Builds The Escape Wagon Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two minor additions.
1. Kill/no-start switch wired via the neutral safety switch
2. Replaced the vacuum diagram decal as the original was completely illegible.

BE918E11-904B-44A5-B763-B269FF0606FB.jpeg

BB17AB64-E3A7-4876-88C6-CD69160A06B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Home stretch
Steam cleaned the headliner and door cards.
Fixed a few loose spots (foam separating from metal) inthe steering wheel using horse sized hypodermic and brown gorilla glue.
I’ll be sewing on a Wheelskins leather wrap in a couple weeks so wanted the steering wheel sorted ahead of time.

3F6CDBDD-45A1-44AA-B1AE-6EC67851E136.jpeg

9BF0C3B9-F1C2-4CDD-8116-1F78D4D6198C.jpeg

04DDC8F2-49BC-4C45-96B2-6A5235909FA9.jpeg

Reminder to check the easy stuff first.
I was experiencing a rough idle after fine tuning my valve lash. I assumed that I must be the LEAST talented valve adjuster on MUD having adjusted them three times to get rid of the rumble.
Did an adjustment again last night....WORSE.

Then I thought....what else causes a rough idle?

Bingo....crack in the air intake that must have opened up on valve adjustment attempt #1.
Have a new part inbound but it’s all sorted with electrical tape for now.

Went ahead and did cap/rotor/valve cover gasket while I was in there.

81F083C7-8359-413C-96EE-159936518881.jpeg

4C430D78-6DA4-4E09-976A-74DA8D01C102.jpeg

That looks really nice. I’m a huge fan of the thin hard plastic steering wheel. It just feels vintage when I’m driving. But, that wrap looks very comfy.
Thanks.
The wheel was in good shape overall externally and the gorilla glue I shot inside took care of the parts that were separating from the steel hoop.
This was done primarily to keep the external vinyl from sun cracking over time. It’ll eventually end up in Arizona and 62 wheels are getting harder to find and more expensive to replace every year.

Man, me too. Oddly, its one of my favorite 'features' of my 60 series. But I could see where a wrap would feel good in the hands. Looks nice.
To be honest it turned out way better than I expected. Took my time, like 2.5 hours to make sure each stitch had the same tension, stitch line stayed straight etc.

Man, me too. Oddly, its one of my favorite 'features' of my 60 series. But I could see where a wrap would feel good in the hands. Looks nice.

The wheelskins wraps are very nice, especially if the original steering wheel is starting to delaminate from its core as @EscapeWagon62 mentions. Mine was terrible. The wrap tightens everything back up nicely and helps prevent further cracking/separating.
I bought a second one.

Great job on the stitching detail!

Happy to say I’ve been doing more driving and less tinkering. It’s running like a champ,
I did get the replacement air cleaner/intake hose installed.
Also staged up for:
- 4Runner wiper arm upgrade
- Orange fluorescent/ black Testors paint for the instrument gagues
- Novus polishing kit for the clear instrument cluster lenses.

1CCCF139-BDB4-4C31-81A3-EF2655196060.jpeg

0B4E79E8-D9CE-46F4-BE9A-6E910D9F3F3E.jpeg

647F611F-2428-4373-B36B-D1D016092070.jpeg

Last edited:
Happy to say I’ve been doing more driving and less tinkering. It’s running like a champ,
I did get the replacement air cleaner/intake hose installed.
Also staged up for:
- 4Runner wiper arm upgrade
- Neon orange, black Testors paint for the instrument gagues
- Novus polishing kit for the clear instrument cluster lenses.

View attachment 2702799

View attachment 2702800

View attachment 2702801
You’ll love that Novus kit! I use it on airplane windows and headlights all the time. I’d start with 2, buff out and see how you like it. 3 can be pretty coarse for plexi as thin as the gauge cluster cover on an FJ 62! This is my favorite thread on MUD! Keep it up and enjoy!

You’ll love that Novus kit! I use it on airplane windows and headlights all the time. I’d start with 2, buff out and see how you like it. 3 can be pretty coarse for plexi as thin as the gauge cluster cover on an FJ 62! This is my favorite thread on MUD! Keep it up and enjoy!
Thanks for the tip and kind comments 👍

To be honest it turned out way better than I expected. Took my time, like 2.5 hours to make sure each stitch had the same tension, stitch line stayed straight etc.
I did the same thing. Really like it with the leather much better (and my steering wheel's in great shape). Still have the thin feel of the wheel...with just a better overall feel to it.

Got my new cables in from @Fourrunner at Teton Cruisers

View attachment 2709850
Those are the nicest cables. I installed the set with the extra abrasion guard. There were some moments where install was a bit tougher than I would have hoped, but it all goes together very nicely and the connections are very stout. Highly recommend fourrunner cables. Your efi will thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom