The OFFICIAL clunk/thunk driveshaft thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple weeks ago I pumped the shafts until I heard cracking inside. It never oozed out anywhere, but this was more grease than I ever pumped in, so I stopped. I think I did 25 pumps on the front and 35 on the rear. The thunk went away until the last couple of days, but it is very minor now and not everytime I take off from a stop. I'm going to try it again until I see some coming past the seals this time.

It got me thinking though regarding an AHC vehicle. Going from high to low compresses the drive shaft right? Seems like it would be designed for over greasing (if that were an issue).

If the slide yoke has been neglected for a while it can be difficult to purge the old dried out grease. Pump in what you can and let it sit (days or weeks). The new grease will bleed oil into the old dried out grease softening it. Then you'll get more out next time. A #1 grease might be good for this too.

The Moly in the grease will take some time to get plated onto the splines so it will get better the longer you have the right grease in.

Mine has a fairly frequent 'clunk' when I shift from reverse to drive. Is this the same "thud" we're talking about here?

I'll shoot some Amsoil grease in the shafts tomorrow to see if it eliminates the noise.

I have this exact same thing. I need to grease it up this weekend to see if it fixes the problem. :steer:

Is this the same clunk this thread is referring to? I just bought my 100 a couple of weeks ago and noticed the clunk when shifting from R to D. Can anyone confirm this is the same thing everyone is taling about here?

Mine has a fairly frequent 'clunk' when I shift from reverse to drive. Is this the same "thud" we're talking about here?

I'll shoot some Amsoil grease in the shafts tomorrow to see if it eliminates the noise.

Is this the same clunk this thread is referring to? I just bought my 100 a couple of weeks ago and noticed the clunk when shifting from R to D. Can anyone confirm this is the same thing everyone is taling about here?

You will feel a slight, very mild "thud" when the transmission goes from R to D or vice versa...but there shouldn't really be any audible noise. As Rob mentioned, the noise that we are referring to is solely related to the driveshaft.

You will feel a slight, very mild "thud" when the transmission goes from R to D or vice versa...but there shouldn't really be any audible noise. As Rob mentioned, the noise that we are referring to is solely related to the driveshaft.

So the mild "thud" you are referring to is nomal for 100s? I don't seem to have any clunks from driveline slop.

Cruizin,

I have both symptoms. Greasing the slip yoke solves my stoplight clunk for about 3K miles.

I have the R to D clunk to. I discovered if I let the truck completely stop moving backward and then pause for about a second before I shift to D, I don't get the clunk.

So the mild "thud" you are referring to is nomal for 100s? I don't seem to have any clunks from driveline slop.

Yep. On mine at least, ~139K on the clock. Like Marc mentioned though, I've found that 100s (or at least MY 100) is very sensitive to being COMPLETELY stopped when changing gears. If you're still rolling in reverse when you shift into D, you'll get a very pronounced thud. If stopped, it's almost completely eliminated. Just the nature of the beast I suppose. My GM SUV's aren't as finicky, but then again the transmissions aren't quite as tight as the hundy's.

C'mon people. Why are you still rolling when you're shifting gears ( D <-> R )? Automotive 101 and that's a big no-no. Aside from this poor habit, the only other tranny thuds I've heard about that are maintenance items require one to flush the tranny fluids.

Oh and a pal of mine has had two Audi A4's in a row. He insists on this poor habit and naturally has had two transmission give out. Bottom line, there's just no excuse for rolling while shifting reverse to drive and there's just no excuse for putting it in park and then letting the truck weight roll on to the parking gear.

Everyone's definition of rolling may be different, but I'm certainly not slamming it into gear. The point here is that the land cruiser seems to be particularly sensitive to being completely stopped, then waiting a second, THEN shifting gears or you get the thud. My Suburban isn't that sensitive. But, accordingly, I wait long enough to prevent the thud in the LC. The fact that your pal had two Audi tranmissions go out on him is indicitive of the fact that he bought two Audis, I think. :lol:

By the way, my Suburban has 230K miles on it and runs like a swiss watch. I think my driving habits are just fine, thanks. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Fuzz, your Suburban with 230k on it is awesome. My dad sold it eventually but he's had a Jimmy with 250 or 275k on it. And we've had 3 Mustangs go deep into 200k miles with no trans or engine problems. American cars get a bad rap in my mind. They're very reliable with the critical components. When it comes to the finer details, it's a whole 'nuther story.

The LC could be particularly sensitive to the gear changes. I just think it's not really an issue when driven/shifted appropriately. Like you said, you've got you're routine...I guess I do too but I'm not having to wait a full second. I just drive in reverse until the car stops. Then take it out of gear and put it into drive. And then accelerate.

Same kind of care goes toward cold starts. Or putting the tranny in park while on a hill. Sounds like you and I agree, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

C'mon people. Why are you still rolling when you're shifting gears ( D <-> R )? Automotive 101 and that's a big no-no. Aside from this poor habit, the only other tranny thuds I've heard about that are maintenance items require one to flush the tranny fluids.

I don't shift it when its rolling backwards, but anyway, my "thud" happens when I reverse, come to a full stop, then shift into neutral, seems to come from just under the center of the dash.

If you think that rolling while shifting is bad, you should come out to the track during EVOC recertification and see some of the crazy stuff we do. Those crown vics sure can take a beating...:eek:

Anyway, back to the point of the driveline thunk. I need to get more moly grease in there and see if I can actually the the shafts to separate/extend a little. Hopefully once it's properly lubricated, some of that corrosion will wear off and I'll start noticing that nice shiny spot.

Thanks to Lexi4Darin for coming over today to help out on the thunk removal on my rig. Everything by the book. All joints looked good and grease flowed freely.

By the way if you are not using a pneumatic grease gun to do this you are in the stone age. So easy.

PS used Sta-Lube Moly Graph if you care.

Last edited:
im having this clunk on the driveshaft everytime i run thru a speed bump with gas on but when i release the gas and pass thru there is no clunk i think it has something got to do with torsion to the spline? i greased, cleaned and greased enough with no improvement. i think it has something got to do with the slip yoke spline prying with each other when compressing any solutions with this prob? sounds like my driveshaft is comming of during compression

Mine has a fairly frequent 'clunk' when I shift from reverse to drive. Is this the same "thud" we're talking about here? ...

I have the D <-> R clunk. It does it sitting in my garage with my foot on the brake - never moved. Just back and forth, clunk, clunk, clunk...

:meh:

I have more of a clank than a clunck and it does it when I am parked. It seems to be on the bounce back down after the car bounces up. Passenger side by the rear wheel. Checked around and pushed and pulled on everything but nothing seems loose.

Example. Going over a speed bump. No noise as i go over. no noise as it comes down. But after it recoils back up it clangs as it comes back down.

It might be the shock but I could not get it to budge with my hands. Could the shock still be loose if I can't get it to wiggle at all? Does everyone have a bolt on that side that seems to end right next to the shock arm. I would say it is less then 1/4 inch from the end of the bolt to the the shoch arm. Bolt is angled and not parellel to the shock arm. ( My thinking is if the shock is actually still loose than maybe it has changed the angle of the shock and the weight of the vehicle would cause it to move enought to make contact with the bolt) My other guess is that the shock is loose and there is just too much play in the top bolt of the shock so when it bounces up it can unseat and clangs on the way down?

I have about 40K on the shocks and were put on by Toyota dealer by PO.

QUOTE]
I recently did some work on an 05 LC that my in-laws picked up (I have a 98 LC myself). Had a pretty good driveshaft clunk.For the 05 rear driveshaft, the slip joint zerk was located up at the t-case side of the driveshaft, not the rear diff side (as I guess is the case for the older vehicles?).[/QUOTE]

Anyone else notice a difference in the location of the slip joint? My 98 has it at the rear diff, the 05 for my inlaws has it near the t-case. The 05 also has the hole at the end of the slip joint to let all the grease escape.

rich

I got a new one for you guys... this one only happens when the car has come to a complete stop.

Pull up to a stop, wait a few seconds and then get a squelchy klunk in the front left hand corner that i can feel through the break pedal.... :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom