The Peregrinations & Misadventures of Brigadier D+/ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seven miles with @kasassy on the trail. She pedalled next to us. At the start of a long downhill --I always walk the downhills because it's so hard on his joints-- I told Kass to take off and I'd catch up later.

Then once I was finally on the flat again I let Briggy canter. Kass was totally out of sight. In his fixation on finding her and "winning" the race he decided they were in, he braced against the reins and took off, at which point I literally had no brakes.

Finally at a dreaded bridge he slowed and I jumped off, realizing the chain under his chin was so loose it wasn't even in contact with it. I tightened the chain which helped me regain my brakes, and caught up with @kasassy.

I usually tighten the chain before races, but I didn't realize we were in this race until it was too late. Kassy got a kick out of the fact that Briggy is older than her by two years.

IMG_20190106_131905788_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190106_122347976_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190106_121229677_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190106_132317508_HDR.jpg

Briggy's saddle was custom made for him over in Cheyenne by the good folks at Synergist Saddles. They took all the measurements I sent in and he now has a saddle that fits him perfectly.

Correct saddle fit isn't a big deal when you jump on for a half hour at a time, but it becomes imperative when you are riding for miles and miles.

This saddle is now 7 years old and showing its age; the fenders need to be redyed and some of the conchos have worked loose. The conchos have to be fixed before the 2019 ride season.

I have been postponing sending it back to Synergist because we have not had snow, which means that Mohonk has not closed to horseback riding yet this winter. But that will all change on Thursday, when we get the first of two winter storms.

So off it goes.
IMG_20190115_163211035.jpg

While I was cleaning out the tack room of the trailer, I figured I'd bring home all the other stuff that had to get cleaned...
IMG_20190115_181531000.jpg

I would never go back to leather headstalls or reins. I love being able to dump all my stuff in the sink and scrub it in hot water. Very satisfying to have clean tack and it looks brand new.

Some people like to do things their spouses don't approve of when they go on business trips and they wouldn't find out.

I am one of those people.

IMG_20190119_153933918.jpg

I wash Briggy's blankets in our washing machine when Onur travels. :flamingo:

So, @CID 96 ...hearing you were accepted into the Vermont 100. Congrats! Onur is already telling me "time to sign up!"

Yep, super excited! Would love to get together with you guys while we are there. What distance are you thinking of signing up for?

They offer 50/75/100. I am thinking of entering two 25s two weeks apart, in May and June, then entering the Moonlight in Vermont 50. They start the 50s at 2 PM so we get to ride at night.

He has to get through at least one 25 looking really good to be entered in VT. His health and happiness are paramount.

That is a race where all of the vet holds are "away," all on different estates near South Woodstock. Some are shared with the runners and some aren't. It's damn near impossible to do it alone, so it will be really nice to have Onur crew for us there. We would get there the day before and leave the day after, camping the whole time with Briggy.

There is a margarita bar at mile 90 (mile 40 for us chumps!). It is a really special race. Easily my favorite. Riding a moonlit trail I've never been on, alone, the cool breeze through the trees...

Last edited:
Sounds good, my crew (wife and daughter) will be with me also, got a hotel in Brownsville, VT. No camping for me. After 100 miles, I am going to want a real bed and such.

We are going to fly up the week before and make a little family vacation out of it. We will coordinate with you guys closer to time. Belle is really looking forward to meeting Briggy and seeing all the other horses and riders. This is the first time she has been excited about going to one of my races.

Welp, Briggy's saddle made it back from Cheyenne looking pretty good, and we made it through two storms. Have to wait for the snow to melt before we can hit the trails again, but it'll be awhile, as Mohonk grooms them for skiiers and the snow is packed down now.

Brig is happy; I show up to give him apples and chips, then make sure he's clean, his blankets are not irritating him, and he hasn't thrown a shoe. He loves being on holiday.

Briggy finally had his winter shoes pulled! New shoes have studs and pads; leather ones up front and plastic ones in back.

IMG_20190322_153207290.jpg
IMG_20190322_153231956.jpg
IMG_20190322_153249922.jpg

Our first race is in about ten weeks in Vermont. I am really looking forward to warmer weather to start conditioning.

Last edited:
Maybe this was covered already in the thread but based on the first post I had to google “do horses have fur”
Horses have hair and not fur. Although there is no difference between hair and fur, a horse's coat is called hair because it is not dense enough for humans to use as garments.

Still seems weird to me to call a horse’s coat hair but fur doesn’t make sense either...

Maybe this was covered already in the thread but based on the first post I had to google “do horses have fur”

Still seems weird to me to call a horse’s coat hair but fur doesn’t make sense either...

Definitely hair.

Pretty humid and warm today. Neither of us are in shape and he still has most of his winter coat so we only did a few slow miles. Felt great to be out.

IMG_20190414_132658301.jpg

IMG_20190414_135610271_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190414_144101893.jpg

IMG_20190414_144111633_HDR.jpg

We did six miles on Sunday. Briggy has been making me pretty nervous lately as he's been stumbling a whole lot, which is very dangerous. I managed to keep my seat the last two times he went down on his knees, but for the first time in my riding career I am now envisioning accidents that could hurt one or both of us. Or worse -- I'm almost too scared to type it.

IMG_20190421_133838310.jpg

IMG_20190421_135142213.jpg

Someone was vacuuming something somewhere. He would have stood there all day had I let him.
IMG_20190421_134757846_HDR.jpg

I am going to formulate a plan with the farrier to adjust his shoeing to rectify the issue. If he is stumbling on near-flat carriage roads he definitely won't be able to negotiate a trail he doesn't know, at midnight in a pine forest, where if the rocks don't getcha the roots will. My farrier seems pretty confident that he can fix the issue. Fingers crossed.

Beno doing a front knuckle job on your horse trailer? :D He can do that in his sleep! Pic of the two of you is awesome!!! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom