Builds The Escape Wagon Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And if you plan on doing this there is a 100% chance you’ll need a SawsAll and/or Dremmel for the old bolts.

E66DE00B-E94B-4D66-A1BF-97D3EF11ABCF.jpeg

I’m torn between going OEM and getting the aluminum kit from manafree. I really need it.
I was lucky enough that the system on the truck was stock setup so the OEM was a relatively easy bolt up. Not being a welder thst made my choice of OEM the preferred path. I wasn’t able to do it solo so my wife came out to help (HAPPY FACTOR = ZERO on her end). On the bright side it was easier for her than when we put in the suspension in Houston sweating our rears off in the garage.

Last edited:
Very, very nice. Anyone know where you can get the stock 62 rear speaker covers?
Www.Shop.cruiserparts.net
When I searched their site they had grills, covers, backing plates.
I ordered just the grill but being fully transparent, the grill/mesh cover and backing plate came together.

9B044605-E808-4E47-9D76-91F3ED7EA088.jpeg

Decided to upgrade the front speaker with some shallow mount Polks I saw in another thread.
I’m re-using the rubber gasket from the old speakers snd relocating the yellow clips where the screws mount since the Polks are 4 tab and the old speakers are 3 tab. To relocate the clips I used a pen to outline it, Drilled a small hole in each corder pf the square and then used a small Dremel curring disk to cut out the opening. This way I used all of the original screws etc.

I did a horrible job taking photos today so no final photo of them installed.
Sounds better for sure and no interference with the window operation.
It worked while retaining the original door card speaker covers.
71CB110E-BE4C-42CF-B80E-6BE270B79D00.jpeg

7D1E3054-EE4B-484F-9257-5B2B37BBB8D2.jpeg

76D66641-4C52-4368-9BB3-A329ECC516F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Decided to upgrade the front speaker with some shallow mount Polks I saw in another thread.
I’m re-using the rubber gasket from the old speakers snd relocating the yellow clips where the screws mount since the Polks are 4 tab and the old speakers are 3 tab. To relocate the clips I used a pen to outline it, Drilled a small hole in each corder pf the square and then used a small Dremel curring disk to cut out the opening. This way I used all of the original screws etc.

I did a horrible job taking photos today so no final photo of them installed.
Sounds better for sure and no interference with the window operation.
It worked while retaining the original door card speaker covers.
View attachment 2663072

View attachment 2663073

View attachment 2663074

Prolly a little late here but have you seen the 3D printed adapters @TheNeek makes for this? Uses the original screws and hardware but would prevent you from having to cut into the doors:

adapter.jpg

His adapter kits include the little screws and nuts to mount the modern speaker to the adapter ring. Then you use the original screws to mount the adapter/speaker to the door. No cutting required. Works with the original door card and speaker grill as well. Sounds like this project is done but thought I would share in case someone else stumbles on this. Sorry if you have seen this before. Carry on.

Prolly a little late here but have you seen the 3D printed adapters @TheNeek makes for this? Uses the original screws and hardware but would prevent you from having to cut into the doors:

View attachment 2663275

His adapter kits include the little screws and nuts to mount the modern speaker to the adapter ring. Then you use the original screws to mount the adapter/speaker to the door. No cutting required. Works with the original door card and speaker grill as well. Sounds like this project is done but thought I would share in case someone else stumbles on this. Sorry if you have seen this before. Carry on.
I’ll reach out to him as that is a great setup.
Good news....only two holes cut todsy before wife wanted other stuff done.
Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
I’m all set with my service lift reservation for next Thursday and excited about the H55F
The rig is running better than ever after the injector service.
AND.....my new 70 series sun visors arrived from Partsouq in the UAE.

View attachment 2514420

View attachment 2514421
I’m new-do the 70 series visors fit a 62? I’ve just acquired my first LC (‘89FJ62) and slowly putting it together. Original visors are pretty torn up and can’t find OEM replacements. Was going to fabricate some but if the 70 series drop in, that would be nice!!

And how was dealing with Partsouq?

thx
BK

I’m new-do the 70 series visors fit a 62? I’ve just acquired my first LC (‘89FJ62) and slowly putting it together. Original visors are pretty torn up and can’t find OEM replacements. Was going to fabricate some but if the 70 series drop in, that would be nice!!

And how was dealing with Partsouq?

thx
BK
Partsouq is great, shipping is high but service, selection and reputation are all good.
The 70 series fits but you have to re-use the 60 series mounting arm. You remove the screw on the visor, remove the two screws holding the pivot arm to the roof. Rotate the arm while pulling it out of the visor to do the swap.
The color of the 70 series is slightly different but when installed you’ll never be able to notice.

Awesome and thank you!
Looks like another run up to Sullivan New Hampshire is in my future.
Your kidding right? Something from NH will need some major TLC!

Oy I must must must do too many things still but I really need to get some of those exhaust rubbers to hang some more pipe.

I think I need to be single again... getting my needs met, not sure its worth letting my truck not get the attention IT deserves.

Yes, everything from Cruiserparts.net (Sullivan NH) generally needs a clean up but the skid plate was better than the bellhousing, crossmember and driveshafts.

On your single vs wrenching......balance is good! Plus you have bees and sixteen other hobbies 😃

Took a little time to print off my build thread in case the interweb goes away in the future. Had to copy and paste each page (not each post) into word, merge all 22 pages, print to Adobe and then print. Had to upgrade Adobe to do it and the file is over 200 meg.
I had to laugh because at least three times over the years I said “I’m just about finished”
Here it is in all of its current glory….all 527 pages of it!

91DC34F7-EB38-4861-862A-FC7121C5EB2E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom