The Right Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
If you live in the North East or Pacific North West an ax is a critical piece of equipment. Wood is the predominate resource so an ax makes sense. If you live in the high desert a shovel might be more useful, not many trees but lots of dirt and rocks.

What is the right tool for your area and why?

I’ve found that on snow runs my fiberglass handled square bladed shovel that I found on the side of the road works better than a round bladed shovel. The corners can dig into the snow without deflecting. Also found out that it’s way superior than a driveway shovel for getting packed frozen snow out from under a high centered vehicle.

Long handled shovels only for me please. I can fit two sideways in my FJ40 behind the front seats, I carry my square and a round in case there are rocks and dirt that have to get moved. And if I’m shoveling usually there is work for two and the other guy almost never has a shovel.

A long handle is a good thing, however for travel I like a folding military shovel. There are a couple of advantages to a folding shovel. First it takes up little space in your truck. Second the short handle maneuvers easily under a truck when you are trying to dig out a wheel. I have a Swiss military folding shovel that I really like.
This one
Swiss Original Military Folding Shovel with Leather Cover and Hardwood Handle - MIL-1151

the right tool in your vehicle? i'm sayin' the guy drivin' it. well you're not gonna let anyone else beat the wee out it are ya?
2 full size shovels, square n round blade. got to be forged blades with hardwood handles
a dirty work axe
2 saws, 24" buck n 18" chainsaw
all of the above stays in the beast

If you live in the North East or Pacific North West an ax is a critical piece of equipment. Wood is the predominate resource so an ax makes sense. If you live in the high desert a shovel might be more useful, not many trees but lots of dirt and rocks.

What is the right tool for your area and why?
I live in the PNW and yes, an axe is useful, but not in a city. A more useful tool, IMHO, would be an ice scraper with snow brush for getting started safely on a snowy winter morning, on the trail or parking outside anywhere. Admittedly it does a lot of sitting in the other 3 seasons, but kind of indispensable in the winter.

I live in the PNW and yes, an axe is useful, but not in a city. A more useful tool, IMHO, would be an ice scraper with snow brush for getting started safely on a snowy winter morning, on the trail or parking outside anywhere. Admittedly it does a lot of sitting in the other 3 seasons, but kind of indispensable in the winter.
The ice scrapper gets a fair amount of use here in the high desert as well. I keep one in my truck year round so I don't even consider it a piece of trail gear, just every day carry.

I live out in Oregon. While I always take a shovel and axe, a chainsaw is extremely useful. Downed trees across your path and firewood. Axe just isn't going to cut it (pun intended). At least it won't cut it with this old man swinging it.

I'm with @Cruzerman. I live in eastern Oregon which is high desert but I do most of my camping in the forests around so I carry both full time and put the chainsaw in as well when headed out for s trip. The ice scraper/snow broom is definitely important come wintertime.

My Sig P365 is always on me along with my Emerson CQC7 for those two or four legged animals that we all have to deal with from time to time. The standard loadout that is stored and always stays in and on my 40 is a full Warn recovery kit with extra straps and shackles, section of synthetic recovery rope, 2 1/2 gallons of water, USGI folding entrenching tool, a couple of USGI emergency casualty blankets, two USGI body bags, baby wipes in a Pelican case, shop towels, ARB tire deflate and repair kit, small compressor, high lift jack with accessories, silky saw, Gransfors Bruks outdoor axe, normal everyday mechanic tools, a few spare Toyota parts and spare fluids/ oils. It seems like a lot but I have managed to pack it all down into a compact organized system that is readily accessible.

I live out in Oregon. While I always take a shovel and axe, a chainsaw is extremely useful. Downed trees across your path and firewood. Axe just isn't going to cut it (pun intended). At least it won't cut it with this old man swinging it.
I'm with @Cruzerman. I live in eastern Oregon which is high desert but I do most of my camping in the forests around so I carry both full time and put the chainsaw in as well when headed out for s trip. The ice scraper/snow broom is definitely important come wintertime.
(I'll try this again since my previous post was deleted by a moderator because: "Reason: Keep the policies in P&R" - whatever that means.)

I'd love to carry a chain saw, but I don't think it will be a good idea with recent changes & restrictions that I've seen and heard about. You might be cited in our state for unauthorized alteration of landscape for cutting a tree that fell across the road or trail. o_O I know, I know - just wait & see. It's just not the West I grew up in, anymore ..... :censor: Hopefully, this doesn't offend anyone.

This is more than asked, but I spend fairly equal amount of time, in remote areas both, in deserts and mountains, always alone, except for my dogs. So, I carry all this stuff, it’s all equally important, everywhere, to be as self sufficient as I can:
  • comprehensive first aid kit;
  • Various elbow, wrist, knee and ankle braces (CopperFit)
  • SPOT X. With GEOS rescue insurance and off road vehicle recovery insurance.
  • fire extinguishers (2)
  • HiLift Jack and accessories.
  • Come-along
  • Bottle jack
  • Winch and ARB full recovery kit
  • ARB tire repair kit
  • Pair of traction panels, to get out of sand and mud
  • .40 semi-auto, for predators;
  • .44mag for real predators.
  • Shovels;
  • Folding military shovel.
  • Ax. Also makes a good pick, in an emergency;
  • machete. Many uses and also makes a good camp ax, for kindling and such.
  • Handheld GPS.
  • Survival knife.
  • Spare parts and FSMs (I’ve needed both, a few times)
  • Wire, Duct tape, various tubes of sealant, hoses, fan belts, etc.
  • Tools: wrenches; screwdrivers; channel locks; dykes, needlenose and other styles of pliers; vice grips; putty knives; wire brushes; files; ratchets and sockets; 12v impact driver and most impact socket sizes;
  • Vehicle fluids. Every type.
  • 5 gals tap water.
  • 15 gals drinking water
  • Lifestraw personal water filters (2).
  • Rope and paracord
  • Tarps and several telescoping tent poles
  • Nathan 2liter hydration pack
  • REI 2liter bladder, 40liter pack, (in case I have to hike out) with compass, appropriate maps, another survival knife; tiny backpacker stove & fuel; Mtn House food pouches; beef sticks; packets of nuts and trail mix; ultralight tent; inflatable mat; long Johns; knit cap, belacava, two fleece packets (1 light and 1 heavy); small first aid kit; personal hygiene kit; light sticks; wipes; extra batteries; Halo Bolt power source, etc.
  • Dog pack, with four 1liter water bladders and dig food.
  • Two sets of dog boots for both dogs
  • Exped
  • Exped inflatable pillow
  • Cause and knit caps with lights
  • Cot
  • 4-person tent
  • Folding 2’x4’ table
  • Folding chair
  • 2-burner propane stove
  • Many tuna packets
  • Two weeks supply of Mtn House and Wise breakfasts and dinners.
  • Bread, Ole Wraps and corn tortillas,
  • Avocado cooking oil
  • Unrefrigerated cheese
  • Unrefrigerated pre-cooked bacon
  • Cans of chicken and rice soup, jars of salsa, packets of cooked chicken. Add cheese and fried corn tortillas and make chicken-tortilla soup.
  • Dog food, Dog treats, frisbee and tennis balls.
  • My dogs are trained, but they hike, off leash, wearing electric collars, just in case. I carry the remote.
  • Sleeping bag
  • Blankets, wool and other
  • Dog blankets
  • Clothes, warm weather and cold weather.
If the plan is primarily desert, I carry an additional 7 gals of tap water and an additional 5 gals of drinking water.

... and, yes, it all fits nicely. :steer:

I own a pecan ranch with around 8,000+ trees. So I own 3 pole saws and 2 large echo saws.

The wife bought me this beauty for my rig and its badass. 12" 26cc.

I agree with first aid and water/food. But I love this saw

20190121_195209.jpg

@a31gun that's the chain saw I've got. It's great. Does a lot of work. But it's a small package. One of the best things I've bought.

I feel ya @80t0ylc I'm only in my late 30s and I can even see it's not the west I grew up in either. I'm 4th generation Oregonian but not sure how much longer I'll be able to live here. I'm glad there is still a lot of wide open spaces on my side of the state to get away from it all. I like threads like this to give me ideas of what I should be taking out there to ensure I make it back.

A long handle is a good thing, however for travel I like a folding military shovel. There are a couple of advantages to a folding shovel. First it takes up little space in your truck. Second the short handle maneuvers easily under a truck when you are trying to dig out a wheel. I have a Swiss military folding shovel that I really like.
Yeah..I wouldn't ever want a folding axe, or a multi-piece axe. All the stress from the blow would be focused on the weakest section. So, bad idea...
A folding shovel, on the other hand, is a nifty little gadget. I have a nice little one, got it for about 15 bucks, surplus.
It folds down to twelve inches or so, has a sharp blade, with a serrated section, and weighs about a pound. Beats the hell out of digging holes with a stick or a knife. I'd rather carry the extra weight, and save my knife that trouble (or, more likely, saves me the trouble of digging with a stupid stick).
Having a shovel is not a necessity, but it makes quick work of chores that would otherwise be tedious. They're functional weapons in a pinch, also, so that's a plus.

Last edited:
Agreed on a two piece axe. Not for me. The military shovel is awesome. Shovel, axe, hoe, machete...many uses. My Uncle was a green beret in Nam. He actually used the same shovel as a combat axe in a bad situation while outside the wire.

Yeah..I wouldn't ever want a folding axe, or a multi-piece axe. All the stress from the blow would be focused on the weakest section. So, bad idea...
A folding shovel, on the other hand, is a nifty little gadget. I have a nice little one, got it for about 15 bucks, surplus.
It folds down to twelve inches or so, has a sharp blade, with a serrated section, and weighs about a pound. Beats the hell out of digging holes with a stick or a knife. I'd rather carry the extra weight, and save my knife that trouble (or, more likely, saves me the trouble of digging with a stupid stick).
Having a shovel is not a necessity, but it makes quick work of chores that would otherwise be tedious. They're functional weapons in a pinch, also, so that's a plus.
It's been a long time since I started this thread but the intent was to ask what tools are best for where you go and what you do. In a forest an axe is a useful thing, in the desert not so much. Survival in the desert may depend on digging a hole to find water, or digging a slit trench to find shelter from the sun. When the abundant resource is wood an ax is good, when the abundant resource is rocks and dirt a shovel is better.
This is the exact shovel I have:
Swiss Original Military Folding Shovel with Leather Cover and Hardwood Handle - MIL-1151

It is stout as hell, the cheap reproduction shovels aren't worth the weight of having them in your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom