Builds The Escape Wagon Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd love to see how you do this, I still need one for mine!
Would one from a 60 not line up? The holes in the frame may already be there as well and the cross member and t-case are in the same spot as a 60. I was planning on trying this on my brothers 62 after doing the swap in his

Would one from a 60 not line up? The holes in the frame may already be there as well and the cross member and t-case are in the same spot as a 60. I was planning on trying this on my brothers 62 after doing the swap in his
First person to solve this with the least amount of work will win a gift of unspeakable value

Mine is from an 84 fj60. To fit it on my 87 I had to grind 1/4” off the front corner so it would clear the crossmember. All the holes are there to mount it up. If you don’t have holes, you could drill them out and tap the frame. Easy enough.

Mine is from an 84 fj60. To fit it on my 87 I had to grind 1/4” off the front corner so it would clear the crossmember. All the holes are there to mount it up. If you don’t have holes, you could drill them out and tap the frame. Easy enough.
That makes sense. The cross member on an 84 is in a different location than a late 85,86 & 87 truck. So the early skid plate is not the same.

First person to solve this with the least amount of work will win a gift of unspeakable value
Ben, I should have clarified this. You’ll want to source a late 60 model skid plate.

Ben, I should have clarified this. You’ll want to source a late 60 model skid plate.
I’m thinking worst case you would have to drill holes and put in nutserts. But for some reason I think the holes are already there on a 62 frame.

Ben, I should have clarified this. You’ll want to source a late 60 model skid plate.Perfect
Thanks Jimmy
Im running out of things to buy and fix so I’ll go hunting one down!

I’m thinking worst case you would have to drill holes and put in nutserts. But for some reason I think the holes are already there on a 62 frame.
On my 60 there are more holes in the frame where the skid plate could mount up, but they are not tapped and are clearly for a different plate. I suppose they drilled all the holes out and added threads to the ones for specific models. 87 being a transitional year it makes sense that they’d have holes for the early and late style skid plates. I’ve never looked close enough to the under side of a 62 to know if it has multiple sets of holes.

This is on my list of things to do. I held up a late model FJ60 skid plate on my H55 swapped FJ62 at @CenTXFJ60 barn. The skid lined up, but my FJ62 exhaust on the outside frame rail where it crosses the frame back to the muffler was in the way. I still have the two cats, but I think it could be modified to work. Something like an OTRAMM single cat exhaust would solve the issue easily.

Can someone post up a couple photos of a late model 60 skid plate, and what it’s coverage is, etc ??

I’ve actually never seen one and could not find in searching. I may be considering this as well.

Can someone post up a couple photos of a late model 60 skid plate, and what it’s coverage is, etc ??

I’ve actually never seen one and could not find in searching. I may be considering this as well.

Here is a thread by @4Cruisers that has good pics of the early and late model FJ60 skids.

Thanks
If anyone has a photo of it mounted Id love to see it.

Not the best pic...

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 5.18.18 PM.png

This is on my list of things to do. I held up a late model FJ60 skid plate on my H55 swapped FJ62 at @CenTXFJ60 barn. The skid lined up, but my FJ62 exhaust on the outside frame rail where it crosses the frame back to the muffler was in the way. I still have the two cats, but I think it could be modified to work. Something like an OTRAMM single cat exhaust would solve the issue easily.
I had this issue with my '86 FJ60 build a few years ago - 3FE and H55f. I'd thought about using the FJ62 donor vehicle exhaust system, but decided on a hybrid approach. I had a custom section of exhaust fabricated from the 3FE exhaust manifolds to the single FJ60 catalytic converter, located in the original spot using the FJ60 brackets. I had a fairly new OEM FJ62 muffler and tailpipe assembly in the donor vehicle that I wanted to use. The section of pipe ahead of the muffler is shorter on the FJ62, so I had the muffler shop fabricate a short pup section. And the flanges are different between the FJ60 and FJ62. When finished, it looks like the vehicle came that way from the factory, and I eliminated the exhaust pipe crossing under the frame as well as the skid plate interference. See my Post #24 here for more details: 4 speed done on the 62 now need an exhaust. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/4-speed-done-on-the-62-now-need-an-exhaust.1213987/page-2#post-13142377

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom