheeling with some old friends in Rio Puerco, just West of Rio Rancho, NM. Some shots from the trip...

The Group:
Group01w.jpg

Some Frank flexing shots. We got into a meandering arroyo that really tests your suspension:
Frank01w.jpg

Frank03w.jpg

Frank06w.jpg

I am Way happy with the sway bar disconnects. They really free up the front end, keeping tires on the ground more, and I think that for offroad driving, the ride is a bit better.

The frank did great everywhere we wet, but I just don't have enough power to climb some of the steep sand dunes that are in this area.:hmm:

Looks like a fun trip. Sounds like you're in need of some gears for the Frank to get some of that power back. When are you gonna make the step up to some 35s and 5.29s?

Reactions: SAS
Looks like a fun trip. Sounds like you're in need of some gears for the Frank to get some of that power back. When are you gonna make the step up to some 35s and 5.29s?

Not sure I can stuff 35's...but i know I can't get in my garage with them, so it's going to have to wait. The trip did get me thinking about gears due to having a hard time in the sand and having to run the truck so hard on the interstate. I think it would help for sure.

My buddy's truck dwarfed my truck, and that got me thinking about bigger tires, too...but it would take more than 35's:

Group05.jpg

Uh oh, I might have some competition on the next flexy obstacle... :D
I too notice the better ride quality with my sway bar disconnected, especially if the tires are still at street pressure.

might have to put those disconnects on my to do list...

might have to put those disconnects on my to do list...

One piece of negative feedback on my sway disconnects from my New Mexico trip: I got lucky. I put a bracket to hold the sway bar out of the way on the passenger side only. I nearly lost the drivers side bushing (inside the end of the sway bar) beacuse it was loose. I'm not sure if the bushing should be pressed in and has shrunk from old age, but this possiblity would have been avoided by installing a bracket on the drivers side, too. Alternatively, I could have left the PTO pin installed in the sway bar on the drivers side.

Wha? Did someone say flexy?

Nice! part of the reason I wanted to run Reynolds Wrap. Its a good trail to challenge the suspension.

Last edited:
Popped the hood to check thing before going out tomorrow and found this:

fan shroud.jpg

I'm guessing I'm in for a new fan shroud and engine mount(s), but I am glad I didn't break any fan blades. I guess this is the downside to the flexy obstacles. Also, I installed my hand throttle. I have not had issues with winching or airing up, but I'm hoping that being able to bump the idle up to ~2K during these times will help alternator output.

hand.jpg

Nice, welcome to the club :grinpimp:. Can't wait to see what you have in mind :wrench::wrench:

Sorry to hear about the golf ball...

Working to get The Frank back on the road in time for the club run and trail cleanup this weekend. Got new motor mounts installed and replaced hoses and water pump, while I was in there. A couple hoses were pretty soft, so this was good timing. Also, I'm pretty sure my water pump drips were the result of previous lazy mechanic work: i found bits of old gasket stuck on the block beneath the installed gasket...nice.

20161007_223605.jpg

If you can't duck it...
20161010_165832.jpg

...I will have to pick up a fan shroud ASAP. Duct tape under the hood just makes me feel like the truck is dying a slow death. Will fix soon.

Get your Sharpie, and write "T E Q" on the duct tape. It's good !!!
Looks legit to me.
20161011_204342.jpg

Oh yeah, and she started right up. I was worried that I might have screwed something up while shifting the engine around to install the mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom