Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It, seems to be melting off today but it is a muddy mess right now. None of the forest roads are open yet, so there isn’t much OffRoad available near me at least.

It, seems to be melting off today but it is a muddy mess right now. None of the forest roads are open yet, so there isn’t much OffRoad available near me at least.
Well that’s a shame was hoping to do some shed hunting soon, just finished up a ton of work on the Tacoma , haven’t even put it in 4Lo yet

I have been grinding pretty hard literally and mentally to build a cargo system for the The Milk Truck. I decided I didn’t really like the rack I built and it turned out I don’t think I need a rack like that at this time, so I pulled it off.

I opted instead to build a cargo basket that would mount on top of the spare tire. I built a single post mount that is secured to a plate under the spare tire built from .25 DOM with a big freakin 7/8 inch fine thread nut and bolt.

IMG_9324.jpeg

The basket was built out of 1x1 1/8 inch tube, some corners I made out of 1/4 inch 4x4 tube, and the pictured panels from Hot Metal Fab that came with the rack I decided not to use. In process
IMG_9262.jpeg

IMG_9264.jpeg

Almost done.
IMG_9321.jpeg

I wasn’t a fan of the HMF logo cut into the rack which got me thinking it would be cooler if I had my own brand of sorts. After playing with some ideas I came up with a TEQ inspired version of TMT (The Milk Truck).
1712989114154.png

I reached out to @bluehawk who was kind enough to cut me some plates with this logo in 1/8 steel. He turned them out pretty quick and they turned out awesome!
IMG_9325.jpeg

I cut the HMF logo out and welded in the new plates.
IMG_9326.jpeg

IMG_9329.jpeg

Installed
IMG_9330.jpeg

IMG_9331.jpeg

IMG_9332.jpeg

I should get it painted this weekend and it will be ready for the trip.

Last edited:
In addition to the cargo basket I built a slider tray to carry a cooler and gear box. I didn’t get a bunch of progress pictures but after toying with a number of ideas I ordered some custom bent c-channel that runs the length of the cargo box. The full length allows me to bolt them on using the lift points I installed and gave me mounting options for my fuel can mounts.
IMG_9315.jpeg

After some cutting, drilling and welding I installed 20 inch sliders on the channel, with mounts to attach a cargo tray I bough of FB. It bolts in nice and tight.
IMG_9322.jpeg

The tray sits high enough to clear the bed but the slides will only extend out if the tailgate is down, so if the slide got unlocked on the trail it can only move about 4-5 inches.

I will have to get more pictures up after it all gets painted and assembled this weekend.

Last edited:
I finished building the cargo system this weekend and after painting it, it is reinstalled.
IMG_9345.jpeg

IMG_9348.jpeg

The basket I built to fit my tent cot which I will be trying out for the first time soon. The slider tray fits a cooler and gear box. The fuel can carriers will fit up to 5 gallon cans, the rest will have to fit in the drawer or in the cab.

I wasn’t a fan of the HMF logo cut into the rack which got me thinking it would be cooler if I had my own brand of sorts. After playing with some ideas I came up with a TEQ inspired version of TMT (The Milk Truck).
View attachment 3605866
I reached out to @bluehawk who was kind enough to cut me some plates with this logo in 1/8 steel. He turned them out pretty quick and they turned out awesome!
View attachment 3605867
I cut the HMF logo out and welded in the new plates.
View attachment 3605868
View attachment 3605869
Installed
View attachment 3605870
View attachment 3605871
View attachment 3605872
I should get it painted this weekend and it will be ready for the trip.
Those new side panels welded in look awesome. Thanks for reaching out to me and giving me the opportunity to make them for you.

I finished building the cargo system this weekend and after painting it, it is reinstalled.
View attachment 3607390
View attachment 3607394

The basket I built to fit my tent cot which I will be trying out for the first time soon. The slider tray fits a cooler and gear box. The fuel can carriers will fit up to 5 gallon cans, the rest will have to fit in the drawer or in the cab.
Badass! Nice job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom