The FJ Company - 1977 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting up progress pics. I have had the pleasure of seeing the FJ Company's work up close. I think you guys do an excellent job, I think every muddier would agree if they could see one up close

If your the type of person who likes nice clean new looking frames then I guess I'm obliged to agree ... nice job :)

Btw my frame was bent (65 mph rollover side over side) so it does happen ... mines all good now

I have seen others bent... but... usually because the rot/crack in one spot was so great that it sagged :meh:

FJ.co blast and powder their frames. The rest is chemically stripped, then followed by manual tools.

Their stuff is legit nice... Exactly the way I would restore them if I were running a company. (maybe I would soda blast everything tho) I especially love the 1FZ engine option.

As far as value goes regarding original vs restored... I have never seen an original go for $160k like the 43 they built and sold at Bonhams last summer. That thing was near perfection. Like most of their recent work... And that Venation Blue that is currently their cover rig is sweet as well. The color is a Porsche color, but still looks pretty nice...

Inspirational work, keep it up!

I seem to recall reading about an all original literally <20K original miles one going for $143k or something like that. The original owner bought it drove it for a couple of years and then passed away. It sat in the garage until the spouse passed away and then was auctioned off. No UV exposure for all those years a true unicorn. I wish I could find that again...

Is this shop like a static free clean room? I have never seen a shop like that. Anal-Retentive mechanic:cool::rolleyes:

Nice work though.....

Question: Why is the bedliner/protective coating only applied to the underbody but not the fender wells?

I love the clean, organized shop. The only way (in my mind) to produce consistent, high quality results on a continuing basis.

Frame/chassis look fantastic.

HI, I like a clean ,organized shop...well it's a dream anyway. Very nice work. Mike

A long overdue update has arrived....

Our 1977 FJ40 Restoration is complete. This truck was a little different than our typical restoration. This was kept mostly factory, with some thoughtful additions that keep 1977 spec in mind.

As @BTG88 mentioned earlier in this thread, the timing is off on this one, we ran into a handful of complications, one of those being the PTO winch. Delving into the intricacies of these rare, but beloved winches proved to be very difficult and complicated to say the least. With enough time and parts scouring we were able to develop a functional product straight out of Toyota's history books.

Without a doubt one of my favorite builds to date....although I've said that multiple times now, it truly is an amazing build, in one of my favorite 40 colors.

Please enjoy a few of the final shots...

image_591cc79b4cd4c_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Studio_001.jpg

image_591cc851a412f_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Studio_005.jpg

Bask in all of it's mechanically powered glory...

image_591cc98e77906_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Studio_012.jpg

Restored pieces come together with new hardware and attention to detail.

image_591cc9ea24c0a_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Studio_014.jpg

The perfect complement to a period correct resto. With the off-white wheels and modest all terrains, couldn't have asked for a more appropriate combo. It just works.

image_591ccb229f87e_The-FJ-Company-1977-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Yellow-249508---Studio_021.jpg

Comments welcome, more to come soon....

Looks Great !! I like the detail on the winch !!
JP

Beautiful truck! I like that the wheels have 6 spokes now to match the 6 lugs. That always bothers me when lugs don't center on the spokes.

Pics of the engine bay and interior?

Beautiful truck! I like that the wheels have 6 spokes now to match the 6 lugs. That always bothers me when lugs don't center on the spokes.

Pics of the engine bay and interior?
they're oem wagons from a later 40 series.

Looks good. The original color of my truck is Mustard so it's nice to get an idea of what it would look like if I repainted over the multicolored exterior.

I'm still trying to get past not having the proper lock tabs on the locking hub nuts :)

Seriously, that is beautiful and will make a lot of people smile. I drooled over your pictures while I was doing my build.

You said "comments welcome."

Plating the fairlead rollers is a liberty taken too far. They draw unwarranted attention. And raise (unnecessary) questions about originality.

Whether to paint or plate the mounting hardware is a debate worth having. But the rollers should be black.

It's not like black paint would ever get scuffed on this particular winch in the future anyway. The correct chain (which that one is not) would also be black.

There is too much of a color-mishmash going on---silver paint on the bumper, bright wire rope and chain, yellow rollers and hardware and the black winch. It's just too busy.

In my opinion everything should be black except for the silver bumper and the bright wire rope. It is the simple "less is more" approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom