The FJ Company - 1977 FJ40 Restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update time!

This 77 is moving along nicely. Lots of progress since my last update, enjoy!

some of the key body parts are being gathered for assembly after being stripped of their original yellow finish.

image_57a4eabfa8c31_20.jpg

Doors were in great condition!

image_57a4eaa58b1cb_19.jpg

After a little attention was given to the passenger floorboards the foundation is solid again. Time for mock up

image_58473e44a7834_51.jpg

Ready for primer!

image_58473e0523ffc_47.jpg

Really excited to see this coming together hopefully ya'll are too!

Its amazing to me how you strip these by hand.. That HAS to be a long labor intensive job... What tools / products do you use? Would love to know some specifics on that... And also I know you sand blast the frame, but why not the body? Is it due to loss of integrity?
Thanks for the updates...

How was that stripped? Baked? Very tidy, that is an incredible chassis to start with.

Its amazing to me how you strip these by hand.. That HAS to be a long labor intensive job... What tools / products do you use? Would love to know some specifics on that... And also I know you sand blast the frame, but why not the body? Is it due to loss of integrity?
Thanks for the updates...

Yes mostly by hand, along with the majority handled with chemical stripping agents. This gets down to the metal quickly, doesn't run the risk of warpage and can help salvage more delicate pieces. I believe we use a 3M version of the paint stripper, but I'm not 100% on that.

Wow... Is that rear floor original?

Rear floor is original, only a small portion of the passenger floor was replaced. Very solid truck! Thanks California!

Update time!

This 77 FJ40 is beginning to take shape! Finally getting paint laid down, assembly is right around the corner...

image_5894d06e42222_64.jpg

Everyone loves a clean knuckle....

image_58b8da93f27b1_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Restoration_071.jpg

Every frame is checked and double checked to assure we have a straight chassis to start with.

image_58b8da74bf673_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Restoration_070.jpg

And the end result is a beautiful chassis worthy of a few photos all by itself.

image_58b9f2e61e667_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Restoration_078.jpg

Just a teaser for now, more to come as final assembly is taking place as we speak! This is going to be good!

image_58b9f2bc0592c_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Restoration_076.jpg

See more pictures of this 40 at www.fj.co

what a shame to take a perfectly clean original and do a resto when there simply wasnt a need to do more than a mechanical resto/update.

at some point people will catch on to what the rest of the automobile/collector world is onto which is unrestored originals are worth ALOT more than a resto.

but hey- to each his own. the guy got his no-stripes and a spit polish unoriginal and provides a resto shop with some work. win win.

Last edited:
Yeah I do like the vintage original look but how many of you want to restore a hacked up 40? It's a pain. People on here always say get the best one you can afford I don't think it's any dif for FJco or the client.

But I do agree I think unrestored in great condition should be valued more highly than it is for 40's currently.

There is a lot of value in a well done resto, especially for a daily driver. No doubt they are only original once but fj40's are kind of an individual rig anyway so I say make it your own and enjoy it.

Have you ever had a bent cruiser frame?

That's a good question...I don't think we have had any so far that were bent. It's more of a peace of mind, as well as a way to double check that we are starting off with a solid and straight foundation.

Yeah I do like the vintage original look but how many of you want to restore a hacked up 40? It's a pain. People on here always say get the best one you can afford I don't think it's any dif for FJco or the client.
I kinda disagree. Once your in this deep, replacing panels isn't a big deal. Plus when u replace panels you get rid of rust between the spot welds. By not removing panels, there will still be hidden rust which will continue to advance. But that could take a while if it Is kept in a dry climate.

But it's not just one panel, its all the cancerous hacked up rusty parts.

Let's just say I want all hacked up 40's and all original 40's to survive. As a business, and time is money and you have clients, working on something like say a california 40 vs a Canadian 40 is more time and money consuming and that gets passed on to a customer.

I appreciate the FJco keeping things Toyota, and all their work, and agree with it. I also agree with keeping things original when original, but to alot of us this is our hobby. At least they keep it Toyota.

Anyway, nice work!

Great job! I applaud the owner for stepping up and spending some money on a well redone vehicle, it's easy to say you like (patina) when your pockets aren't so deep. These rebuilt 40s will be around a lot longer and will be enjoyed a lot longer than one left to rust away.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom